Congratulations Threads

Just thought we'd clear up any misunderstandings that might have happened.

The reason we have asked not to have congrats threads for our milestones is that we don't want to annoy anyone. It has become clear over the past few days that the mere sight of a congrats post enrages a portion of the caching community. Although we find the reaction to congrats rather strange, we would rather not have a thread than be the catalyst for further irritation. :ph34r:

Ian and Bekie

Everybody was well up for the original vote, and when it did not go they way that some people wanted, then there have been endless tedious rants on this topic for ever after. I would be annoyed if the forum decided to operate an 'if you whinge long enought then we'll give it to you anyway' policy.

You dont need to read them

There is a nice greasemonkey script that you can run so you don't even have to look at them

Aren't we lucky that we have such a lively and active community in this forum.

Wouldn't it be strange if we all liked the same thing and agreed all the time?

Here's a modest suggestion, why don't we all go and post in the general areas of the forums and save the UK area for specifically UK based questions only? That way we would see far more topics than before, the congratulations would get diluted. Poor old Lacto would get more time for caching. Hey they may even create a general congrats area for the whole forum and then you would never need to go into it ever again if you didn't want to.

Is it just me that finds it rather sad that Bekandian have asked for no congratulations for themselves for fear of the rabid backlash? And yet in another forum topic, everybody is having a group hug because somebody was the target of mean comments.

Is it just me that finds it rather sad that Bekandian have asked for no congratulations for themselves for fear of the rabid backlash?
No, it's not just you. I also feel rather depressed that it was my well-meaning thread which kicked off yet another circular debate about congrats (slightly pre-emptive in my B&I one, but I hoped others would guess when they might hit the 1k too. We could have had a sweepstake) threads. I deeply regret my actions* and promise not to start any more congratulations threads*, and would also like to apologise to anyone I've upset by starting or adding to that, or any congratulations thread in the past*.

Btw, thanks perth pathfinders. Congratulations on your well-executed congratulations. :ph34r:

*This is a lie.

:wub: This subject will never have a conclusion,some people like them and some people don't,why has it got to keep coming up? It goes over the same thing time and time again,just don't read it if you see the word "CONGRATULATIONS" its simple!! :ph34r::wub:

A few points

[Official Hat]

There is nothing in the forum guidelines to prevent geocachers congratulating geocachers for finding any number of geocaches.

There is nothing in the forum guidelines to prevent geocachers complaining about congratulations threads (politely)

I have no intention of closing either type of thread

There is currently no mechanism for having a separate Congratualtions "sub-forum" (I know, I've asked)

There was never a clear consensus as to whether they were a good or bad thing although slightly more people who responded thought at the time they were a good thing.

It would make me happier if people concentrated on "Positive" aspects of geocaching rather than "Negatives"

I have no intention of closing either type of thread

[/Official Hat]

[Personal Hat]

I use the Greasemonkey "Hide" button wherever possible on certain types of thread :wub:

[/Personal Hat]

[Official Hat]

I have to read most posts in my role as forum moderator :ph34r:

[/Official Hat]

[Personal Hat]

Aaaarrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!

[/Personal Hat]

:wub: This subject will never have a conclusion,some people like them and some people don't,why has it got to keep coming up? It goes over the same thing time and time again,just don't read it if you see the word "CONGRATULATIONS" its simple!! :ph34r::wub:

We are on something here. By sticking to the convention of prefixing the subject with Congratulations then we can produce a script to mask out all congratulations threads for those who don;t want them, and a script to mask out all other posts for those who do. Okay, the idea might need a little tweaking but it might just work.

:wub: This subject will never have a conclusion,some people like them and some people don't,why has it got to keep coming up? It goes over the same thing time and time again,just don't read it if you see the word "CONGRATULATIONS" its simple!! :wub::wub:

We are on something here. By sticking to the convention of prefixing the subject with Congratulations then we can produce a script to mask out all congratulations threads for those who don;t want them, and a script to mask out all other posts for those who do. Okay, the idea might need a little tweaking but it might just work.

