How To Better Urban Micros.

I started caching 4 months ago and I am upto 207 finds as of 3 minutes ago. I have 6 hides too. I have some great ideas for the rural /semirural areas, but I am stumped as what to do for the urban areas. I want to avoid the cliche 35mm canisters under the light pole skirt, but I am at a loss for creative ideas for the urban city. Any ideas on how to better the urban micros?

Great urban caches I have done are usually multi-caches that take you to a number of interesting areas. These do not have to end in a micro or even use micros throughout all of the stages. Urban caches are tough to hide due to the usually high muggle traffic in the area. But a regular-sized cache can be hidden and when set up as a multi can be very popular.

Try looking in areas where there are very few caches, then compare them to on-line maps (ect.) and see if the area has any potential.

I've found a couple of good spots in a really cache heavy area, it did take some snooping and leg work but in the end it is worth it for me.

I personally enjoy a good hike, not necessarily a nice hike in the park but some good old fashioned clod crunching - something that takes a bit of effort to get to. Makes finding the cache all the better.

You can be really creative with magnetic key holders. I really like the clue style caches that make you think about the location of the keyholders. You can hide them anywhere, and they virtually impossible for a muggle to find.

Don't just hide one because you're intent on hiding one "somewhere". If the location and/or hide style is not worthwhile for any reason other than "it's another cache/stat", save it until you can find a location that IS worth it. Don't Spew .

Location, Location, Location.

My first lamp post micro was an awe inspiring hide. Never having seen one before it almost stumped me. There is nothing wrong with a unique hide.

Keep your eyes peeled for odd spots. There are a hundred spots that you have driven by and said "I think that would be cool to check out". Well...go check it out. Odds are some are those hidden places that make great urban caches.

Edited by Renegade Knight

check out the 'off your rocker' series. definitely high muggle factor but apparently the owners are cool with it. when i get back to the states i am going there.

Yeah, but you just pointed out the 2 things "wrong" with OYR (MY OPINION, your mileage may vary): High muggle factor, and now that it's a series, it's not original anymore.

Choose a location and/or hide technique that's ORIGINAL, and make it so that searchers can go about their business with as little suspicion from onlookers as possible.

whoa, i'm new to the sport, and i started here in iraq. sorry if i misunderstood the question, but i am trying to learn more, and have checked out caches online to see what is out there. it may be hackneyed to you, but for someone who has been doing this for 3 months, the 'off your rocker' thing seems like a novel idea. one thing i've read about and don't have any interest in is the 'wally world' lamppost caches. oooh, a parking lot. the thing that fascinated me about this sport in the first place is the opportunity to go see someplace unique or interesting. i didn't mean to get anybody fired up.

still would like to know about urban caches and how to place better ones, so i can learn from previous errors or just be original

one thing i've read about and don't have any interest in is the 'wally world' lamppost caches. oooh, a parking lot. the thing that fascinated me about this sport in the first place is the opportunity to go see someplace unique or interesting.

When caching in a strange city I am not familiar with I appreciate a good Wal-Mart hide. I can use my GPS to locate a good place to stock up on supplies.

On several of my urban micros I have posted a bit of historical info about the nearby buildings or people involved in the locations on the cache page. For those who care it will make a routine hide a little more interesting. I've had several parents email thanks to me 'cuz it led to an interesting discussion and further research on the topic with their children.

I have hidden a number of micros. Most of them get good comments because they are fun or unique. From my side I like micros when they are:

1. Hidden someplace interesting, historical, scenic, or unusual

2. A fun puzzle, problem, or challenge at the initial micro and then a full sized cache at the final

3. An interesting or unique container that took some thought, planning, and workmanship

4. Hidden in a novel or unusual way

I think if you do one or more of the above, even a 35mm film canister (or Altoids, or key holder) can be enjoyable. I have been to several that were hidden in plain sight and were a challenge because of how well the container was adapted to blend in with its surroundings. Urban cammo can be lots of fun.

I have hidden a number of micros. Most of them get good comments because they are fun or unique. From my side I like micros when they are:

1. Hidden someplace interesting, historical, scenic, or unusual

2. A fun puzzle, problem, or challenge at the initial micro and then a full sized cache at the final

3. An interesting or unique container that took some thought, planning, and workmanship

4. Hidden in a novel or unusual way

I think if you do one or more of the above, even a 35mm film canister (or Altoids, or key holder) can be enjoyable. I have been to several that were hidden in plain sight and were a challenge because of how well the container was adapted to blend in with its surroundings. Urban cammo can be lots of fun.

The above-quoted post is great advice for any micro-placement, urban or not.

The key, again, is the "putting some thought into it" aspect. If you leave the house with a bag of 20 35mm (or other) micro containers, and the attitude of "I'm going to place all 20 of these today, by God", you're going to place a majority of them with little in the way of extra thought. On the other hand, you might be able to spend a similar amount of time placing 3 or 4 of 5 of them in EXCEPTIONAL fashion or locations by folliowing the above-quoted poster's excellent examples.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I have placed two parking lot micro so far. The hides themselves were not spectacular, but they were placed as to draw attention to some businesses that offer free WiFi. I thought I would place them as a service to cachers to be able to log finds or research caches while out in the field.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I have placed two parking lot micro so far. The hides themselves were not spectacular, but they were placed as to draw attention to some businesses that offer free WiFi. I thought I would place them as a service to cachers to be able to log finds or research caches while out in the field.

(MY OPINION, your mileage my vary): I don't have any problem with your 2 parking lot micros under the following conditions: (1) Specify on the cache page that your cache was placed with the intention to bring cachers to a Free WiFi business (makes it seem a lot less random than "just another parking lot hide", which is how searchers will view it when they arrive), and (2) Limit your placement of these types of hides to just the 1 or 2. It's when 1 or 2 like this become 30, 50, 100, or more that it morphs into Spew .

I published this article on my web site back in '04, and it's pertinent to this discussion now.

whoa, i'm new to the sport, and i started here in iraq. sorry if i misunderstood the question, but i am trying to learn more, and have checked out caches online to see what is out there. it may be hackneyed to you, but for someone who has been doing this for 3 months, the 'off your rocker' thing seems like a novel idea. one thing i've read about and don't have any interest in is the 'wally world' lamppost caches. oooh, a parking lot. the thing that fascinated me about this sport in the first place is the opportunity to go see someplace unique or interesting. i didn't mean to get anybody fired up.

still would like to know about urban caches and how to place better ones, so i can learn from previous errors or just be original

Don't worry about these guys, they're harmless. You just hit on one of the issues that set off crotchety old cachers. Talking about urban micros in the forums is kinda like standing up in the middle of the sermon at church and spouting off Carlin's 7 dirty words. :smile: