What Do Northwesterners Use For Protection In The Wild?

howlingwind

My husband and I have been discussing getting a small pistol to carry with us when we go out geocaching.

All of us who live here in the Northwest know that we have cougars up in the hills and mountains. And once even while Sunsetbay4me and I were climbing down and around the rocks of Crooked River Gorge, we heard a rattlesnake starting to get all excited near us. We never saw it, but I know that sound.

Do others take pistols? Or what do you take with you?

My husband carrys a buck knife on his belt..I told him I would probably feel better if I had a can of pepper spray or mace on ME! :(

Does this concern other cachers? What are your thoughts, or maybe you could give us different ideas!

Howlingwind and Sunsetbay4me

Edited by howlingwind

I know this is a real hot button topic, but let me put in my opinion:

1) The most dangerous part of your trip is the drive to the trailhead.

2) Most wildlife (including mountain lions and rattle snakes) are more scared of you than you are of them and will avoid you at all costs.

3) Carrying a gun greatly increases the likelihood that you will get injured by a gun.

I think that a stick will do if you get menaced by a defensive animal. If they really want to get you, a gun probably will not deter them and the likelihood of an animal attacking you unprovoked is statistically as likely as getting hit by a falling object from the sky.

I don't carry anything - sprays, bells, certainly not guns - and don't worry much about it. I'm with CFM, the risk is low and the animals are more scared of you, believe it or not, than you of them.

It is preferable to go with someone else - safety in numbers, more intimidating - although I sometimes hike alone (and yes, I'm female). I know several cachers who go alone for days in backcountry, even on dangerous climbs (which I think are more risky than the animals).

The time to be most watchful is dusk and dawn, when the animals are more active, particularly nocturnal ones such as cats. If you encounter a bear or cat, making yourself look big, making threatening noises, and maybe throwing a couple rocks is usually enough.

OK, that's my limited 2 cents. There are others here who can provide much more educated advice. :(

along the same lines

Rattler will usually warn you, back away.

Mountain Lions, almost always will be more warry of you and you will never see them.

If for some REALLY strange reason it did decide to attack you it is an ambush predator so unless you were walking with the gun in your hand :( there wouldn't be time to use it so most likely its just a waste.

If a bear is really going to attack you I doubt most guns could really drop it before you were done for.

I don't go hiking with any protection as you could probibly tell. If something decided to get me my defense, other then a stick, is going to be in my hiking pack which doesn't do any good in the second or two I would have to react.

My 2 cents

I've spent most of my life in the the Pacific Northwest and a good amount of my leisure time in the 'woods.' I've never carried a weapon of any kind for self defense, and have never been in a situation where I wished that I had one for protection.

It's my opinion that the best weapon you have is your mind. Fill it well with useful information about the outdoors and leave the pistol at home. Everybody -- yourself, your companians, other people, and the wildlife -- will be much safer without it.

Arm yourself with a camera. I've seen enough rattlesnakes, but I'd love to be lucky enough to see an elusive cougar. If I ever do, I hope I've got my camera.

Edited by FluteFace

along the same lines

Not to put a damper on this idea or anything, but after living with rattlesnakes for 6 years and coming into close personal contact with up to 50 of 'em, I'd say maybe 90% of them never rattled until they were actively being killed. Made me question this rule of thumb quite a bit.

On the other hand, I have come soooo close to so many, almost touching them, walking a few inches from them, etc...and have never even seen them come close to striking. They seem to try and fade into the background, don't want to be noticed. They just watch, and let you go by. I have a feeling that unless they rattle and know that you have been warned, they pretty much leave you alone.

Reminds me of years ago when I got in to trouble with a scoutmaster. He insisted that you should always step over rocks and logs rather up on them which takes more energy. I refused to step where I can't see and our relationship went downhill from there. Guns are a worthless for snakes it that if you are safe enough to shoot you are safe and can find another way around. A hiking staff to poke before you step or reach is the logical tool.

As far as cats and bears in Washington State, I carry a Canon......camera in hopes that statistics are off and I will get a chance to photograph more than the hind end of it going over the hill. Other satates, well I think those discussions have been beat forever and will be some more.

