Multi Vs. Puzzle

It has recently come to my attention (thanks to these forums) that I may have listed one of my caches incorrectly.

It is my understanding (now) that puzzle caches have one thing in common....the posted coordinates are NOT where the cache is.

Anyways, my cache (GCQD69) does not meet that criteria. The posted coordinates do lead to the first stage. Here they find an ammo can containing a bunch of items that are necessary to retrieve (note that I said "retrieve" not "find") the coordinates for the next stage. For example, one stage requires they use the funnel, hose, and cup to retrieve water from a pond and fill up a pipe to make the coordinates float to the top).

Anyways, should this be listed a multi since the posted coordinates actually lead to the first stage? I listed it as a puzzle since there are "puzzles" to retrieve each set of coordinates.

Obviously it would get more visitors if I switched it to a multi, but it's been active for 8 months. I also see I cannot switch the type via "edit cache" but I assume if it's listed incorrectly that the reviewer could change it. Plus if I make another sequel to it, I'd want to list it correctly.

It has recently come to my attention (thanks to these forums) that I may have listed one of my caches incorrectly.

It is my understanding (now) that puzzle caches have one thing in common....the posted coordinates are NOT where the cache is.

Anyways, my cache (GCQD69) does not meet that criteria. The posted coordinates do lead to the first stage. Here they find an ammo can containing a bunch of items that are necessary to retrieve (note that I said "retrieve" not "find") the coordinates for the next stage. For example, one stage requires they use the funnel, hose, and cup to retrieve water from a pond and fill up a pipe to make the coordinates float to the top).

Anyways, should this be listed a multi since the posted coordinates actually lead to the first stage? I listed it as a puzzle since there are "puzzles" to retrieve each set of coordinates.

Obviously it would get more visitors if I switched it to a multi, but it's been active for 8 months. I also see I cannot switch the type via "edit cache" but I assume if it's listed incorrectly that the reviewer could change it. Plus if I make another sequel to it, I'd want to list it correctly.

Hmmm... without even checking the link, I'm thinking you're talking about "Outdoor Plumbling". (A highly recommended cache for anyone in the area). Anyhow, I think a case could be made to list it either way.

While the initial coordinates are truly the first stage and thus more in line with a multi, the rest of the stages of the cache certainly require more than the traditional "find the cache coordinates" search effort typical of a multi.

If I were going to list it, I would have probably chosen "multi" only because no advance work is required to determine the coordinates for the cache before you head into the field. When running in the field without the writeups, I will sometimes stop to do a "multi" if I have the time, but will usually bypass a "puzzle" since to me that usually means "advance prep" needing to have been done. So listing as a multi may get you more visitors.

In most cases, but not always. Its also a "catch all" category for caches that don't fit neatly into the traditional or multi cagegory.

I agree with Lasagna that a case probably could be made for either designation, but in reading your page I'd lean towards multi.

Thanks guys. There is no prep work required to find this cache, so that's why I'm now leaning towards multi...

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to have it switched, and if so, can the reviewer do that?

2) If I switch it, will it affect other people's stats, and if so, will anyone be upset if their stats now reflect one additional multi and one less puzzle? And do I care?

Thanks guys. There is no prep work required to find this cache, so that's why I'm now leaning towards multi...

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to have it switched, and if so, can the reviewer do that?

Yes and only reviewers can. It's not possible for the owner to change it.

2) If I switch it, will it affect other people's stats, and if so, will anyone be upset if their stats now reflect one additional multi and one less puzzle?

It will and some will probably be upset but then it's your cache so you can do what you like with it. If they get really annoyed you could always delete their log completely :(

It'll only really effect people that have only found one Puzzle (that being yours) as they will lose the icon from their list.

And do I care?

:(

I had a similar argument with the reviewers. I have a cache which is an ammo can protected by a combination padlock. The co-ords are those of the cache but you then have to go find each digit of the combination, multi or puzzle. I set it as multi because there's no questions to answer or cryptic clues to decode, just four other locations to visit. Reveiwers claimed it was a puzzle but I "forgot" to change it.