I don't think that the way forward is to tell people how to write their congratulations threads! Most - not all - but most are obvious. If you accidentally stray into one when it's not clear what the thread is about -is that really such a problem?

I'm with SP here in his previous post - most who don't object or even like congratulatory threads won't bother entering into this discussion - so it looks like there is a majority against them. I really can't see what the problem is in ignoring them if you don't like them. Maybe some people just like to have a rant... :ph34r:

Edited by Firth of Forth

I have to admit that I (at risk of losing life or limb) like to read the Congrats postings and replying when it is someone we know who has reached one.

I also have to admit to never even having looked at the pinned Congrats threads at the top of the page.

It would be a pretty sad forum a bit like Stepford Wives if we are not allowed to choose for ourselves what topics we read.

For some people a 100 finds is a real milestone, we have problems with elderly parents, Doggies with back problems and lots of other things that sometimes make caching difficult for us, and we can go weeks or longer without finding a single cache. So each milestone is something big to us, and we presume that other people feel the same way. 100, 200, 300 onwards in hundreds should be celebrated but not the odd numbers inbetween.

I only ever read topics that take my fancy or catch my eye, I never confess to reading every single one, there would not be enough hours in the day for that.

So please leave the Congratulations threads as they are.

Eeyore (Joan)

So If we all agreed to ...

Clearly state "CONGRATULATIONS"

Clearly state "CACHERS NAME"

Clearly state "MILESTONE NUMBERS"

when starting a thread ...

Then those who wish to ignore it can do so?

Those who wish to read the thread can do so?

Would that not be the best compromise?

That would be a good start.

That sounds fairly reasonable

Sounds good to me

Eeyore

Sounds good to me

Eeyore

YEP PP- Think you said it!

Oh BTW - Think it must be just about time for this too....

CONGRATS SP :ph34r:

Edited by Team Clova

Will it shut the whingers up? Okay, well I'll vote for that then!!

As has already been pointed out, G:UK has a separate Congratulation section. One solution to this disagreement is for the Originator of the congratulations thread to start one there, then post on here with a link to that particular thread. Locking this thread off so no one can reply on here. Result Congrats threads quickly disappear down the page. Those who do not want to read them or post to them will just ignore them. And instead of individual congrats being lost among all the others in the pinned area, each has its own thread.

Dave

Is it just me that finds it rather sad that Bekandian have asked for no congratulations for themselves for fear of the rabid backlash?

No, it's not just you. Once again the vocal minority in this forum is spoiling things for everyone. Why can't people just live and let live?

Better, instead of spending time whinging on the forum, go out and find a few caches. Much more healthy, and much less controversial :ph34r:

I mentioned it up ^^^ there somewhere. It's a good start, and if that "guideline" is followed, it makes it a lot easier to totally ignore. I'd prefer it not to be all caps though :ph34r:

And give mods the right to amend any non-conforming titles. And give mods right to immediatley close any which are not a "standard" agreed milestone and/or are ones warning of an impending milestone.

Better still if the OP closes the thread after say 48 hours, that would keep the first page of threads less clogged.

Given that we can't have sub forums, we all have to get along and use some form of common sense. If 50% of the 1st page of threads is not actually discussing real topics,then it is a waste of a forum IMHO. (This is what it was in a previous rant thread).

PS people mention about using some ignore button... where? I don't see one?

I mentioned it up ^^^ there somewhere. It's a good start, and if that "guideline" is followed, it makes it a lot easier to totally ignore. I'd prefer it not to be all caps though :ph34r:

And give mods the right to amend any non-conforming titles. And give mods right to immediatley close any which are not a "standard" agreed milestone and/or are ones warning of an impending milestone.

Better still if the OP closes the thread after say 48 hours, that would keep the first page of threads less clogged.

Given that we can't have sub forums, we all have to get along and use some form of common sense. If 50% of the 1st page of threads is not actually discussing real topics,then it is a waste of a forum IMHO. (This is what it was in a previous rant thread).

