Pocke Query Question - Gsak Related

I am trying to ensure that my GSAK only shows active caches. Here is what I have done:

I have set all my cache requests to include only active caches. This means that, when a cache becomes active (either because it is new or because it has come out of temporary disablement) it should be downloaded.

I also have a PQ for updates in the last seven days, which I have asked to include all caches. This should tell me when an active cache becomes inactive. I can then delete it from my GSAK database, confident that, when it returns to active, I will be able to download it again.

Is my theory correct?

I don't think it will work as PQs don't pick up Archived caches. So, if a cache changes from active to archived it will stay in your list but won't be updated.

I do it in a slightly different way that only requires one PQ but also a little extra work from you.

Use the active PQ as you currently do. When you download it into GSAK filter for caches updated on or before yesterday's date. This will show any caches that were not updated on your PQ from today and these will have been archived. You can double-check these online (if you wish) and delete them from your database.

I like to keep these too so I download the GPX file direct from the cache page which changes the status in GSAK and shows the most recent log explaining why it was archived.

HTH

:(

Couple of ways to do this.

The way i use is to go through this sequence after eache set of PQs has been imported into GSAK.

Filter by excluding all archived caches.

Make sure you have the last GPX update column available.

Cilck on the top of this column so that the caches appear in the order they were last updated.

At the top you will usually see 3 - 5 caches with an old date (over seven days in our case.)

Press F2 to provide the split screen view.

On the top bar use the drop down box for viewing type and select online view.

The online cache page should appear (you need to log in at this point)

You will see immediately if its an archived cache.

Click on download the GPX.

Save this file to a suitable drive.

Collect the rest

Import them and you will have updated GSAK.

This always gives you the last 20 logs for the cache if you feel the need to check up on potential geo litter.

Thanks for all the advice.

The only reason that I want to exclude archived and temporarily unavailable is so that, when I download caches to my Palm, I don't end up with unavailable caches on it.

The best thing for me will be to download all caches, archived or not, and then create a filter that excludes them all which I will use to prepare cache lists for downloading to my Palm.

Edited by walkergeoff

Mine is similar to maryandlynn method, only I think a bit more automated… We both have the entire Uk database, which takes one week to get. Therefore, I’m looking for records in GSAK that haven’t updated in more than a week. These are the archived ones….

All the following steps are done in one large macro, which runs on startup…

Having GETMAILed the days PQs, I then apply a filter looking for caches that have not been updated for over 7 days. (using the Last GPX update box in a filter)

This should return a few (unless Lacto is having one of his ‘sessions’ :( …!) caches that have been archived.

The GC.com cache page is automatically loaded in firefox/IE, for me to click download GPX file. I do this (the only intervention required on my part) and click continue in GSAK until it has loaded each cache page for me to download.

After the last potentially archived cache, it then does a load GPX routine, to bring all these new downloaded GPX files into GSAK.

Finally, it filters for achived caches in GSAK (hopefully all the ones I just downloaded) and does a move/copy into a separate database.

Job done!

If you’re prepared to take the risk, and don’t want to keep archived caches or their logs, then you COLD just delete the results of the first ‘not updated’ query. The risk here is that if you’re PQs go a bit skew whiff at any point, then you have just deleted a lot of active caches! :(

If anyone wants a copy of this macro, just shout on here and I'll post it in another message. Will have to wait until this evening though!

HTH

Dave

I just run a very simple filter to find archived caches.

The filter is....

On the 'General' Tab.... 'Available Status' have only one check next to 'Available'

On the 'Dates' Tab..... 'Last update GPX' 'Not during' the last '7' 'days'.

This finds all the caches not in the recent PQ's. I then use the split screen format set to online page, see its archived and then right click on the cache and use the cache status option to change to archived.

Done on a daily basis shows 3 or 4 caches.

Dave