Arm yourself with a camera. I've seen enough rattlesnakes, but I'd love to be lucky enough to see an elusive cougar. If I ever do, I hope I've got my camera.

I've almost stepped on several rattlers, including some that weren't rattling, but never was in any real danger. Soon as I stopped, they quickly slithered off. California seemed to be rife with them when I lived there.

But let's be clear - there are no rattlers on the Wet Side (west of the Cascades in WA and OR). Bad snakes are only a problem for the Dry Siders. :) We have the 'cute,' harmless garters and racers and gopher snakes.

And speaking of the elusive cats - I just had my first real encounter with a bobcat! Very exciting. I was driving west of Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula, rounded a corner and there was a full-grown bobcat, just standing in the middle of the road at 3:00 in the afternoon! They are nocturnal and shy, and the only other time I'd glimpsed one was at dusk in the woods in California. Here this one was, just standing there casually in the bright sunshine! Alas, no time to pull out the camera. Got the car stopped, and he just looked at me and then ambled off into the bushes. I was so stunned that I had to pull out a wildlife book at my next stop to verify that, yes, that really was a bobcat, bobbed tail and all. :)

As for bears...seen a few, mostly from safe distance, but seen more signs of them - scat, clawed trees, etc. - than the actual critters.

Being a wet sider, I have no experience with rattlers. Cougars and bears are generally not going to be concerned with you. Cougars are cats and are curious about you. I woke up one morning after spending the night on a sand bar on the Hoh many years ago and saw cougar tracks around our camp. That is the only time I have ever encountered a big cat. Most of the year bears will hear you first and head the other direction fast. The only time you really have to fear bears in Washington is when you get between mama and her cubs. The other real danger in the woods in during elk rutting season (fall). During the rut bull elk think that anything not a cow elk is another bull and will try to fight to gain status. No pistol is going to help there. The best bet is to get as far off the ground as you can. That being said, it doesn't happen very often.

There was a recent case where a hunter was killed by a bear, but remember he was out trying to find bear. You won't be.

The best protection is to make noise. The wildlife will hear you and stay away. Of course, you won't see any that way either. Predators are looking for food. You don't look like their normal food so they tend to shy away from you. Unless a predator is very hungry they will normally only eat what they are accustomed to eating.

There was a recent case where a hunter was killed by a bear, but remember he was out trying to find bear. You won't be.

...but not the most recent:

Bear runs down and mauls bicyclist in Canadian park

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BANFF, Alberta -- An undersized black bear chased, caught and mauled a bicycle rider on a mountain trail in Canada's oldest and most popular national park, refused to leave the area and was shot and killed, a warden said.

The biker, Greg Flaaten, 41, a Web administrator for the town of Banff, was being treated for severe arm injuries at Foothills Hospital in Calgary following the attack, and reconstructive surgery in the biceps and triceps area was scheduled Monday.

Authorities initially feared Flaaten might lose his arm, but that concern was eased when a key artery was found to be intact, maintaining circulation to the lower part of the arm, said Ian Syme, chief warden for Banff National Park.

A predatory bear evidently ran down and attacked Flaaten on Friday evening along the heavily wooded Hoodoos-Bow River Trail through the park east of the town, he said.

"We heard he had been chased on the bicycle for a while," Syme said. "We're not sure how far that was. Certainly at the time when you are chased like that, things can seem to be a lot longer than they might be, but apparently he was chased."

Flaaten was found around 8 p.m. after two acquaintances, Robert Earl and Robin Borstmayer, saw his bike and a broken helmet near the trail, then heard him calling for help. They spotted Flaaten nearby, along with dragging marks and signs of a struggle.

Confronted by the bear as it continued pacing between them and Flaaten, they pedaled to a nearby campground and called a warden, who rushed to the scene along with a Royal Canadian Mounted officer. The bear, still pacing near Flaaten, was shot dead by the warden.

Syme said predatory attacks by bears are rare, adding that 95 percent of the time the bear runs away and that attacks which do occur are almost always in self-defense or a sow defending her cubs.

He estimated the bear that was shot was about 140 pounds, much lighter than a normal, healthy bear.

Wow, that's scary, Criminal! But I would still hike in Banff if I were there.

