The Amazing Race Event

Hi!

I'm considering a "competitive" event here in Portland using the TV show "The Amazing Race" as a template. Basically, everyone would start at the same place at the same time. The point of this thread is to get ideas of things to do along the way. There might be some logistical problems depending on how many teams wanted to participate in the event. We wouldn't want 5 teams (10 people) all arriving at a location at the same time.

Here are some ideas:

- Place containers around the city, each container has ribbons that must be collected by each team

- Require teams to complete a puzzle cache (possibly at the beginning to space teams apart)

- Each completed leg has coordinates to the next leg

- Some legs would be walking, some driving, taking the trolly?

Any thoughts or ideas about how to implement or problems with implementation?

when i do land nav courses for my soldiers, i set up a code for each station. each team is assigned a number, and at each point you see something like this:

1 AB

2 CD

3 EF

4 GH

5 IJ

-you get the idea. you make sure that no point or team has identical codes, and make a master key for the scoring station. even if two or more teams get there at the same time, their codes are different. unless you have someone writing down the codes for every team, he would still have to go to multiple points to get 'em, and most folks are too lazy to do that. plus if there's a time limit, then competitiveness (selfishness?) takes over, and "screw you buddy, i got mine" is the rule of the day. maybe you can work something like this into your challenges, i hope i have helped you out.

Much like what "Smart Sapper" said. My company (Army) has done competitive GPS races. Instead of going in a determined sequential order it is more interesting to give out all the coordinates and have the teams determine the fastest way to obtain all the points (codewords in our case). When you go in some sort of order you only end up following each other unless each team has its own route.

You might want to check with the organizers of the Great Smoky Mtn GeoQuest . It was not a race but many of the teams raced anyway. (My team included.) There were "physical" challenges along the way that were supposed to determine the placings.

I like the idea of all coordinates being given to all teams at the same time; this allows each team to figure out which order they would like to complete the caches/tasks/

Good luck!

Hi!

I'm considering a "competitive" event here in Portland using the TV show "The Amazing Race" as a template. Basically, everyone would start at the same place at the same time. The point of this thread is to get ideas of things to do along the way. There might be some logistical problems depending on how many teams wanted to participate in the event. We wouldn't want 5 teams (10 people) all arriving at a location at the same time.

Here are some ideas:

- Place containers around the city, each container has ribbons that must be collected by each team

- Require teams to complete a puzzle cache (possibly at the beginning to space teams apart)

- Each completed leg has coordinates to the next leg

- Some legs would be walking, some driving, taking the trolly?

That's called Urban Adventure Racing.

One of the local Geocachers sets up one of these every year called the "Pocono Shotgun Event". There are 10 teams and ten caches. The teams meet at a prearranged location and are given the coordinates of a cache. They must then find the cache and retrieve their envelope containing a puzzle piece and the coords to the next cache. After you have all the pieces, the coords to the final cache are on the back of the puzzle. It is a race to see who is FTF on the final cache. We won the first year. It encompased a couple hundred miles and took us until the wee morning hours to finish. We had a blast! :smile:

To prevent all of the teams heading to locations at the same time, start them each in a different direction. Have Team A headed to Point 1, while Team B is headed to Point 2, Team C to Point 3, etc. They all have to get a ribbon from each point, they just get them in a different order from each other.

To prevent all of the teams heading to locations at the same time, start them each in a different direction. Have Team A headed to Point 1, while Team B is headed to Point 2, Team C to Point 3, etc. They all have to get a ribbon from each point, they just get them in a different order from each other.

That is how the shotgun event did it. It worked very well, plus every team had the chance for an FTF.

Would such a cache go over today with high gas prices? I considered doing something like that here, but didnt think my local caching community would participate in an event where so much driving would be done.

The one they did last fall was much smaller in area due to gas prices. You can set it up as large or as small as you think cachers in your area would be willing to do.