Using An In-ground Utility Box

I have a sweet idea for a cache that involves using a tough plastic utility box/vault that I would place on a top of a hill in a hole I would dig. I am planning on putting an ammo box in there. I have planned to camo the lid of the utility box to look like a rock.

The boxes are normally placed in the ground and contain sprinkler controls or water meters with a lid that is flush with the ground. For the life of me I don't know what they are called. Does anyone have an idea of what they are called or have any idea of what I am referring to? I am trying to figure out where to get one. Now if I could get my hands on a cement one, that would be even better.

I have a sweet idea for a cache that involves using a tough plastic utility box/vault that I would place on a top of a hill in a hole I would dig. I am planning on putting an ammo box in there. I have planned to camo the lid of the utility box to look like a rock.

"ST,"

They are called Spinkler valve boxes. The only problem is they don't comply with GC's No Burying guideline.

The boxes are normally placed in the ground and contain sprinkler controls or water meters with a lid that is flush with the ground. For the life of me I don't know what they are called. Does anyone have an idea of what they are called or have any idea of what I am referring to? I am trying to figure out where to get one. Now if I could get my hands on a cement one, that would be even better.

I've seen this several times and it could be cool. Especially way out in the desert where you wouldn't expect to see one. However, this type of cache is generally not permitted per the guidelines. You state that you would dig a hole to place the cache. Digging holes will get you flamed in these forums. If you must dig a hole be sure you have permission from the land owner or land manager. Instead of digging a vault, you might think of using a fake landscaping bolder. These are hollow and you could place one over the cache. One big enough to cover an ammo can might be too large to drag up a hill (unless you can drive up it).

Yep, no digging allowed per GC.com:

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method. "

Rather than dig a hole, can you find a pile of rocks to place it in? Some people hate rock pile hides, others love 'em. :(

They are called Spinkler valve boxes. The only problem is they don't comply with GC's No Burying guideline.

I don't believe 'burying' is actually prohibited, strictly speaking.

Under "Hiding your First Geocache" the guidelines state:

Step 3 - Placing Your Cache

Please do not bury the container unless you have express permission of the landowner or manager ... an exception would be covering the cache with dead branches, bark, etc. to conceal the container.

IMHO the spinkler valve cover would count among the "etc." items for covering the cache. If you don't want to actually remove dirt to make the hole, just find an existing depression of the right shape and size.

There is a cache near me that is hidden in much the same way, and it stumps people all the time. I made four visits before I found it!

If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

No need to use a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object to lift a spinkler valve cover off a hole, right?

Edited by KBI

The concrete ones are utility vaults. The plastic ones you can find at Home Depot, Lowes or the like in the sprinkle section and...I actually don't know they they are called.

The one I have seen was actually in front of a irrigation supply store. Placed with permission which is what you need to bury it as intended.

"ST,"

What if no hole was dug and the box was placed into a natuaral depression and had some loose sand fill around the sides? The camo'd lid would be exposed and it would not require the finder to dig. The finder would have to just lift the lid off and reach in to pull out the ammo box.

...What if no hole was dug and the box was placed into a natuaral depression and had some loose sand fill around the sides? The camo'd lid would be exposed and it would not require the finder to dig. The finder would have to just lift the lid off and reach in to pull out the ammo box.

That fits the rules.

Great! The only difference is now I would not be digging to place it, but I would need to find a hole that was pre-existing. That works for me!

Yep, no digging allowed per GC.com:

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method. "

Rather than dig a hole, can you find a pile of rocks to place it in? Some people hate rock pile hides, others love 'em. :(

That is a good idea.

The concrete ones are utility vaults. The plastic ones you can find at Home Depot, Lowes or the like in the sprinkle section and...I actually don't know they they are called.

The one I have seen was actually in front of a irrigation supply store. Placed with permission which is what you need to bury it as intended.

We also call them hand holes and pull boxes. The concrete ones are also knows as "Quazite" boxes - which is a brand name, much the same way facial tissue is called Kleenex.

-dave

Those things aren't sealed are they? The ones I've use for sprinkler system are open on the bottom. They are meant just to kee the sides from caving in. Wouldn't make a good cache container would it?

BIll

They were planning to put an ammo box IN the "utility" box....

I have a sweet idea for a cache that involves using a tough plastic utility box/vault that I would place on a top of a hill in a hole I would dig. I am planning on putting an ammo box in there.