I'm a she-cacher and I cache/hike alone sometimes. I normally carry bear spray, but honestly, the only time I've even thought about using it was when creepy people made me feel uneasy.

The most menacing creature I've ever confronted was a mountain goat and I was able to protect myself with my trekking pole. I didn't have time to even think about the spray in the pack. Here's the log... Mt. Ellinor Cache

I'm a she-cacher and I cache/hike alone sometimes. I normally carry bear spray, but honestly, the only time I've even thought about using it was when creepy people made me feel uneasy.

The most menacing creature I've ever confronted was a mountain goat and I was able to protect myself with my trekking pole. I didn't have time to even think about the spray in the pack. Here's the log... Mt. Ellinor Cache

Og, I know all those things about you, in fact, I remember the big can of bear spray on your pack the first time I met you. :)

Attacks like this are flukes if you consider the number of hikers/bikers/hunters/etc in the woods.

Og, I know all those things about you, in fact, I remember the big can of bear spray on your pack the first time I met you. :)

Attacks like this are flukes if you consider the number of hikers/bikers/hunters/etc in the woods.

Yeah, when we were in Australia, we were talking about those sorts of things. We'd have people look at us wide-eyed and ask how we could go hiking with all the bears and stuff. Like people were just picked off one by one in the woods. :) We get that same idea about crocs over there, I guess. Like others have said, it's much much more dangerous to drive a car.

Ex-forest ranger here, Mt. Rainier Nat'l. Park.

When you see a bear, do not attempt to frighten it away with gestures or yelling. Speak in a normal tone as you approach. 99 times out of 100, the bear will amble slowly away from you and allow you to pass by. If you are charged by a rogue bear, do not run. Lie down and play dead, even if it paws you.

If you are approached by a cougar, make yourself appear as large as possible. Raise your arms over your head, fan out the sides of your jacket. Maintain eye contact and do not run.

I have personally had both bear and cougar encounters and these techniques have worked for me.

But let's be clear - there are no rattlers on the Wet Side (west of the Cascades in WA and OR). Bad snakes are only a problem for the Dry Siders. :) We have the 'cute,' harmless garters and racers and gopher snakes.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~titus/herp/oreganus.html

They may not exist in western WA, but Oregon is a different situation.

*gasp* Say it ain't so! looks like they've made inroads from the south, but ya still gots more on the East side. I guess Oregon is just enough further south to support both rattlers and poison oak, another hazard we thankfully avoid. Thanks for the info!

Edited by hydnsek

He estimated the bear that was shot was about 140 pounds, much lighter than a normal, healthy bear.

Which shows me that the bear was very hungry and willing to take on anything that might be food rather than their normal food. Healthy predators won't do that because the potential food might fight back or be poisonous. Desparate predators are the most dangerous and as others have said are very rare.

None of this applies to bears that have become accustomed to people. People feeding bears causes bears to lose their fear of the unknown creature and they then associate people with food. That gets dangerous. Bears near garbage dumps are dangerous bears.

HoppingCrow makes a good point. My point about noise was the normal noise that people make hiking along the trail will let them know you are around. The clomp of your boots, the rattle of the fishing poles in thier case, conversation and other such things.

When I worked in the woods the thought of cats, bear, or snakes never bugged me too much. They usually left the area before I got there (I usually made a lot of noise). It was the black widow spiders that had me the most nervous, they seemed to like the dark hidey holes that my hands sometimes had to go into.

*gasp* Say it ain't so! looks like they've made inroads from the south, but ya still gots more on the East side. I guess Oregon is just enough further south to support both rattlers and poison oak, another hazard we thankfully avoid. Thanks for the info!

Ya, the biggest and first rattler I ever saw was in western Oregon, I was only 5 or 6 at the time so that may skew my perspective on size. I saw many more when I worked on the Crooked River Grasslands in centeral oregon. Always exciting walking along willow creek.

Your starting to make western Washington sound apealing, no rattlers or oak.

I carry a pocket knife most of the time, but never use it for anything but cutting cord.

My most usefull tool is my trekking poles. In a pinch they could be used to wack the attacking grizzly or mountain lion, but I'm sure they wouldn't even be stunned. They are great to for poking around in high grass checking for snakes and such. I use them for balancing on steep terrain and wet trails.

poison oak, another hazard we thankfully avoid.

