Congratulations Threads

(Before I kick off, I really don't mean to urinate on anyone's conflagration)

Most of you know my views on congratulation threads, for those who don't:

* I hate them

* Since the last bout of discussions on the matter, I've come to tolerate them for 100,200,500,x000

I made myself a promise some time ago never to air these views again, and just let folk get on with it and keep clicking the ignore button.

Now things have taken a disturbing turn for the worse, we now have a pre-congratultions thread in our midst. I've help my breath since I saw it, but I just can't let it pass without comment.

Am I alone in my thoughts or is everyone else very happy to see this sort of thing?

Just in case I'm in a minority of one, can I take this opertunity of congratulating The Hokesters on their magnificent total of 113, what a high and mighty number that is.

No your not alone........ and while we are on the subject where the heck are my congratulations.......We have slogged and toiled and literally worn ourselves to a frazzle but now we have really made it..we have found 15....yes 15...or is it 16.well anyway we are frazzled. Going to take a rest now.

Red Squadron..............John & Ann

Am I alone in my thoughts or is everyone else very happy to see this sort of thing?

No you're not alone. I'm not a huge fan of congrats threads, but I can live with seeing the ones for the major milestones.

So far we've only got one pre-congrats thread that I can see. Are you anticipating more, and if so, does your OP constitute a pre-rant?

I really don't see why it should.

As I've already stated, I now agree with congratulations threads for 1000 finds, and as I've met you both on a couple of occasions I've no doubt that when there is something to congratulate, I shall do.

What I'm NOT going to do is feel guilty for stating my point of view.

(Before I kick off, I really don't mean to urinate on anyone's conflagration)

Most of you know my views on congratulation threads, for those who don't:

* I hate them

* Since the last bout of discussions on the matter, I've come to tolerate them for 100,200,500,x000

I made myself a promise some time ago never to air these views again, and just let folk get on with it and keep clicking the ignore button.

Now things have taken a disturbing turn for the worse, we now have a pre-congratultions thread in our midst. I've help my breath since I saw it, but I just can't let it pass without comment.

Just in case I'm in a minority of one, can I take this opertunity of congratulating The Hokesters on their magnificent total of 113, what a high and mighty number that is.

Don't entirely agree but do find too many threads that are not 100, 200, 500, 1000 0r 2000.

Then you don't have to read em so I cant see the issue.

Also after all the negatives in here it is nice to have some positives.

I've gotta say it kinda makes me feel .. well pretty sh*t

Don't feel like that guys! :lol:

I have no problem with congrats threads at all.

If I don't know the cacher in question I simply skip over.

We have been here before though :( Until GC sort out the pinned congrats topic design and navigation, then these will continue.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Jon

:(:(

I have closed the thread in question. Everyone can relax now. Your world is not about to tumble down around your ears. The oceans will not rise up to smite you and civilisation will not crumble. There will be no riots, no boiling columns of fire, brimstone, or global Armageddon. Go about your business. Nothing to see here :(

P.S. I hit 700 the other day :(

Edited by Simply Paul

I'm with you on this one, people who know the cacher who reaches a milestone can send a pm, to anyone else its a big "so what?". No, you don't have to read them, but don't they clutter up the forum?

In the days when there were only a couple of hundred caches in the country, 100 was a big deal, now you can clock up a hundred in a couple of days if you realy want to.

In a recent thread there were several cachers with over five hundred caches within 25 miles so what's the problem with finding a hundred, you could do it after tea without too much of a problem.

Certainly not alone. I despise them now. N x 1000 milestone I can live with, but last time I replied on this topic, about 50% of the threads on the 1st page were congrats threads.

People keep telling me 'don't read them' - I DON'T!, but I still have to scan thru a page full of titles trying to find the 'real' threads hidden in amongst them. And to make matters worse, everyone keeps replying, thereby bumping them up.

If people insist on posting them to a shared forum, could they please do the decent thing and prefix them with a standard tag, and use the same title?

So here goes... congrats to eveyone whose cache count is greater than zero :(

I don't normally air my opinions on congrats threads either, as I too use firefox and just hit the ignore button. However, its then easy to forget about them, so when I check the forums at work (yeah I know, should be working :( ) where I HAVE to use IE, I have a page full of congrats threads...

I can see the point of them (this is a FUN forum after all - isn't it? :(:( ) and I can see why people like to have them individually rather than pinned - its nice to receive a 'personalised' congratulations, in public, for everyone to see what you've acheived.

Is it too much to ask for the 'personal' congrats threads to be kept to 100, 200, 500 and X000 ? Any others can go in the pinned topic... We're currently slowly approaching 300 caches, and I certainly don't expect a thread to that effect! Some caches seem to clock up 100 a week (no names, :(:lol: ) and I'm sure they don't expect a thread to themselves each time either!

Dave :(

How about a pinned topic for complaints about congratulations threads? I grow weary of reading that some people don't like them, and ask for a (the?) forum moderator to put their use to the vote again. It won't settle the argument, but if there was a 'no cache promotion and no congratulations' rule on this forum, at least anarchists like me would know we were risking exclusion from the group by posting them :(

How about a pinned topic for complaints about congratulations threads? I grow weary of reading that some people don't like them, and ask for a (the?) forum moderator to put their use to the vote again. It won't settle the argument, but if there was a 'no cache promotion and no congratulations' rule on this forum, at least anarchists like me would know we were risking exclusion from the group by posting them :(

Here here old chap

Jon

We quite enjoy reading of the achievements of others - puts our puny efforts in perspective.

