Question On Reviewers

Misha

Hi

How does a cacher satisfy this request? My sensor can’t hold all the midpoints of previously completed caches, I definitely don't have the any other than the start points for multys, and as for puzzles the importance of their posted coords baffles me.

OK! I see that we don’t want to find several caches in one search, but what we are using are placement guidelines, not rules. In my opinion mid points should be insignificant, many of these are collecting info and not seeking a cache too!

I feel that CA sees everything in black and white, and no gray.

Misha

Ps how does one become a reviewer?

This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

cache agent posted a reviewer note for River-View 2 (Not Published) (Traditional Cache) at 5/10/2006

Log Date: 5/10/2006

Misha,

Your cache is close to a middle waypoint that you help place on a multi cache. Please be more careful next time.

Thank you,

Cache Agent

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Hi

How does a cacher satisfy this request? My sensor can’t hold all the midpoints of previously completed caches, I definitely don't have the any other than the start points for multys, and as for puzzles the importance of their posted coords baffles me.

Well, when we are trying to place caches, we make sure that we have found all of the nearby multis first - and that we've written them down or entered them as waypoints into our GPSr. There are several reasons why caches cannot be too close to each other, and most of them apply to all stages of multis/mystery caches as well as to traditionals.

Also, you can sometimes make the argument, in a polite note to the reviewer, as to why the points of a particular multi/mystery don't count. So, for example, "I know that Cache Multi has stage 2 at nearby ccords, but for that stage, you are reading information off of a historical marker plaque, and not searching for a cache container. This should reduce the chances of finders being confused between the historical marker and my ammo can hide" (um, just say it better than I did!). :(

One option that I've seen before in the forums is that if you don't have the mid-points for a multi, and aren't able to search it out before you hide your cache, is that you can e-mail the reviewer before posting your listing and ask, "Hey, do you know if these coords are too close to any stage of _____"

1. Yes, you *are* expected to take into account the intermediate and final waypoints of multicaches, and the actual locations of puzzle caches, when hiding a new cache in the same area. Such are the perils of hiding a new cache in a cache dense area. So I would head into the field with those waypoints in my GPS, or I'd contact the owner if I didn't save them, and ask for help.

2. It looks like your reviewer cut you a break, and published this cache even though it was less than the required distance from an intermediate waypoint of a nearby multicache. To me that demonstrates flexibility, not black and white rigidity. Another reviewer may have held up publication and made you move your cache. When I cut someone a similar break, I have a form letter that says something like "please keep the cache saturation guideline in mind when planning your cache placements in the future." You should be grateful that Cache Agent speaks something closer to English, rather than Legalese. "Please be more careful next time" says the same thing as my note, but in one-third the words. :(

3. See How do I become a volunteer cache reviewer? in the Frequently Asked Questions thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

I don't ever pay attention to the middle parts of multi caches. I don't know where they are, so I can't factor them into my hide. When you get right down to it you should be able to list a cache based on the information available to the 'caching public'.

If this site wishes to enforce the 528' rule instead of the 'you won't find the middle stage on accident' rule it's just more work for the reviewers. It does look like the reviewers keep this in mind to an extent.

If you helped place the first cache, you should have at least been aware that one or more of the stages were nearby. You then could have emailed the reviewer with your potential cache spot's coordinates to see if it passes muster. It's better to check beforehand, rather than finding out after you've placed the cache and written up the cache page.

I was doing a multi in 2004 that was supposed to lead to an ammo can. I found a pill bottle in a tiny hole that would hardly hold a coke can, much less an ammo can. As a newbie back then, I went home and logged the multi, noting that I had found a pill bottle rather than an ammo can. The pill bottle was about 30 feet from the coords I was actually supposed to be looking for. I had found another cache altogether! In the year 2006, there is a cache on every corner so we MUST be careful to distance ourselves from other caches.