NOT!!! I got a gnarley case of it two summers ago looking for Oscar's Place at Brown's Point in Fed Wy. Horrible, horrible stuff. :) Working on Seth!'s Mission Impossible cache was the only thing that distracted me. I've seen warning signs for it at parks around the area - Lincoln Park in West Seattle and Seward Park are the first ones that come to mind, but there are more.

poison oak, another hazard we thankfully avoid.

NOT!!! I got a gnarley case of it two summers ago looking for Oscar's Place at Brown's Point in Fed Wy. Horrible, horrible stuff. :) Working on Seth!'s Mission Impossible cache was the only thing that distracted me. I've seen warning signs for it at parks around the area - Lincoln Park in West Seattle and Seward Park are the first ones that come to mind, but there are more.

Actually, I find the signs in Seward amusing - there's so little of it up here that folks don't know what it is, and they have to post signs identifying the few plants. Hilarious! In California, it's like blackberries are here; you get entire hillsides and thickets of it as far as you can see, and every person knows all too well the dreaded PO in all its lovely forms - anklebiter, bush, and vine. In some areas, every shrubby thing you see is poison oak. And the rhyme: "Leaves of three, let it be. But if it's hairy, it's a berry!"

I've hiked and camped up here for three years and have yet to see a single poison oak plant, except for the measly specimens in Seward. You seem to have stumbled upon a NW rarity!

No poisonous oaks or snakes on the Wet Side - almost makes up for the rain and blackberries. Almost.

Edited by hydnsek

Absolutely true. The most dangerous thing that we as cachers do is spend a lot of time driving around in our cars. You are MUCH more likely to get into a car accident than you are to get attacked by a rattler or a cougar.

You want to be safe?

Drive carefully and wear your seatbelt.

Absolutely true. The most dangerous thing that we as cachers do is spend a lot of time driving around in our cars. You are MUCH more likely to get into a car accident than you are to get attacked by a rattler or a cougar.

You want to be safe?

Drive carefully and wear your seatbelt.

Especially the way we drive - all those sudden stops and U-turns. :)

Ex-forest ranger here, Mt. Rainier Nat'l. Park.

When you see a bear, do not attempt to frighten it away with gestures or yelling. Speak in a normal tone as you approach. 99 times out of 100, the bear will amble slowly away from you and allow you to pass by. If you are charged by a rogue bear, do not run. Lie down and play dead, even if it paws you.

If you are approached by a cougar, make yourself appear as large as possible. Raise your arms over your head, fan out the sides of your jacket. Maintain eye contact and do not run.

I have personally had both bear and cougar encounters and these techniques have worked for me.

That is cuz there ain't no meat on your bones. The bear or cougar figured it wasn't worth the trouble. Now I suspect if they saw me on the trail they'd be thinking they could live off me for months and certainly couldn't out run them.

I also figure the bear thinks of "bear spray" the way we think of "dry rub", just another seasoning.

One of our friends who geocaches, told us he was in the midst of just reaching sort of down this cliff/embankment, and he scared a flock of quail that flew right up!! :)

He said he said a few "choice" words, and almost ended up going over the embankment!! :blink:

We had a good laugh on that one...just glad it wasn't ME!! :ph34r:

It is GOOD though to know that we all have some of the same concerns..about snakes and etc.

Lazerman said he was his biggest rattler over on this DRY side of Oregon..we are known for having the "''''biggies"" over here...ewwwww!

Howlingwind

along the same lines

Not to put a damper on this idea or anything, but after living with rattlesnakes for 6 years and coming into close personal contact with up to 50 of 'em, I'd say maybe 90% of them never rattled until they were actively being killed. Made me question this rule of thumb quite a bit.

On the other hand, I have come soooo close to so many, almost touching them, walking a few inches from them, etc...and have never even seen them come close to striking. They seem to try and fade into the background, don't want to be noticed. They just watch, and let you go by. I have a feeling that unless they rattle and know that you have been warned, they pretty much leave you alone.

I have to agree with this. About the only time I knew of a rattlesnake aggressively attacking was a buddy of mine about 30 years ago. The only thing that saved him was he stopped as soon as he heard the rattle. The snake struck out in front of him at calf height and then took off into the brush.

