Great News!

Girlies should know Quality over Quantity any day of the week. :ph34r:

Meaning? We all play the game the way we want to play it. How would you know if you did a good cache if you don`t have a point of reference which comes from finding varied types of caches. If you don`t have a point of reference, how would you know if it was a quality cache?

Pengy

Unfortunately "quality" doesn't form part of the review process. :ph34r: If you think this is a shame I would have to agree. When we review caches we do so to ensure that they comply with current guidelines. I have had to publish many caches that I thought were very "weak" but complied with the guidelines.

Can you imagine the furore that would ensue if I started to apply my "subjective" view of what is and isn't a "good" cache :ph34r: !!

Not seeing a smiley I assume you are making a serious point so I will answer in a similar vein.

You define an experienced cacher as someone who has done more than 500 caches. So 499 finds, a rookie, one more find and "Bing"! - now you know what you're doing.

In my view, and in the view of Groundspeak who vet and approve all new reviewers, and in the opnion of all the other reviewers around the world who also get a chance to comment, Dave encapsulates enough qualities to make him an excellent addition to the reviewing team. Maybe he has "only" done 300 odd caches but I really don't see that as a problem. He has also been involved in negotiations with landowners and has organised a number of events. He has been a cacher for nearly 4 years, not long possibly but in geocaching terms that makes him an "old timer".

I am totally confident in his ability to do the "job". I trust you will find my confidence well placed as time goes on.

i seem to reamember some forum posts not so long ago that say the exact opposite to this

but hey

what do i know

You define an experienced cacher as someone who has done more than 500 caches. So 499 finds, a rookie, one more find and "Bing"! - now you know what you're doing.

You know it was an approximate figure, varying shades of grey, there is no one point where you are suddenly experienced. ( You have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince/princess :ph34r: )

Agreed I think he has done great work for the land owners and his events. As you say, we`ll only know with time, and it will take the pressure off ones like yourself in a very time consuming job.

I know personally we`d never have put ourselves up for such a job, knowing what is involved and the amount of time it takes.

But if Dave thinks he`s up to the challenge, then fair do's to him. And if you think that he is up to the challenge, well I hope we`ll have and an extra pair of hands, and give yourself some time to actually do some caching.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say..... :ph34r:

Pengy

Good on yer! :ph34r:

Thanks, I reckon we'll be fine. Actually I managed some (very wet) caching yesterday while I took a few hours off to go to the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff for a very important football match. Needless to say I was a very happy bunny at the result :ph34r::ph34r:;)

[Agreed I think he has done great work for the land owners and his events. As you say, we`ll only know with time, and it will take the pressure off ones like yourself in a very time consuming job.

[ /quote]

Surely land on which to place caches is the backbone of the sport .

What better experience could there in that respect than a C.V. that includes great work with landowners ?

Mancunian Pyrocacher 's profile explains to us two why his number of caches found is not higher than it is in relation the the number of years he has beem associated with caching .but more than enough finds not to be considered inexperienced in that aspect .

Edited by t.a.folk

I looked back to see if there was a smiley in Pengy's original post and was surprised that there was not - so much so that I refrained from posting my views there and then as I might have written something I might regret as I have great respect for both parties.

So I was very glad that Lactodorum expressed just what I had been feeling much more neatly than I might have done and also to read Pengy's reply.

For my money, though Dave may not have set many caches, what he has done has been good and he has put far more into the game than most of us. His experience in my opinion is well up to what is needed and I wish him well.

i seem to reamember some forum posts not so long ago that say the exact opposite to this

but hey

what do i know

You sound bitter...why? :ph34r:

I'm just very thankful that Deceangi is willing to take on the job - and only want to wish him all the best. :ph34r:

VB