60csx Storing Tracklog To Card

When you store the track log to the memory card, what is stored?

Is it like the active log with Speed, Time, or is it the position like the saved track on the GPS?

It's the same data as the Active Log, but note that that does not include speed information. It has the lat., long., altitude, date, and time (UTM). Some software programs then calculate additional parameters like speed and bearing from this data but they're not recorded directly.

I loaded the .gpx file into Mapsource and the track displays speed info (track properties). Perhaps Mapsource computes it from the raw data.

The gpx trackpoints look like this (on the venture cx, anyway):

<trkpt lat="40.11111" lon="-111.99999">

<ele>1308.484741</ele>

<time>2006-05-12T19:45:41Z</time>

</trkpt>

So any speed and heading data you may see is calculated.

Yes, it is the same on the 60Cx. This is from one of my files.

<trkpt lat="51.074536" lon="-114.162223">

<ele>1078.307</ele>

<time>2006-05-16T13:03:35Z</time>

</trkpt>

Its funny that they set up the venture to store one less decimal place for lat and lon, but many more decimal places for ele.

Something I just noticed with the 2.71 firmware (60CSx): If you are logging trackpoints at the 1 second rate, then every 5 minutes or so the unit skips 5 trackpoints (both in the active track and the gpx file). Turning off the card storage doesn't stop this; the active track still skips about 5 trackpoints. I first thought this was a "card storage" phenomenon, but looking back at some earlier tracks I can see it as far back as Apr 26 (I think I was using 2.60 at the time). It may be related to the "retrograde time" problem.