One other thing, when you hear the rattle, it isn't a warning. It's the sound of a nervous snake caught by surprise. All snakes wiggle their tails when nervous. Nature merely saw fit to outfit these guys with a noise maker.

No one has mentioned the most dangerous predator yet. The 2 legged kind.

I have more concerns about them then snakes, bears, or cougars.

Yep, them is scary, especially when carrying a gun for "protection".

Personally, I hate guns. I am actually "scared" of them..

Heck, come to think of it..I guess I am just a big "SCARDITY-CAT"!! :)

Did I say "CAT"?? Oh man... COUGAR came to mind again! :smile: ( :D )

:smile: Yikes! Scary. My son who lives in Alaska always recommends the Super Dooper Bear Spray when my dad (his Grandpa, comes to vist).

We used to live in a log house near Fall City. I would see bears crossing the street all the time. They always seemed to be more afraid of me than I of them.

For some reason in my younger days when I hiked the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area.... it never crossed my mind that there would be bears about that would hurt us. BUT, we always had our food bag tied to a rope a thrown over a high branch then pulled up beyond a bears reach. Actually, it was those dang little night-mice that could do some damage to your backpack.

Interesting story... one night I kept hearing somthing running in my tent and running out. Well it turned out to be a mouse chewing on the end of my toilet paper. (Biodegrabale BTW) Guess he thought it was fine stuff to build his nest. Glad my food was up a tree.

I don't know if the typical black and brown bears have changed since then. I know the Grizzlies were all sent North in the sixities and it has been years since there have been sitings. Could they be moving south again?

Ms. Wd

Since we are still talking about "protection"..does somebody have a "picture" of what the leaves of Poison Oak looks like?

My husband, being from Australia, doesn't have a clue..and I think it would be good if he could see an actual here on the forum.

Thanks

Since we are still talking about "protection"..does somebody have a "picture" of what the leaves of Poison Oak looks like?

My husband, being from Australia, doesn't have a clue..and I think it would be good if he could see an actual here on the forum.

Thanks

My brother-in-Law.... Team Sagefox... had a whole array of pictures he sent us when we made a trip down through Oregon and Northern California. I will write him and see if he still has something that he could post for you.

Edited by Wienerdog

The Wikipedia link has better pictures - looks all too familiar.

The first photo in the first link has FIVE leaves! What's with that?

Yep, in the fall, PO leaves turn bright red - beautiful hillsides, but deadly! :smile:

I grew up in Southern Calif. surrounded by poison oak, so I know what the stuff looks like. I was caught unaware when I got into it at Oscar's Place because I wasn't expecting to encounter it up here, and because the leaves were not notched like poison oak. They were shaped more like a football. After I pushed it aside (I remember being grateful that it didn't have thorns :) ) there was something all too familiar about the way the green leaves were mottled red. Just like the way poison oak starts to color up in the fall. I saw that the leaves were in groups of 3 and decided to get the heck out of there. I didn't clean myself up until later because I was on a tight schedule that day and I was sure it couldn't have really been poison oak because I thought it was too cold for it to grow here. You think you get away unscathed but it takes 2-3 days after exposure for the blisters to appear and by then it's too late to do anything about it. It is absolutely Hell to go through. It itches so bad you want to scratch your skin off, but it hurts so much that you almost vomit when you touch it. It lasts for weeks. Looking back at the photo I took of myself, it's so swollen that I can't even believe it's my own arm. Yucccck!

Yep, in the fall, PO leaves turn bright red - beautiful hillsides, but deadly! :smile:

I grew up in Southern Calif. surrounded by poison oak, so I know what the stuff looks like. I was caught unaware when I got into it at Oscar's Place because I wasn't expecting to encounter it up here, and because the leaves were not notched like poison oak. They were shaped more like a football. After I pushed it aside (I remember being grateful that it didn't have thorns :) ) there was something all too familiar about the way the green leaves were mottled red. Just like the way poison oak starts to color up in the fall. I saw that the leaves were in groups of 3 and decided to get the heck out of there. I didn't clean myself up until later because I was on a tight schedule that day and I was sure it couldn't have really been poison oak because I thought it was too cold for it to grow here. You think you get away unscathed but it takes 2-3 days after exposure for the blisters to appear and by then it's too late to do anything about it. It is absolutely Hell to go through. It itches so bad you want to scratch your skin off, but it hurts so much that you almost vomit when you touch it. It lasts for weeks. Looking back at the photo I took of myself, it's so swollen that I can't even believe it's my own arm. Yucccck!

