$100 Rebate On Gps Map 76 Cx And Csx Units

While looking at the Garmin website, I found a rebate form for $100 back on GPS Map 76Cx and CSx GPS units: Garmin rebate form link

shopping around and with the rebate, this brings the price of the 76Cx and CSx under that of the 60Cx and CSx. I know the 76 series comes with a bigger memory card, but other than that, compairing them on the Garmin website, everything else looks the same. Who has tried out both the 76 and 60 series, and which one did you like better?

A better base map (on the 76 v the 60) is less of an issue now because with a 1G micro card you'll probably be loading detailed street maps of the areas you wish to visit anyway. I like the 60 series but would choose whichever is cheaper since they're quite similar.

I prefer the 76 series because of the button placement, to me it's much easier to use the 76 model with one hand. With the buttons so low on the 60 series for me personally (read I know others that feel just the opposite) it was harder to hang onto the unit while manipulating them with one hand and it was more clumsy. I can cradle the center unit in one hand and use my thumb to press the needed buttons with the 60 series I always felt like I had to cradle the very bottom of the unit which seemed harder to do/hang onto or use two hands.

The floating is alright, for me though all it would probably mean is I'd get the extra torchure of watching it float downstream/river faster than I could catch it, and that someone else would probably find a free gps along the shore :ph34r:

That said it's an interesting rebate, $100 off is a lot this early after a new product is released. I wonder if the 76 sales are that much lower than the 60 (I have noticed the 60 seems more popular, I think a lot of people see "marine" with the 76 and figure it's not for them). If the rebate was off the 60/76 series I'd be worried they were already dumping stock to make way for new units.

Function wise now in the "x" series they are almost identical if not identical, the 76 comes with a larger card, but memory is cheap. Before the x units the 76 had a better basemap and more built in non-expandable memory so it was a larger factor then.

The new csx versions have the same basemap however.

A better base map (on the 76 v the 60) is less of an issue now because with a 1G micro card you'll probably be loading detailed street maps of the areas you wish to visit anyway. I like the 60 series but would choose whichever is cheaper since they're quite similar.

What is the topo software that Garmin uses now? I have MapSource Topo and Roads & Rec from my Legend, but if I remember correctly they use a different version now.

Nope, MapSource TopoUS is still the same and you'd be able to use the Topo you got for the Legend with a new 76Cx. Garmin also has the Topo24K series (West, Central, and East) that gives much more detail, but it only applies to National Parks and selected other recreational areas.

BTW, R&R maps would work in the 76Cx as well but they're getting rather dated and don't support auto-routing so you'd probably want to upgrade to CityNavigator.

I am so glad to hear that Mapsource Topo is the same. Now that I think about it, I think it was Magellan that changed their Topo software. I can't exactly remember. I'll start looking into the CityNavigator. I put my order in for my 76 Cx and it should be on its way tomorrow!!!!