Muggles

InHope

OK. I was going to do my first mark today---in the rain mind you--- but I got spooked becasue there were a few people outside a bar staring at me. I realize that I should try to be casual, but the location of this mark makes that kind of hard.

Is there a general rule about X# of people being around? My fear was that I'd find my first cache and be super happy, only to have some drunks get nosey and ruin things...and then I'd feel bad, which is the opposite of what I'm shooting for. Or if I'm in the park and there are people, etc. Am I being overly skiddish?

No, you can't trust muggles. You have to assume they will all jack the cache. Discression in hunting is the rule. However if you are caught don't lie, that just creats issues.

If you are caught red handed and your sixth sence tells you that the cache is going to be MIA once you leave, take it with you and contact the owner.

If you found the cache but it's a busy area it's always best to take it somewhere else to sign the log. Then if someone comes along during the signing and trading stage, they see you in the car but not at the cache site.

sometimes when this happens I bite myself....well, ya know.... then I take out my handy dany note card pile. Put my name the date and my smiley sticker on a quarter of a note card and do a dash/drop.... I usually kick myself because I see ALOT of COOL stuff that if I'd wait long enough (but that takes up WAY too much caching time...) I coulda traded for. I usually make sure I place my card with the log book when I do this

The way I look at it, I'm not in this sport for a cloak and dagger game. If someone picks a poor place to hide their cache, its not my problem. I just walk up, grab it, sign in and replace it.

I think the upside of this is that I probably draw a lot less attention than someone who is skulking around the cache site, looking over their shoulder to see if anyone is watching.

The way I look at it, I'm not in this sport for a cloak and dagger game. If someone picks a poor place to hide their cache, its not my problem. I just walk up, grab it, sign in and replace it.

I think the upside of this is that I probably draw a lot less attention than someone who is skulking around the cache site, looking over their shoulder to see if anyone is watching.

I've brought up that point many times. It's not some stealth mission to recover a lost tupperware container lol. Some of the people on here sound really funny and immature. I've also read some really disturbing stuff, such as people carrying guns (not for hunting animals) while geocaching. Now I have to worry about being killed while geocaching. If theres people carrying guns while geocaching, I think the last thing I'm going to worry about is someone looking over my sholder being curious about what I'm doing.

I've brought up that point many times. It's not some stealth mission to recover a lost tupperware container lol. Some of the people on here sound really funny and immature. I've also read some really disturbing stuff, such as people carrying guns (not for hunting animals) while geocaching. Now I have to worry about being killed while geocaching. If theres people carrying guns while geocaching, I think the last thing I'm going to worry about is someone looking over my sholder being curious about what I'm doing.

I think the topic was finding caches while non geocachers are about. Please stick to it.

Edited by briansnat

Personal attacks (and commentary) aside, I'm not concerned about someone looking over my shoulder. I don't want to do anything that would ruin the chache location.

I usually pretend that I'm on the phone when there are Muggles around. That way I just look like im pacing back and forth while having a conversation. Sometimes I pretend my GPSr is my phone. it's a little large, (60cx)but from a distance people usually won't notice. Using the GPSr as a phone is better than a real phone because not only am I pointing it up maintaining a sat lock, I can also grab a quick look at the screen and it looks as if im checking my signal or something. ;)

This is exactly how I feel about these caches. If you don't want your free 35mm cache, hidden two feet from a store window, to disappear, then don't hide it there. Lamppost hides in busy parking lots a classic example of this type of exposed hide.

Personal attacks (and commentary) aside, I'm not concerned about someone looking over my shoulder. I don't want to do anything that would ruin the chache location.
The majority of the time, the cache locations aren't in a nice area. Cachers who place high visibility caches should expect them to disappear from time to time.

Caches on hiking trails, or anything larger than a micro deserve as much as stealth as you can give while hunting them.

I usually pretend that I'm on the phone when there are Muggles around. That way I just look like im pacing back and forth while having a conversation. Sometimes I pretend my GPSr is my phone. it's a little large, (60cx)but from a distance people usually won't notice. Using the GPSr as a phone is better than a real phone because not only am I pointing it up maintaining a sat lock, I can also grab a quick look at the screen and it looks as if im checking my signal or something. :D

Ok, what are Muggles? Is this a Geocaching word? :D

I usually pretend that I'm on the phone when there are Muggles around. That way I just look like im pacing back and forth while having a conversation. Sometimes I pretend my GPSr is my phone. it's a little large, (60cx)but from a distance people usually won't notice. Using the GPSr as a phone is better than a real phone because not only am I pointing it up maintaining a sat lock, I can also grab a quick look at the screen and it looks as if im checking my signal or something. :laughing:

Ok, what are Muggles? Is this a Geocaching word? :lol:

"Muggles, geocaching-speak for non-geocachers who are unaware of the game's existence"

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggles

I usually pretend that I'm on the phone when there are Muggles around. That way I just look like im pacing back and forth while having a conversation. Sometimes I pretend my GPSr is my phone. it's a little large, (60cx)but from a distance people usually won't notice. Using the GPSr as a phone is better than a real phone because not only am I pointing it up maintaining a sat lock, I can also grab a quick look at the screen and it looks as if im checking my signal or something. :ph34r:

Ok, what are Muggles? Is this a Geocaching word? :ph34r:

"Muggles, geocaching-speak for non-geocachers who are unaware of the game's existence"

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggles

Well, well. Life is great you learn something new every day.