Ick! I got into poison ivy while visiting Indiana when I was like 9. It took 2 of my uncles to hold me down while my Dad treated the PI with alcohol and calamine lotion.

Yep, in the fall, PO leaves turn bright red - beautiful hillsides, but deadly! :o

I grew up in Southern Calif. surrounded by poison oak, so I know what the stuff looks like. I was caught unaware when I got into it at Oscar's Place because I wasn't expecting to encounter it up here, and because the leaves were not notched like poison oak. They were shaped more like a football. After I pushed it aside (I remember being grateful that it didn't have thorns :unsure: ) there was something all too familiar about the way the green leaves were mottled red. Just like the way poison oak starts to color up in the fall. I saw that the leaves were in groups of 3 and decided to get the heck out of there. I didn't clean myself up until later because I was on a tight schedule that day and I was sure it couldn't have really been poison oak because I thought it was too cold for it to grow here. You think you get away unscathed but it takes 2-3 days after exposure for the blisters to appear and by then it's too late to do anything about it. It is absolutely Hell to go through. It itches so bad you want to scratch your skin off, but it hurts so much that you almost vomit when you touch it. It lasts for weeks. Looking back at the photo I took of myself, it's so swollen that I can't even believe it's my own arm. Yucccck!

Oh My Gosh! Ths was in Washington? I have lived here all my life and have never encountered this evil vine! Of course I wasn't visiting so many places as I do today. Mainly more up in the cascades. Which never seems to be a problem.

I guess I will be paying attention more these days. Does it affect dogs the same way? She aways comes first before me,

Mrs. WD

Oh My Gosh! Ths was in Washington? I have lived here all my life and have never encountered this evil vine! Of course I wasn't visiting so many places as I do today. Mainly more up in the cascades. Which never seems to be a problem.

I guess I will be paying attention more these days. Does it affect dogs the same way?

I wouldn't start worrying. PP apparently is a PO magnet. :unsure: Like I said, I've never seen any PO up here, outside of Seward, although I guess there are a few patches at these lower elevations. I don't think dogs are susceptible, although you could get it from touching Chloe if she ran through a thicket and you are sensitive to it.

That's one thing to know - not everybody's allergic to PO. I used to be completely immune, I could roll in it and nothing happened. Unlike PP, who appears highly allergic. But repeated exposure breaks down immunity, and after a couple of years orienteering in California, and getting repeatedly exposed, I started getting rashes. But still only after serious encounters and if I don't put on protectant. Some of my orienteering compadres can't orienteer at all in parks that have PO because they are so highly sensitive.

The other thing to know: Tecnu. Orienteers swear by this poison-oak preventative/treatment. You can buy it at many drugstores or online. It's wonderful stuff. Breaks down the irritant oil if you put it on within 6 hours of exposure, so you don't get the rash. If you do get a rash (PP's right, it takes 2-4 days to occur), it can reduce the agony and itchiness and cause faster recovery.

I guess I will be paying attention more these days. Does it affect dogs the same way?

I wouldn't start worrying. PP apparently is a PO magnet. :unsure: Like I said, I've never seen any PO up here, outside of Seward, although I guess there are a few patches at these lower elevations. I don't think dogs are susceptible, although you could get it from touching Chloe if she ran through a thicket and you are sensitive to it.

That's one thing to know - not everybody's allergic to PO. I used to be completely immune, I could roll in it and nothing happened. Unlike PP, who appears highly allergic. But repeated exposure breaks down immunity, and after a couple of years orienteering in California, and getting repeatedly exposed, I started getting rashes. But still only after serious encounters and if I don't put on protectant. Some of my orienteering compadres can't orienteer at all in parks that have PO because they are so highly sensitive.

