Member Only Caches

We've been investigating the possibility of becoming signed up, fee paying premium members of GeoCaching, and I'm interested to know a bit more about what it's like in practice. The description of the benefits is a bit lacking in detail, I found.

Can anyone tell me any more about Member Only Caches? I know they exist, but have no idea whether there are many around or not. How likely are we to find that there are a few near us, or are they thin on the ground?

Plus, do they differ significantly from ordinary caches?

Very curious! What can you tell me!?

The main benefits for me of being a premium member are gpx files and eBooks.

The .gpx file allows me to download caches to my GPS, similar to a .loc file. But a GPX file contains much more information and allows me to automatically assign specific icons on my gps map.

The eBook allows me to view the cache pages on my mobile phone (SE P800) using the free Symbian eBook reader. Without this I'd have to print out all the cache pages.

You can also generate pocket queries (basically a fancy search) to find caches to specific requirements.

Regarding members only caches, I have never found one. I have just generated a PQ for all the members only caches within 100 miles of my postcode, and it found 27. There's a disclaimer on the main geocaching site that members only caches may not be any better than normal caches, and I'm sure this is true. I don't have a problem with members only caches - if someone wants to put a lot of time, effort, and money into a cache and only wants "serious" cachers to find it then thats fine by me.

Basically in conclusion I would say if you're thinking of getting a premium membership purely for access to members only caches then it might not be worth it. If you would use the additional search options then got for it. I will definately be renewing my membership when it comes up in November, purely because I make heavy use of GPX files and eBookes.

Edited by HooloovooUK

The main reason people pay up is not MOCs but pocket queries which are a powerful way of sending yourself files containing all the cache info for up to 500 caches at a time. So, for example, if you are planning a trip to an area you genrate the query and get a file that can be manipulated in various ways through software like GSAK and then uploaded to your GPSr/PDA/phone whatever as you like. It does away with loads of paper and allows all sorts of manipulations such as sorting and browsing.

There seems to be a few MO caches in the Lothian/Edinburgh region. The idea being (I think) that in a few weeks once a few people have found it it will be made available to all?

I dont think that idea will catch on in other parts of Scotland - certainly not Tayside. The whole idea of doing this with a MO cache just seems too exclusionary. Why should someone who does not want to be a paperless cacher have to take out a subscription just to do an occasional cache?? Plenty of non premium members give far more to the sport/game than most of the paying members.

Even if a MO cache was set 100m from my front door I would not log it until it had been made open to all.

Edited by Team Clova

We did the same on our last cache and really enjoyed watching who was looking at the page and how quick they responded :(

We usually put ours out as members only until they have been FTFd. 2 reasons:

1) It's gives premium members first shot

2) We have fun looking at the list of folks who have viewed the page, and betting who will get their first

It's mostly for our own amusement.

I don't have a problem with members only caches - if someone wants to put a lot of time, effort, and money into a cache and only wants "serious" cachers to find it then thats fine by me.

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper but what do you mean by 'serious' ? Does this imply that I am not a serious cacher just because i dont subscribe to the 'Premium Membership' My wife and I may be newbie's here with only 15 caches under our belts, but I can assure you that we are just as 'serious' as the next cacher. We will probably do one cache a week or maybe even a fortnight, but that is our prerogative. Does this make us 'non serious' cachers. Maybe it is Quantity that is important and not Quality. Personally I prefer Quality. (Rant over)

Red Squadron...............John & Ann

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper but what do you mean by 'serious' ? Does this imply that I am not a serious cacher just because i dont subscribe to the 'Premium Membership' My wife and I may be newbie's here with only 15 caches under our belts, but I can assure you that we are just as 'serious' as the next cacher. We will probably do one cache a week or maybe even a fortnight, but that is our prerogative. Does this make us 'non serious' cachers. Maybe it is Quantity that is important and not Quality. Personally I prefer Quality. (Rant over)

Not at all.... but there are plenty of people who sign up, do one or two, and then are never heard of again.

I can quote one example where someone signed up and did three caches - one of which contained a geocoin - and then dissappeared. The geocoin has never been seen again. If someone wants to make a cache members-only to help prevent this kind of thing from happening then that's fine by me.

