Vancouver

kashia

I'll be in Vancouver for a few days, starting June 4. I have that afternoon and all the next day free. If the weather cooperates I'll rent a bike and ride around Stanley Park, which has a lot of caches. Any 'must-dos'? I also want to go to Granville Island, which has a couple of caches according to Google Earth. I'll be staying at the Pan Pacific for those 2 nights, so downtown/waterfront caches nearby would be cool. After that I'm at UBC for 3 days. Maybe a bit of free time, but not a lot.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ian

Hey there,

I was just out in Vancouver for work and just returned to Ontario. Your route sounds similar, as I did some caches in Stanley Park and out at UBC. My favourite of all the bunch was Acadia Beach. It had a beautiful view.

The Stanley Park ones were okay - I ended up doing a couple of micros in there (I did it while running). The nicest may have been "Is it 4:20pm already?!?" , as it took you near some nice gardens. I also did "Vancouver Decachelon - Stump Jumping" I enjoyed that one as I had a real hard time with reception, so I was glad to finally find.

I had a hard time with quite a few caches in the downtown and Stanley Park area, as so many muggles were about. A very interesting Fountain indeed!!! was a fun micro and is on the way to Stanley Park.

Hope this helps.

Legofamily

Hey there!

There are lots of great caches in the downtown area. A postal code close to the centre of downtown is V7Y 1K4. Search that, and you should see quite a few.

Favorites of mine:

Stumpjumping

Sunset View

Manor of Fact

Two of mine:

Skytraining:Waterfront Terminus

Fountain of My®th

Hope you enjoy Vancouver!

BC Tripper :D

If you start from a downtown hotel and bike the seawall, you can hit quite a few caches along coal harbour (Hastings St area) on the way to Stanley Park, around Stanley park seawall, continue along the seawall to Science World via English Bay and Yaletown (Pacific Ave), and then on to Granville Island and Vanier Park near Kits Beach. You would get a great sense of what Vancouver is about, hit plenty of caches, and you would never need to leave the level, seawall bike path. You could then get back to downtown on one of the aquabuses that run from Vanier Park to the foot of Thurlow.

My Enigma cache is not too far from this route, try to do the puzzle on the plane (most say 10-15 min to do) and enjoy it too :ninja:

BTW, My favourite Fish and Chip spot (go fish) is near False Creek #3 at the Fisherman's wharf just outside of Granville Island.

Part 2 would be to continue biking from Vanier Park (You could get there directly via Burrard St from Pan Pacific) to UBC, hitting caches in Pacific Spirit Park, but that would be much more difficult riding. You could likely find several UBC/PSP caches while at UBC.

Hi there! I live in the Van area and just got three caches downtown today. Seem to be lots there. The ones I found were "Manor of Fact", "Stanley's Secret Animal Code", and "Sunset View". I'm new at this and found these all without difficulty, so they're easy enough. If you want a geocaching companion who's more or less familiar with the area, email me. I'm new at this and I've never met another geocacher.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. At this point I'm waiting to see what the weather will be like on Sunday & Monday. It's very unlikely that I'll have any free time while at UBC, other than the occasionaly 10 minute break. Evenings are also occupied. I'll do a pocket query and get all the caches into my GPS and Palm.

Riddlemethis - thanks for the biking info. I bike a lot here (did 41K with big hills yesterday) so a long flat ride around the seawall would be just fine. I had just noticed on my map that the path goes all the way around Stanley Park and then continues to Granville Island and beyond.

Ian