I really don't see that you can make unwritten rules about how people should post. I would imagine that if someone new to the forum didn't conform in the manner expected, then had to be told how it should be done, it would be rather off-putting. As Lacto has already said, he can't and won't (and shouldn't IMHO) interfere with congratulatory threads. And there is unlikely to be no consensus about what are "standard agreed" milestones is there?

Edited by Firth of Forth

If those that have read this post about "style" for congratulations, stick to the style on the forum, most people reading the forum will see there is a style, and will probably use that style for congratulations threads.

Just don't jump on the first person not to stick to the style! :ph34r:

G

I really don't see that you can make unwritten rules about how people should post. I would imagine that if someone new to the forum didn't conform in the manner expected, then had to be told how it should be done, it would be rather off-putting. As Lacto has already said, he can't and won't (and shouldn't IMHO) interfere with congratulatory threads. And there is unlikely to be no consensus about what are "standard agreed" milestones is there?

But this wouldn't stop non Premium Member Newbies who don't know what they're doing from starting a congratulations thread with the wrong heading. (Oops, getting my threads mixed up). :wub:

No I agree, I am not trying to make unwritten rules, just trying to come to some kind of compromise that will suit all of us.

Of course some congrats. threads will slip through, but If we can greatly reduce them for those who do not like them them then surely we are getting on the right track to sorting out this ongoing problem?

Edited by perth pathfinders

I think a "standard" format might help in identifying (and ignoring) them but they're still going to clutter up the forum - I know you techno-types use Firefox but the cotton pickin' thing mystifies me! ;)

I can understand congratulating someone you know, but there are folk who post congratulations on nearly every thread, and it's always the same:

B):wub::(:wub:WELL DONE ;):wub:;):(:ph34r:

- seems a bit meaningless to me.... :wub:

Not wishing to get involved in the debate (i have better things to do, like caching!!) my only comment is i'm with Alibags!

Gutted that two people who put so much into geocaching (some great caches set) and help other cachers as much as they can (even when there stupid like me and standing on the cache i've paf'd them for!!) feel that they do not want a congrats thread when they more than deserve it. 1000 is a fantastic achievement and deffo deserves a mention. Beck and Ian must have many friends through caching who would want to pass a comment or note at a great recognition.

I will send a pm to add my congrats when the time comes, and SP don't feel guilty for giving everyone the heads up.

Taz

TFB x

PS it’s a game :smile:
Shussssh! That's a secret!

I'd be happy to stick to an agreed format that makes congrats threads easier to locate and perhaps ignore automatically? But I didn't think that was the issue. I thought it was their very existence that was the problem - or more specifically ones that weren't 100, 200, 500, 1000, etc. Or even more specifically, my jumping the gun to congratulate B&I and speculate on when they'd hit the 1k - although I made the nature of the thread quite clear in its title and subtitle. :)

Most congratulations threads already include that information in the (sub)title, so there's no real change there.

However, can people starting threads about Geocoins, MemoryMap, events, and a whole host of other subjects I'm not interested in please ensure the threads are titled uniformly so I can ignore them :smile:

Let's all just lighten up, eh? This is supposed to be fun and interesting.

At the moment there are no congratulations threads on the first page.

Is this a measure of how the small minded, petty and intolerant MINORITY of people who are against them are using bullying tactics to stop them ?

Why is it that when someone airs a grievance on here they're portrayed as a minority group? I think you'll find there a large number of people who dislike congratulations threads (including our venerable moderator) - and I haven't noticed any bullying tactics, merely comments from people who are sick of seeing these pointless threads being repeated over and over again...

Why is it that when someone airs a grievance on here they're portrayed as a minority group? I think you'll find there a large number of people who dislike congratulations threads (including our venerable moderator) - and I haven't noticed any bullying tactics, merely comments from people who are sick of seeing these pointless threads being repeated over and over again...

Minority: the last time there was a vote on this, congrats threads were voted for.

Bullying: ask Bekandian

There's my one, which is locked. I can't see any others... and I don't have a fox on fire or a greasy monkey - although, heaven knows, I wish I did on some long, lonely nights...

P.S. I would argue congratulations threads are not pointless. They're great for bringing the geocaching community together - to argue about them :smile:

Edited by Simply Paul

Its clear after a vote that the majority of people are in favour of congratulations threads, I apologise to everyone for moaning about them, and I promise that I will never raise the issue again! :lol:

:unsure::o;):anicute:Congratulations to everyone who digs congrats threads! B):anicute::lol::unsure::o

They're boring.

They are also pretty meaningless. I noticed from the logs of one cacher who'd hit an apparently large number, that they'd been a passenger in the car with someone who was doing loads of maintenance checks on all their caches. To make up the numbers, all they had to do was follow the owner to each location, get the log book handed to them for them to sign. No search, no GPSr. This didn't seem worthy of congratulations to me.

However, much as I dislike congrats threads, I wouldn't want to ban them - that would be a restriction of freedom of speech.

(PS Congrats to Golem on 543 posts.)

Edited by qichina

Its clear after a vote that the majority of people are in favour of congratulations threads, I apologise to everyone for moaning about them, and I promise that I will never raise the issue again! :unsure:

But I did not get a chance to vote, nor did many who dislike them here. Go on, open it up again and let's have a fare vote.

I really don't think a vote is appropriate, we've been there and done that and T-shirts have been torn in the resultant melee.

And to be honest it looks like the opinion of the masses has swung towards the 'yeah, keep 'em coming' opinion. The last vote we had was within one or two.

As, I think, Tony pointed out, it's a moot point ANYWAY. Whereas I've already stated that I will not feel guilty for airing my views, I do now feel guilty that two very active cachers, and nice folk to boot, have become offended. I hope they will change their minds and allow us to congratulate them on their 1000th cache.

Its clear after a vote that the majority of people are in favour of congratulations threads, I apologise to everyone for moaning about them, and I promise that I will never raise the issue again! :unsure:

But I did not get a chance to vote, nor did many who dislike them here. Go on, open it up again and let's have a fare vote.

Assuming that the 'I want to ban congratulatory threads' group won the vote (which I don't think that they would) how would this be enforced? What if those who do like them, or just don't know, continue making such posts? Under Groundspeak rules, mods would be overstepping the mark to shut them down. Or 'polite' emails would be sent to those people telling them that they shouldn't have done so. I think that any such ban would inevitably cause more problems and more bad feeling.

While some people may be "sick of" congratulatory threads, imposing a ban on something which is essentially positive seems ludicrous to me.

Edited to add: I've just seen The Golem's now closed attempt at a vote. :o

Doesn't that settle things once and for all?? Or at least until the next time? :anicute:

Edited by Firth of Forth

I :o ALL cachers (just some more than others :unsure:), If your a luver or a hater, it makes no odds to me, everybody has an opinion and thats a good thing :o

015.gif

Oh congrats to me for passing 3,300 posts :anicute: :anicute: :unsure:

Edited by Deego

Just adding my 4p's worth *plink*

I don't own a car so when I reached 100 caches it was really quite an achievement for me. And when I saw the thread which congratulated me it really made my day. I'm not fussed about any other milestones, to me the first 100 was a milestone enough.

I'm sorry some people on here find them irritating and annoying, but then so are the Chuckle Brothers and people seem to be quite adept at ignoring them.

<hippy mode>

Relax and chiiiiil folks, its only a thread. :unsure:

</hippy mode>

So, to summarise - it's clear that a small minority of cachers would like to keep congratulations threads for their own nefarious purposes, while the overwhelming majority of sensible cachers would like to see them disappear. :laughing:

Eh? That's a complete misrepresentation of the result of your own vote.

This is why the subject keeps coming up - because those who disagree with congratulations threads don't like the fact that the overwhelming majority of forum readers do like such threads. Why don't you just admit defeat and either get Firefox or let the subject drop?