The other thing to know: Tecnu. Orienteers swear by this poison-oak preventative/treatment. You can buy it at many drugstores or online. It's wonderful stuff. Breaks down the irritant oil if you put it on within 6 hours of exposure, so you don't get the rash. If you do get a rash (PP's right, it takes 2-4 days to occur), it can reduce the agony and itchiness and cause faster recovery.

Thanks Abs,

Sounds like me and nettles. Used to be I was screamin down the road.. "Give me Calamine..anyone...give me Calamine!" Now, after being in the woods I can brush up against it, touch it and yes, I feel a slight pinch, but it seems to go away in no time. I remember in the past it would raise welts on me. Now if I sat in it, or picked a bunch to bring home to put in my favorite vase, well that may be a different story! I guess we can all build up a resitance to things we are exposed to on a regular basis.

I wouldn't start worrying. PP apparently is a PO magnet. :laughing: Like I said, I've never seen any PO up here, outside of Seward, although I guess there are a few patches at these lower elevations. I don't think dogs are susceptible, although you could get it from touching Chloe if she ran through a thicket and you are sensitive to it.

The other thing to know: Tecnu. Orienteers swear by this poison-oak preventative/treatment. You can bu

y it at many drugstores or online. It's wonderful stuff. Breaks down the irritant oil if you put it on within 6 hours of exposure, so you don't get the rash. If you do get a rash (PP's right, it takes 2-4 days to occur), it can reduce the agony and itchiness and cause faster recovery.

I really appreciate everyone's help here!! I was raised in SPringfield, Oregon, and the Poison oak there is rampant in areas! I got it so bad once that I had to have shots for it. :laughing: And, it DOES take forever it seems to get over it. I am going to go to all the links that you all have sent, and make hubby sit down and take notes! :laughing: He wants to go to the valley this summer to cache, (Willamette), so I want him to know EXACTLY what it looks like, and can be aware.

Also, I had never heard of Tecnu..I know I will be looking it up!

Thankyou!! Howlingwind

I wouldn't start worrying. PP apparently is a PO magnet.

I'll have to vouch for Poison Oak at Browns Point Park as well. I did a park cleanup there about 3 or 4 years ago. One of the jobs I did was carrying the shrub trimmings to the truck in the parking lot. Never expected what I got for my efforts. My whole body was covered with the rash that Pandora's pic showed. It took weeks to clear up. My doctor said that he sees several cases of people coming from Browns Point with PO.

Three months later when I put the same t-shirt on that I had worn that day that had since been laundered, I was reinfected. Nasty stuff. Ended up trashing all those clothes and I am much more careful at this close-to-home park now!

I wouldn't start worrying. PP apparently is a PO magnet.

I'll have to vouch for Poison Oak at Browns Point Park as well. I did a park cleanup there about 3 or 4 years ago. One of the jobs I did was carrying the shrub trimmings to the truck in the parking lot. Never expected what I got for my efforts. My whole body was covered with the rash that Pandora's pic showed. It took weeks to clear up. My doctor said that he sees several cases of people coming from Browns Point with PO.

Three months later when I put the same t-shirt on that I had worn that day that had since been laundered, I was reinfected. Nasty stuff. Ended up trashing all those clothes and I am much more careful at this close-to-home park now!

Ironically, it isn't the critters that pose the biggest threat. We've lost three so far this year, and the hiking season is early.

GRANITE FALLS - An experienced hiker died Thursday after apparently tumbling 300 feet down Lewis Peak near Barlow Pass off the Mountain Loop Highway.

The Lake Stevens man, 62, was hiking with two other men on the west face of the peak, Snohomish County sheriff's deputy Rich Niebusch. His name wasn't released Thursday.

The man reportedly slipped on wet rocks and fell onto a rock-slide area, Niebusch said.

The two other men tried to reach their companion, but couldn't, and went to the ranger station in Verlot for help.

A helicopter from Whidbey Island Naval Air Station was called in, and the crew spotted the man and lowered someone to the ground, where it was determined that the man had died.

His body was taken to Paine Field, Niebusch said.

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office is expected to conduct an autopsy today.

The man's death marks the third fatal hiking accident in Snohomish County this year. Two men died in February after falling off trails on Mount Dickerman.

Edited by Criminal