Garmin And Macintosh - Future Discount?

I've been trying to get a definitive answer from Garmin on this. If I buy the Windows MapSource software now, will I have to pay full price when I buy the Macintosh MapSource software when it becomes available.

I've only gotten a guess at the answer but this is not something to make a purchase on.

Has anyone gotten a straight answer from Garmin?

Thanks.

Paul

I've been trying to get a definitive answer from Garmin on this. If I buy the Windows MapSource software now, will I have to pay full price when I buy the Macintosh MapSource software when it becomes available.

"Mapsource" is free. What you pay for as the map data (City Select, Topo, etc.) that Mapsource uses.

"Mapsource" is free. What you pay for as the map data (City Select, Topo, etc.) that Mapsource uses.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

The question is still valid however. Has anyone gotten a committment from Garmin on future plans?

Why would buying Windows Software allow you a discount on a Mac version?

Why would buying Windows Software allow you a discount on a Mac version?

Because it makes good business sense to, that's why.

A Macintosh user will be more likely to buy a Garmin unit now knowing that they can also buy the maps, install on a handy PC, and get native operation later. I'm not willing to shell out > $200 now and shell out an almost equivalent amount in December, but I would like auto-routing now. And I'm sure Garmin would like my money now, as opposed to later.

They could require me to return the DVD or whatever, or make the new maps use the same unlock codes, so I don't have 2 copies anymore.

Paul

Yes, I am holding on to that believe too. Future updates (yes, I suspect we'll need to pay for map update cost $75) will most likely combine Mac and PC functionalities on the same CD/DVD. It makes no sense for Garmin to produce separate Mac and PC versions of their packaged products. Given that the actual software is free, I can't think of a reason why Garmin would make the transition across to Mac so difficult. Their licensing SN system works well for this transition.

Oh, I can't imagine that Garmin will do anything different than publish free OS X versions of some or all of the various programs they now give away for free on their website. The Mapquest CDs contain only data, and the data should be platform-independent (like jpgs or text files).

Oh, I can't imagine that Garmin will do anything different than publish free OS X versions of some or all of the various programs they now give away for free on their website. The Mapquest CDs contain only data, and the data should be platform-independent (like jpgs or text files).

"should be" is the operative word here.

Garmin says that now, they have a sale now.

Paul

Seeing as how Garmin is a publicly traded company, I believe they can not discuss any future plans by law. Doing so could potentially drive up their stock price, and if they have to then change the plan, it would be seen as stock manipulation. That is why Garmin employees continued to say they had no plans to offer Mac support until the day before they announced that they would, in fact, support the Mac.

If you can't afford to buy it twice, my advice would be to wait and see.

Seeing as how Garmin is a publicly traded company, I believe they can not discuss any future plans by law. Doing so could potentially drive up their stock price, and if they have to then change the plan, it would be seen as stock manipulation. That is why Garmin employees continued to say they had no plans to offer Mac support until the day before they announced that they would, in fact, support the Mac.

I don't quite buy that. They had a press release saying the would offer Macintosh support, even gave a timeline for which products would have it.

Paul

Yes, but now that they've done so they have a legal obligation to their stockholders to carry through on their plans. If Garmin was to announce that it would be compatible, and then for technical reasons it couldn't be, that would be actionable.

In my opinion, generally speaking if you're getting screvved somehow there's lawyers behind it.

I'm very interested in this topic since I'm a Mac user planning on buying my first GPS and I'm leaning towards a Garmin. I used the Garmin website to send questions about Mac support (is it on schedule? will the software be free?). Here's the reply I got from Luke Razack of Garmin Europe:

In regard to your email, unfortunately there have currently been no official

announcements as to when Mac support / software will be made available

however I would be inclined to suggest before the end of 2006. There have

also been no official announcements as to how the software will be made

available although I would be surprised if there was a fee involved. The

first place you will be able to see confirmed answer to your questions will

be the Garmin website in the future months.

Of course he's being cautious, but he does say "I would be surprised if there was a fee involved". I would also be surprised: I'm pretty sure the software will be free to download.

I also notice the following in the description of the latest firmware release for the 60csx (2.90):

* Improve Garmin USB Mac support.

So even though they don't have any Mac software ready for the public yet, this does indicate that they're working on it.

* Improve Garmin USB Mac support.

So even though they don't have any Mac software ready for the public yet, this does indicate that they're working on it.

Garmin wasn't exactly the first to ship software to talk to Garmin GPSes on Mac. Let's just say that other developers with access to USB protocol analyzers and specs helped to turn up the heat on this issue.

Edited by robertlipe