Well, Atleast I Thought I Was Ready

MouseFart

I just joined this site a week ago, excited about starting geo-caching, and informed everyone that I had just purchased a Garmin Etrex Camo from EBAY. Today, I received my package in the mail and anxiously tore into it. After the torn wrapping paper and shredded pieces of cardboard box finished falling from the air, I discovered that my GPS was not in this box, instead a lighted EXIT door sign was in there.

I suppose the seller got orders mixed up and my GPS went to the EXIT sign guy and I got his sign. Sent an email to the seller, hopefully we will get this worked out.

Now for part 2.

After finding the EXIT sign in the box I had waited a week and a half for, I was really pi$$ed at this point. All self control went out the window as I flew to Wal-Mart and long story made short, I'm sitting at home now with a new Garmin Legend in my hand and an EXIT sign laying on the kitchen table.

After looking at the Legends owner manual and playing with the unit for a bit, I now have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to order a NASA Space Shuttle Pilots correspondence course to figure this gadget out.

Pray for me.........

I just joined this site a week ago, excited about starting geo-caching, and informed everyone that I had just purchased a Garmin Etrex Camo from EBAY. Today, I received my package in the mail and anxiously tore into it. After the torn wrapping paper and shredded pieces of cardboard box finished falling from the air, I discovered that my GPS was not in this box, instead a lighted EXIT door sign was in there.

I suppose the seller got orders mixed up and my GPS went to the EXIT sign guy and I got his sign. Sent an email to the seller, hopefully we will get this worked out.

Now for part 2.

After finding the EXIT sign in the box I had waited a week and a half for, I was really pi$$ed at this point. All self control went out the window as I flew to Wal-Mart and long story made short, I'm sitting at home now with a new Garmin Legend in my hand and an EXIT sign laying on the kitchen table.

You know, that sounds like what happens to me lots of times also, I feel for you for sure.

Welcome to Hobby/Sport of GeoCaching, The Legend is really easy to use, just takes a little reading and patients. Good Luck and most of all, HAVE FUN!

For starters I suggest reading the Beginners guide to Geocaching located here:

http://www.factsfacts.com/geocacher.htm

Find yourself a local event and attend it ... the Legend is a very easy to use and master GPSr, great for a beginner.

If there's not one soon nearby, the maybe seek out a local cacher who'd be willing to take you along on their next caching run.

In the meantime, the three things you most want to learn on your GPSr:

1. Mark - Learn how to set a waypoint (enter the Lat/Long from the GC page for the cache you want to search for.

2. Find - Learn how to tell the GPSr to look for the waypoint you just set.

3. Compass / Direction Arrow - Learn how to bring up the page that looks like a compass (usually comes up automatically after selecting a waypoint to find). This is the page you will use to seek out the cache.

There's a whole bunch of other features including the ability to download cache waypoints automatically from the computer, etc. but start with the simple three above until you get the hang of things.

Hint: Using the button on the side (think it's the right on the Legend) you can cycle through the various menus to find the one you need. The little joystick moves up and down and side to side on the page you're viewing and depressing the joystick selects the option you have highlighted.

Edited by Lasagna

On the bright side, the Legend is a better unit than the Camo. It is also one of the easier ones to use.

It came with a quick start guide that will give you the basics. You can figure out the advanced features later.

Basically you want to figure out how to page through the menus, emark a waypoint, edit a waypoint and go to a waypoint. The click stick acts like your computer's mouse and you use it to move around the screen.

Edited by briansnat

I have a legend as well, and I am a techno idiot. After a few hours of just playing with it I figured out how to mark a waypoint than adjust anything I wanted. Hold down the button above the screen, than move it around to acces menus or whatever. You'll get it soon enough.

I have a legend as well, and I am a techno idiot. After a few hours of just playing with it I figured out how to mark a waypoint than adjust anything I wanted. Hold down the button above the screen, than move it around to acces menus or whatever. You'll get it soon enough.

That is the key and it's not as obiouse as Garmin and Magellen think. I was uploading waypoints directly from the computer into the GPS before I ever figured out how to do one manually.

That is the key and it's not as obiouse as Garmin and Magellen think. I was uploading waypoints directly from the computer into the GPS before I ever figured out how to do one manually.

:) I am not saying if I can or can't do this, but i will say I have alot left to learn.....