Multi And Puzzle Final Locations

There is a cache series, near my area, with the final cache position (listed as a Multi) posted with 'fake' coordinates. (More like a Mystery.) In order to locate this final cache in the series you need to visit all of the other caches to get the needed information to calculate the final coordinates which are not those posted. This is clearly indicated on the cache page.

The 'fake' coordinates are at a location that would be an excellent location for a Traditional cache. I would like to place a cache close by (probably within 10 metres). Will the new Traditional be approved or does the 'fake' coordinates take precedence for this location?

Well first off it sounds like that other cache is improperly listed. If there is nothing at the posted coordinates, it is a mystery/puzzle cache.

And to answer your main question, I don't believe that fake coordinates are used when determining if the cache conforms to the cache density guidelines.

The existing cache you are referring to should be a ? cache if the only pre-requisite is finding a bunch of other caches. If that cache's posted coords are bogus (ie for parking, general reference, etc.) then your cache would not be affected by the coords on the page, however if the actual cache is nearby, you will need to be aware of that location and keep your cache at least 528' away from it. If the posted coords for the existing cache are for a container, a sign to get info from, etc., then the cache would be properly listed and you will need to have yours be at least 528' away.

When you submit your new cache, make sure to post a note to the reviewer (reviewer notes automatically get deleted when the cache is listed) that the other cache posted coords are not actual coords, and your reviewer can check into the cache being improperly labeled.

The existing cache you are referring to should be a ? cache if the only pre-requisite is finding a bunch of other caches. If that cache's posted coords are bogus (ie for parking, general reference, etc.) then your cache would not be affected by the coords on the page, however if the actual cache is nearby, you will need to be aware of that location and keep your cache at least 528' away from it. If the posted coords for the existing cache are for a container, a sign to get info from, etc., then the cache would be properly listed and you will need to have yours be at least 528' away.

When you submit your new cache, make sure to post a note to the reviewer (reviewer notes automatically get deleted when the cache is listed) that the other cache posted coords are not actual coords, and your reviewer can check into the cache being improperly labeled.

I too thought that it should be a ? cache, but it has been in place since 2003. I gather that it would not be practical to change the cache type as there have been 66 cachers log it as found since that time.

Is it ok to contact the volunteer reviewer in my area and ask for their opinion before placing the cache?

Thanks for you help.

Something I'd like to point out, though. If the other cache is listed as a multi and you place a traditional at or near the listed coordinates it will very likely cause confusion if you don't properly and clearly mark your cache. An bright colored note taped to the top inside of the cache lid explaining the situation might be good. There's nothing wrong with happy discoveries, but if your cache is found and logged under the other cache's page, that might be a problem.

Take care of this issue and it will be fine.

Something I'd like to point out, though. If the other cache is listed as a multi and you place a traditional at or near the listed coordinates it will very likely cause confusion if you don't properly and clearly mark your cache. An bright colored note taped to the top inside of the cache lid explaining the situation might be good. There's nothing wrong with happy discoveries, but if your cache is found and logged under the other cache's page, that might be a problem.

I don't think this is an issue here, because the other cache has no container at the posted coordinates.

I don't think this is an issue here, because the other cache has no container at the posted coordinates.

I think the reasoning was to prevent the cacher who is just running with a GPSr loaded with waypoints and no writeup from accidentally finding this container and thinking it was the container for the puzzle cache when they later logged it online. I know there have been one or two caches in my area where we've arrived on an extended caching run and without checking the writeups start looking for a cache and then after not finding it finally check the PDA and see that it's a mystery cache. Oops.

Aha! But... there are always people who NEVER read cache listing pages (and what amazes me is that they often brag about this behavior!), and rather, who simply rush out the door to travel to the posted coordinates, hoping to find a cache container there, even if the cache is a Difficulty 5 Multi or ? cache. So yes, it is likely that some lunatics who are hunting the other cache may stumble upon the container and try to claim it as find for the other cache!

And, I concur with the above posters; it is my understanding and experience that the fake posted coordinates for a ? cache (or for an incorrectly categorized multi-cache which is really a ? cache) are NOT used in determining the recommended 528 foot clearance. So, you should be clear to sail there...

Aha! But... there are always people who NEVER read cache listing pages (and what amazes me is that they often brag about this behavior!), and rather, who simply rush out the door to travel to the posted coordinates, hoping to find a cache container there, even if the cache is a Difficulty 5 Multi or ? cache. So yes, it is likely that some lunatics who are hunting the other cache may stumble upon the container and try to claim it as find for the other cache!

Yeah, thats an issue I didn't think of.