I'm not saying a non-member can't be a 'serious' cacher. But a membership is a way of determining automatically if someone is 'serious' or not. By 'serious' I mean someone who has probably taken the time to read all the guidelines and FAQs, to learn about cache and TB etiquette etc.

Edited by HooloovooUK

By 'serious' I mean someone who has probably taken the time to read all the guidelines and FAQs, to learn about cache and TB etiquette etc.

Oh!

:(:(:)

One day I might have the need to download co-ords etc??

One day I might decide to take caching seriously??

Until which time I will go and crawl away and continue being an amateur!!

Oh come on guys stop throwing the rattle out of the pram :(

All I'm doing is giving an example of when a members only cache might make sense. If you setup a cache and populate it with loads of geocoins and travel bugs, and spend a bit of money on quality swaps as a prize for the first to find....... you don't necessarily want the first to find to be someone very new to geocaching who may think "ooh shiny!" and take all the stuff then never bother doing another cache again. And we all know that happens!!

Someone who is a paid-up member of the site is likely to be familiar with caching and so stuff is less likely to get stolen or go missing some other way.

I'm not saying a newbie can't also have diligently read all the FAQs and know all about TBs etc, but how else can you determine *automatically* someones familiarity with geocaching?

Edited by HooloovooUK

Oh come on guys stop throwing the rattle out of the pram :(

All I'm doing is giving an example of when a members only cache might make sense. If you setup a cache and populate it with loads of geocoins and travel bugs, and spend a bit of money on quality swaps as a prize for the first to find....... you don't necessarily want the first to find to be someone very new to geocaching who may think "ooh shiny!" and take all the stuff then never bother doing another cache again. And we all know that happens!!

Someone who is a paid-up member of the site is likely to be familiar with caching and so stuff is less likely to get stolen or go missing some other way.

I'm not saying a newbie can't also have diligently read all the FAQs and know all about TBs etc, but how else can you determine *automatically* someones familiarity with geocaching?

hi HoloovooUK,

You might want to look at the previous posters stats before making comments... :(

You might want to look at the previous posters stats before making comments... :)

Oh for gawd sake.......... :(:(

When did I refer to anyone in particular?

I'm talking about the generic "new geocacher" who comes along, takes all the shiny stuff, then is never heard from again!!! :)

Edited by HooloovooUK
You might want to look at the previous posters stats before making comments... :)

Oh for gawd sake.......... :):)

When did I refer to anyone in particular?

I'm talking about the generic "new geocacher" who comes along, takes all the shiny stuff, then is never heard from again!!! :)

QUOTE(perth pathfinders @ May 15 2006, 10:17 PM)

Oh come on guys stop throwing the rattle out of the pram

? could it have been here?

yep.... totally lost .. 130 + caches placed but clearly in your judgement, they are "unworthy"

hmmm ..... time to reconsider ?

Right. I'm getting mad now. :)

Is anyone actually reading my posts or just skimming them and making the rest up themselves?

Let me re-state this clearly and unequivically. IMHO:

1. A non-member *may* be a new inexperienced cacher who knows nothing about geocaching etiqette and it very likely to take all the swaps, including geocoins and TBs, and then never been seen again when they give up geocaching. We all know this happens and is a risk you take when placing a cache.

2. A non-member *may* be a throughly experienced cacher.

3. A premium member is likely to be an experienced cacher.

4. A premium member is highly unlikely to be a newbie.

So if you place a new cache and spend quite a bit of money (relatively) on quality swaps, and place a few geocoins and TBs for the first to find..... what is a reliable way of ensuring that all the stuff doesn't go missing when a newbie finds it and then gives up geocaching? That's right.... make it a members only cache.

Yes, that may well mean that an experienced and wholly worthy geocacher such as perth pathfinders will not be able to find the cache, but that could be a compromise the cache owner is prepared to make.

Edited by HooloovooUK

quote [so if you place a new cache and spend quite a bit of money (relatively) on quality swaps, and place a few geocoins and TBs for the first to find..... what is a reliable way of ensuring that all the stuff doesn't go missing when a newbie finds it and then gives up geocaching? That's right.... make it a members only cache.]