Incidentally, all you've done here is to generate something like those email viruses - loads and aloads of twaddle which, in the big scheme of things, adds up to nothing!!! So..

CONGRATULATIONS

Edited by Birders

I went off congratulation threads when over half of the top of my list were congratulation thread.

What I suggested before is that all congratulations threads should be locked and all replies posted in the pinned thread at the top.

And I agreed then and still do!

Maybe the Mods should just lock them, like they do some other threads

These threads are commenting on geocaching matters (the numbers of caches found) and do not breach forum guidelines. I have no reason to lock them.

I try hard not to have to lock threads, and I think that most people would agree that from time to time I possibly err on the side of "leniency" and keep threads open which perhaps ought to be closed.

Anyway this thread is a legitimate discussion on the rights and wrongs of having any "Congratulations" threads so let's keep the comments coming :ph34r:

Don't feel like that guys! :wub:

I have no problem with congrats threads at all.

If I don't know the cacher in question I simply skip over.

We have been here before though :wub: Until GC sort out the pinned congrats topic design and navigation, then these will continue.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Jon

:ph34r::wub:

We allready have an answer to this

We quite enjoy reading of the achievements of others - puts our puny efforts in perspective.

Here you go then enjoy

Lets all move over to GUK leaving one pinned topic at the top of this page saying

New here read this first and provide a link to GUK

Anyone who posts here the first reply should be copying topic to GUK

I'm in the train of thought that thinks you do not have to read every single thread on the forum, if I didn't like a certain part of the forum, or a certain type of thread then I just ignore that part completely.

No!! Lets stir up the old debate AGAIN!! We have not had our handbags out over this once for a couple of weeks now. EVERY topic on the forums must be EXACTLY to my own taste and liking or else I will just have to start a complaints thread...

<packs her handbag with half bricks with the word 'congratulations' crayoned onto them...>

I think an entirely separate congratulations forum would suit the bill nicely. We could arrange for it to monitor cachers scores and start the threads automatically, it could even do the replies as well and interested parties could just log in and watch.

No!! Lets stir up the old debate AGAIN!! We have not had our handbags out over this once for a couple of weeks now.
So a pinned topic for complaints about congratulations threads then.

Joking apart, I accept that there is a lot of winging about silly little things that most are not interested in, and I am as guilty as everyone else when it comes to this. The point that can not be ignored is that there is a significant number of people who do not want congratulations threads and this in my mind makes it worth of discussion and we should possibly take it to a wider internal audience and potentially get the rules changed.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to see loads of congratulations to people whom you do not know. As a matter of fact, I do my best to congratulate everyone who has a thread.

I also get childish pleasure out of being congratulated when I reach a target :ph34r::wub: .

However, I do not think we would lose much if they were abandoned, or limited in some way. The pinned thread is just too unwieldy to search, unfortunately.

I think an entirely separate congratulations forum would suit the bill nicely. We could arrange for it to monitor cachers scores and start the threads automatically, it could even do the replies as well and interested parties could just log in and watch.

ROTFLMAO :ph34r::wub:

The point that can not be ignored is that there is a significant number of people who do not want congratulations threads and this in my mind makes it worth of discussion and we should possibly take it to a wider internal audience and potentially get the rules changed.

Then the week after we can all moan about the new rules and get them changed back...... then the week after..........................................................

There will always be somebody unhappy about this subject. Me? I am not bothered either way I post more in the congrats threads then starting new threads unless its somebody I know well or a biggy.

I have more important things to get wound up over.

Edited by Deego
Then the week after we can all moan about the new rules and get them changed back...... then the week after..........................................................
the only way that should happen is if a lot of people who are very much for congratulations threads did not enter the debate initially and then made and raised the discussion. Personally I do not believe that is the case. My view is that most people either do not care or just can not be bothered with the discussion, quite a few do not like the congratulations threads and slightly fewer really do want to keep them.

To change the rules I believe that the number in favour of the change needs to be significantly greater than those against to stop this flip flopping, and I just don't know if this is the case or not.

Previous debates and two (IIRC) votes have been just too close to call. This is why I never intended this to be yet another congrats thread rant, unfortunatly it's turned into one. It seems de rigeur when the thread parts from the OPs 'agenda' for him/her to close it but I'm not going to restrict people like that.

As I stated at the beginning I support congrats threads for what it has been agreed in the past are major milestones. What's more, I too like to see a congrats thread for myself at such milestones.

As I have stated, I'm not going to feel guilty for airing my views. I AM however very sorry that Beck and Ian's major milestone will not be celebrated in this forum at their request.

As I stated at the beginning I support congrats threads for what it has been agreed in the past are major milestones. What's more, I too like to see a congrats thread for myself at such milestones.
When was this agreed, and by whom?

When the congrats threads on this forum 'issue' was put to a vote on this forum, there was clear support for them. Just because few people are willing to stand up for their use, it shouldn't be assumed that such people don't exist. I believe there's a vocal minority who would like to see them banned, or moved somewhere else, or locked, or othewise 'controlled' because they don't like seeing them. There are a lot of threads of little or no interest to me, and I don't feel it's my place to demand they're moved, closed, banned or 'properly labelled'. I accept they're of interest to some/many and ignore them, as they're 'not for me'. Here's a little test. What's the average number of views and replies to congrats threads against the forum averages? That's a good guide to their actual rather than perceived popularity.