Geocaching Youth Website!

Hey there at the moment i have been undergoing a project the project being making a website for the youth of geocaching my reasons for wanting to make this website are the following:

1/ The geocaching youth can be like the adults and have there say on geocaching

2/ The geocaching youth can have a place to go and discuss what they like to fellow geocaching youth

3/ To make the geocaching youth's experience more fun by them comunicating with fellow geocaching youth via the chatroom or forum!

4/ So the geocaching youth feel equal within geocaching!

I would really like the website to catch on because i feel that it is important that kids can express them selves like you do on these forums so now i ask you the question do you think it is worth it?

Some feed back is much needed!

,Da Rubber Chicken

You knows it makes sense :wub:

Now, once upon a time someone had a similar idea - that any organisation needs to encourage younger members to join in order for it to last (1000 years was his aim) - and so he came up with The Hitler Youth... :ph34r:

No, seriously, it sounds like a good idea to me. Best of luck with it if you go ahead. :wub:

I would certainly support the idea in principle. However one word of warning - there are some "real" wierdo's out there (not Geocachers who are just wierd :wub: ) and these "people" often trawl sites devoted to young people in search of victims. I'd hate for anyone to come to any harm as a result.

I'm thinking of a situation where someone purporting to be a youngster arranges to meet you at a geocache, say deep in the woods, and................... :ph34r: !!

Well I won't go on.

So just be very careful.

Great idea, its a wonderful thing to have the Youth involved in something like this. They are often portrayed as bored youngsters with nothing to do. This is perfect for them. Although I would think that it should be run by adults because of certain 'elements' that could spoil things. Not least the 'lurker' as mentioned in another post. The experience of an adult is worth a lot to a 'new' organisation. Go for it.

Red Squadron............John & Ann

I think it's a fabulous idea, but I would suggest that you perhaps encourage older younger people on board too, perhaps who can share experences, but also to keep a wtchfiul eye open for any "strange" people.

There are lots of cachers out there who are younger... and by that I mean over 18 but not yet ancient!! I'm sure they would be only too happy to help out. I know I would - if I'm not too old at the ancient age of 32!

Hazel

Great idea, its a wonderful thing to have the Youth involved in something like this. They are often portrayed as bored youngsters with nothing to do. This is perfect for them. Although I would think that it should be run by adults because of certain 'elements' that could spoil things. Not least the 'lurker' as mentioned in another post. The experience of an adult is worth a lot to a 'new' organisation. Go for it.

Red Squadron............John & Ann

Agree with above, one of my concerns would be the wirdos mentioned, the other being the wrong kind of yoof (here's the cynic in me) playing a variation of the game whereby they go 'GeoTrashing'.

Maybe they won't, as they'll need a GPSr, and a sense of direction etc, but you get the point.

The boards and chat-rooms will need moderation, too of course. I hear good ol' Loactodorum has lots of spare time on his hands recently, maybe he'll volounteer!

Good luck with it, it should be good!

As an aside, during my weekend at the "Commercial" event in Borrowdale I gave a talk to a group of young teenagers (probably 14-15 year olds) from an inner city school in Manchester. I also took them on a geocache hunt for the first time.

I couldn't have wished for a nicer bunch of people. They were naturally "exuberant" but interested, attentive and enthusiatic. With people like that coming into Geocaching I reckon we have a great future as a sport. :ph34r:

Why do you need to differentiate between "them" and "us". Sure, we're 60-year olds but we have geocaching friends under half our age and we can communicate with them quite happily. We have kids half our age and grandchildren an eighth of our age but we all still communicate quite happily.

Does the youth you are referring to speak a different language? We doubt it.

We're ALL geocaches, irrespective of age, colour, religion, etc. In that respect we're all equal so why erect barriers where they are not needed.

Why do you need to differentiate between "them" and "us". Sure, we're 60-year olds but we have geocaching friends under half our age and we can communicate with them quite happily. We have kids half our age and grandchildren an eighth of our age but we all still communicate quite happily.

We're ALL geocaches, irrespective of age, colour, religion, etc. In that respect we're all equal so why erect barriers where they are not needed.

Lol sometimes when iam chatting to DRC it takes me a few moments to translate what he has said to something resembling English. So, yes sometimes the youfs do speak a different language :ph34r:

Er, you spoken to a teenager lately, read their MSN messages, read their text messages? Double dutch to me! :ph34r:

No seriously, great idea for a Youth website, just keep your wits about you as has already been stated, and just keep it open so any of us 'oldies' can take a peek to keep an eye on things!

Hey there at the moment i have been undergoing a project the project being making a website for the youth of geocaching my reasons for wanting to make this website are the following:

1/ The geocaching youth can be like the adults and have there say on geocaching

2/ The geocaching youth can have a place to go and discuss what they like to fellow geocaching youth

3/ To make the geocaching youth's experience more fun by them comunicating with fellow geocaching youth via the chatroom or forum!

4/ So the geocaching youth feel equal within geocaching!

I would really like the website to catch on because i feel that it is important that kids can express them selves like you do on these forums so now i ask you the question do you think it is worth it?

Some feed back is much needed!

,Da Rubber Chicken

I think the Geocaching experience is and should be all about sharing.

But as been expressed by others certain concerns i.e. "grooming" and strong moderator presence need to be in place as has been seen from these forums in recent days.

I am not a parent but a compromise to allay fears that parents may have might be for a daily summary of the web sites events to be posted on this forum thereby reducing the parental intrusion into your domain.

This would also allow you a quick call for help route if things went awry.

If this forum is failing in providing access for the younger members I've no objection to changes being made to suit.

If you do opt for your own set up and act as creator/moderator please ensure that you have the time, ability and commitment that the task will entail.

I wish you well with your project and if you go with the summary route I look forward to seeing what you do.

If only I was 40 years younger I could visit your domain.

Good Luck

Colin

Edited by Malpas Wanderer