[/Quote]

Well said HoovoolovooUK .... wonder how much Perth Pathfinders spent?

I am not a premium member although I am a serious cacher, I have hidden a number of caches, a few of them are in the top 1 - 2% in the country, I don't mind who finds them and I refuse to place any such restriction on them, it does gall me however when someone who owns members only caches comes along and finds one of mine - it smells of double standards to me! :)

Edited by The Golem

I am not a premium member although I am a serious cacher, I have hidden a number of caches, a few of them are in the top 1 - 2% in the country, I don't mind who finds them and I refuse to place any such restriction on them, it does gall me however when someone who owns members only caches comes along and finds one of mine - it smells of double standards to me! :)

Yes I guess I can see someone finding that annoying.

I doubt any caches I place will be members only, but as I said I can understand why someone would do it.

Maybe there should be an option of only being able to see the coordinates and log a find once you've found x number of caches? That way you could place a cache that you didnt want newbies going to without cutting out people who didn't want to pay for the member services?

We must remember that although a cacher may make his cache MO, it only "protects" what's in that cache at that time. A PM does the cache, removes the guarded geocoin - or whatever - and places it in the next cache 0.1mi down the road. now the coin may go missing from that one so what's the point?

I just did another PQ for members only caches within a 1000 mile radius of my address in the West Midlands. It returned 95 results. So I think you can safely say that is the current number of members only caches in the UK.

Any time you run a PQ for more than 500 it should default back to 500 (waypoints or miles). Just running one for all MOCs in the UK finds 89 (I assume the difference is in how Groundspeak breaks up some countries/possessions etc.)

Getting to back to the topic, If your thinking of buying a Premium Member for the Member Only Caches, don't do it. You'll be disappointed. Generally MOCs are only a very small fraction of all caches (89/10981=.0081 or roughtly .8% of total UK caches). Also, there are no special criteria to create a Members Only Cache, so like caches in general some will be very good, others will be dumb, it all depends how who set it up and how much time they spent on it.

We originally put out our caches as open caches for everybody, but after the struggle that was being had on Sunday afternoons trying to log any caches that we had done due to the extreme slowness of the site we turned them into Member Only caches. Our reason for this was hoping that a few more people may be inspired to become Premium members thus contributing in a small financial way towards the upkeep of the site and the purchase of extra servers. However due to the upset this seems to cause we have reopened our caches for all to find in the hope that it will put an end to all of the mudslinging and nasty e-mails.

We must remember that although a cacher may make his cache MO, it only "protects" what's in that cache at that time. A PM does the cache, removes the guarded geocoin - or whatever - and places it in the next cache 0.1mi down the road. now the coin may go missing from that one so what's the point?

Well quite.

But I was thinking more along the lines of "quality" swaps. If you spend say 30 quid on some nice swaps for your cache you may not want a newbie finding it..... or at least finding it before more experienced cachers have had a chance.

yep.... totally lost .. 130 + caches placed but clearly in your judgement, they are "unworthy"

hmmm ..... time to reconsider ?

Right. I'm getting mad now. :)

Is anyone actually reading my posts or just skimming them and making the rest up themselves?

Let me re-state this clearly and unequivically. IMHO:

1. A non-member *may* be a new inexperienced cacher who knows nothing about geocaching etiqette and it very likely to take all the swaps, including geocoins and TBs, and then never been seen again when they give up geocaching. We all know this happens and is a risk you take when placing a cache.

2. A non-member *may* be a throughly experienced cacher.

3. A premium member is likely to be an experienced cacher.

4. A premium member is highly unlikely to be a newbie.

So if you place a new cache and spend quite a bit of money (relatively) on quality swaps, and place a few geocoins and TBs for the first to find..... what is a reliable way of ensuring that all the stuff doesn't go missing when a newbie finds it and then gives up geocaching? That's right.... make it a members only cache.

Yes, that may well mean that an experienced and wholly worthy geocacher such as perth pathfinders will not be able to find the cache, but that could be a compromise the cache owner is prepared to make.

Wandering off topic... When does a "Newbie" cease to be a "Newbie" and when does a cacher become "Experienced"? I would like to know what categories I am in. :)

Wandering off topic... When does a "Newbie" cease to be a "Newbie" and when does a cacher become "Experienced"? I would like to know what categories I am in. :)

Well that's really the point I'm making.

Any system to differentiate between the two has to work automatically by the server without the need for human intervention.

The current system for this is that a newbie is defined as a normal member, and an experienced cacher is defined as a premium member. This is on the grounds that a newbie is highly unlikely to become a member of the site until they've done a few caches and decided they're going to stick with the hobby. Of course, this has it's problems that some experienced cachers simply dont want or need the premium member services and so dont sign up.

I suggested an alternative of being able to place a cache that is limited to people who have found at least (say) 20 other caches first. This would clear out the newbies that do two or three caches and take all the swaps (not aware they're doing something wrong) but still allow for non-premium-members access to the cache. Then you could spend a bit more money on swaps safe in the knowledge that only cachers who know the rules would be able to find it. Of course there's still the risk of a cache being muggled, but that's the same premium or not.

Edited by HooloovooUK

I understand what Hooloovoodoo (sorry couldnt resist! :( ) is saying about new cachers possibly muggling a newly set cache. But if a new cacher has gone to the trouble of purchasing a GPS and trying the sport, then we should be welcoming them with open arms, not looking at them as a potential muggler. We need to accept that things may disappear regardless - it happens with well established caches as well.

Do we not take that chance anyway? - we are talking after all about a container hidden in a pile of leaves that could go awol for any number of reasons. Making it Member only is not going to stop this happening.

Are people setting Member only Caches, for the sole reason you mentioned of preventing Newbies from finding their cache, or is this getting cliquey in that only their Premium member pals can find the cache first? I do wonder on the motives of setting such a cache.

Should I require Premium membership in the future for the extra facilities, I will not make my caches exclusive to members only, I will take the chance. :(

Of course you can't remove the risk of a cache being muggled, or emptied, completely. But you could at least *minimise* the risk by keeping the unwary newbies away. Yes we should welcome newbies but they can cause problems purely through not knowing enough caching etiquette as opposed to any malevolence. If you place an expensive cache you might just want to limit that risk.

As you say, I'm not convinced that is the whole reason why a lot of members only caches are set.

Edited by HooloovooUK

The current system for this is that a newbie is defined as a normal member, and an experienced cacher is defined as a premium member. This is on the grounds that a newbie is highly unlikely to become a member of the site until they've done a few caches and decided they're going to stick with the hobby. Of course, this has it's problems that some experienced cachers simply dont want or need the premium member services and so dont sign up.

Sorry but where is the system defined in that way - I know quite a few very experienced cachers who are not premium members and, judging by the number of premium members who post on this forum when obviously fairly new to the game, quite a few join up as soon as they get interested while still enthusiastic.

I, for one, certainly do not think much of the idea of potentially limiting new caches to people who have 20 or so under their belts as newbies deserve encouragement and should not have to serve a period of probation just because there are a few bad eggs in the game. But then I may be a bit biased as I am more interested in where a cache is than what is in it.

80 MO caches in the country now so a good result it's gone down.

The one thing that i believe is wrong is when a previously open cache is changed to MO.

Very annoying if you dont know the workarround for logging them (a deleberate workround left by the website owners)

Of course the cost of $3 for one months premium membership is a real stumbling block for anyone who wants to find out where they are.

Unfortunately, as we have seen in other threads, once a cache has been active for a while, it often becomes depleted of good swaps and lots of rubbish is left in its place, or it is not well maintained.

Do we really want Newbies to fine one of these such caches?

Perhaps I should set a few non-member caches for Newbies only? :( (oops sorry, the devil made me say it!!)

We usually put ours out as members only until they have been FTFd. 2 reasons:

1) It's gives premium members first shot

2) We have fun looking at the list of folks who have viewed the page, and betting who will get their first

It's mostly for our own amusement.

T

I do this too, the non paying member still get their chance when it becomes live for all.

I also look at it as an extra wee perk for the cacher who parts with their money towards the actual site.

There seems to be a few MO caches in the Lothian/Edinburgh region. The idea being (I think) that in a few weeks once a few people have found it it will be made available to all?

I dont think that idea will catch on in other parts of Scotland - certainly not Tayside. The whole idea of doing this with a MO cache just seems too exclusionary. Why should someone who does not want to be a paperless cacher have to take out a subscription just to do an occasional cache??

I don't think it is exclusionary in this example, as the non paying member still gets to go out and find it, but just a couple of weeks after it has been placed. what they have lost is the FTF benefit. I am one of the people that you are talking about. I know of one other member that has became a premium member after realising that I do this, and now carries out the practice himself. He is also a fairly new cacher.

There is more to subscription than MO caches, I just look at it as an extra perk. Someone shouldn't become a member if the only thing they want is MO caches, as they will be sorely dissappointed.

I am not a premium member although I am a serious cacher, I have hidden a number of caches, a few of them are in the top 1 - 2% in the country, I don't mind who finds them and I refuse to place any such restriction on them, it does gall me however when someone who owns members only caches comes along and finds one of mine - it smells of double standards to me! :(

I think it is a only double standards if all the persons caches where MO's. All of mine are for all members, but the last few which I have placed this year, (bar 3 for events) have all started as MO's for the first couple of weeks.

80 MO caches in the country now so a good result it's gone down.

The one thing that i believe is wrong is when a previously open cache is changed to MO.

Very annoying if you dont know the workarround for logging them (a deleberate workround left by the website owners)

Of course the cost of $3 for one months premium membership is a real stumbling block for anyone who wants to find out where they are.

I certainly don't condone any cache going from available for all to MO, I for one will never do it that way around.

The one months premium membership is a nice cheap option to try before commiting to a longer term. $3 equates to something like £1.80?

Unfortunately, as we have seen in other threads, once a cache has been active for a while, it often becomes depleted of good swaps and lots of rubbish is left in its place, or it is not well maintained.

Do we really want Newbies to fine one of these such caches?

Perhaps I should set a few non-member caches for Newbies only? :( (oops sorry, the devil made me say it!!)

The swaps really is a different topic as they can be depleted from any type of cache, but you are correct we don't want newbies to find caches full of tat, but people will still downtrade.

As for the non-member cache, one has been set in Germany? People may think that the concept is no different, but when you think about it it is!

An MO cache can be viewed as an owner gving the premium member a wee perk for their monetary contribution to the site. This is something which Groundspeak are obviously happy for people to do, as they are the ones that have gave us this facility.

A cache that is there for everyone to see is there for everyone to do, to delete an entry (which is what you would have to do to police it) goes against most peoples feelings on a find. As has been stated on this thread already non members give a lot to the community as do premium members. You should not be allowed to say a certain group of people can't find a cache that they can see. MO caches can't be seen by non paying members so other than a TB going into it, no harm has actually been done.

I suppose it's a bit like having a closed board on a forum, for say the moderators, like Groundspeak has. If the members can't see or access it what harm is done for having it for that group alone?

Groundspeak have always stood by that a member does not have to pay. The non paying members have always put up a good argument when it has been called for them to pay, and Grounspeak have stayed firm with their decision. Which is fine.

On the same note Groundspeak allow MO caches. So using the same principle, why can't we choose to have these if we wish?

Of course you can't remove the risk of a cache being muggled, or emptied, completely. But you could at least *minimise* the risk by keeping the unwary newbies away. Yes we should welcome newbies but they can cause problems purely through not knowing enough caching etiquette as opposed to any malevolence. If you place an expensive cache you might just want to limit that risk.

I suspect that by far the majority of muggled caches were emptied by accidental finders, rather than by inexperienced geocachers. So making the cache members-only is unlikely to protect your expensive swaps very much at all.

Where "unwary newbies" are perhaps a genuine danger is with coins and bugs. But as others have pointed out, any protection your TB was afforded by being in a MO cache will vanish the first time it's moved on. So rather than have your bug disappear from the first cache it's placed in, it'll disappear from the second. Is it really worth it?

I am a premium member (well, a charter member actually :( ) and would encourage others to support geocaching.com by becoming paying members. But I cannot agree with having members-only caches and want nothing to do with them.

When I found out that Fellsmanhiker had made his caches Members Only, I promptly deleted all of my logs from them. My stats went down, but then I'm not a numbers man! :(

We originally put out our caches as open caches for everybody, but after the struggle that was being had on Sunday afternoons trying to log any caches that we had done due to the extreme slowness of the site we turned them into Member Only caches. Our reason for this was hoping that a few more people may be inspired to become Premium members thus contributing in a small financial way towards the upkeep of the site and the purchase of extra servers. However due to the upset this seems to cause we have reopened our caches for all to find in the hope that it will put an end to all of the mudslinging and nasty e-mails.

i for the same reason made my caches member only and now due to all the bad emails i have received as well i have now disabled all my caches and they are up for adoption if no one wants them in the next week i will archive them all i think its very sad when it has come to this :(

i for the same reason made my caches member only and now due to all the bad emails i have received as well i have now disabled all my caches and they are up for adoption if no one wants them in the next week i will archive them all i think its very sad when it has come to this :(

Isnt it sad when people get hounded and abused just for having an opinion contrary to others. It seems that a lot of cachers are more intent on the politics of caching than finding a cache.

All my more recent caches have been M.O. for the first couple of weeks or so. I kinda like to know who's been looking at the web page and how many times they've looked before the get off their butts and go look for the actual cache!! Once the novelty has worn off, I open them up to all.

So far I've never had a problem with anyone getting upset about it and to be honest, I wouldn't give a t*ss anyway. It'd be their problem, not mine :(

I'm pro-choice. As a non PM, PMO caches don't hurt me in the slightest. They're no good for getting new people into the sport (a good thing, some might say?) but while there are lots of standard caches around, it's not an issue. The only problem I have with them is when one of my TBs gets dropped in one. Without a location in the cache name, I have *no* idea where in the world my TB has got to. But it's not happened often, and it's hardly a biggy. Whatever... Face. Bothered? :(

As you say, I'm not convinced that is the whole reason why a lot of members only caches are set.

The problem with this idea is that it assumes 1. No newbies (whens a newbie not a newbie?) are paying members. 2. Every experienced (what that ends up meaning) paying member is a good person and are not the people swapping the new shiny babbits for old broken ones, and that none of the missing jeeps/coins went into their pockets.

The reality is that if you're sticky finger cheapskate thats raiding caches, you will still be that same person after you pay in the $30(us). Only now you're armed with PQs and insta notices and have the 'rank' and 'experience' of a Premium member. :)

If your thinking of buying a Premium Member for the Member Only Caches, don't do it.

Especially if its our one..trust us its not worth it. Our MOC is only Members Only because we wouldn't want someone to find it as their first ever cache, they would be very disa pointed :)

I bought Membership because my nearest unfound cache was your virtual member-only one. It is all your fault that I am now paying £30 per year for a quite brilliant hobby :ph34r:)

Thank you! :blink:)

For most cachers, GPSr, car, tank of fuel, etc etc ... what's the price of a premium membership compared to these or a night in the pub?

I say the PM price is well worth it for what it offers, particularly the Pocket Queries, and yes I have a members only cache too. The reasons? Tired of the same old people rushing out to be ftf and then overly critical of the cache, less chance it would be muggled, wanted to keep something special for those who do support this site, did it as an experiment, meant the maintenance was easier, live in an area where several caches were hijacked last summer etc etc I could go on, but tis late and I need my bed.

It is also usefull to remember that some people can not pay for premium membership for many reasons such as age, lack of credit facilities, unwillingness to use the internet for money transactions.

I wont set MO caches allthough i have in the past but this doesn't stop me from hunting for them.

My original comment stands about changing the status of a cache after it has been available to all, imagine 15 year old lad sees a cache and prints out the page goes out finds it comes home goes to log it online to find he can no longer acces the cache page as he is not a premium member.

NB

I do strongly disagree with sending personal emails they should have the guts to say what they need to say on these forums shame on whoever it is. :ph34r: