Caching Felines

LoLoLoco

My wife saw an event cache that looks fun. But, we would like to take our cat to it without losing her. Opinions of other cachers: is it cruel to leash a cat for geocaching? I personally don't think so. Especially when we want to hold on to our cat for a long time. Any opinions? It would definitely be a new thing for geocaching.

I don't think you'll offend people, but most cats would be rather offended... :(

If the cat is used to being outdoors on a leash, it probably won't be a problem. However, keep in mind that many geocachers own dogs (often BIG dogs). If the cat is likely to freak out, you don't want to over-stress it and possibly risk it running off into the woods. A terrified cat on a leash can injure or kill itself if unsupervised. :(

WE think that if you brought a cat on a leash to a geocaching event you run the risk of making yourselves, the cat and all the cachers there with dogs quite miserable. I'm sure the dogs present would love it!

What has been your experience so far with walking the cat on a leash and encountering dogs being walked, for example in a park? Positive? :(

I think it sounds like an excellent idea, until you add in the dogs on leashes. If your cat is used to be walked on a leash, and is used to being around dogs on leashes, it might not be too bad. But, keep in mind that if it is an outdoor event (I'm assuming so, since you mention bringing the cat), that likely a few cachers will have their dogs there. Is your cat ready for being trapped on a leash in a harness while doggies are all around it?

I know that my cats can't handle being in the same room as our puppies, even if the pups are in their crate. Putting the cats on a leash just makes them feel more insecure, so would likely make them less happy to be around dogs. But, my sister's cat grew up with a 95 lb husky and a 200+ pound Akita -- it was totally unfazed by all dogs. She could likely have taken it to an event if she was into geocaching. However, that's not to say it wouldn't have driven the other dogs (and their owners) crazy.

f5863fd8-42b5-4b52-b399-3ba9bde3fd35.jpg

Well the cat has to be brought up with wearing a leash(starting at the kitten stage)I know now my cats won't put up with anything around there neck.Plus my kittys have no claws so there inside cats.But I have no problems with it,I think it would be cool.But I'm a person with three cats too.

Edited by Buddaman

My wife saw an event cache that looks fun. But, we would like to take our cat to it without losing her. Opinions of other cachers: is it cruel to leash a cat for geocaching? I personally don't think so. Especially when we want to hold on to our cat for a long time. Any opinions? It would definitely be a new thing for geocaching.

<Dog Lover Humor>

You know what else you could do! Put a travel bug tag around it's neck and shove it into an ammo box. Although, after a few weeks, the smell would give away the location of the cache.

</Dog Lover Humor>

:(

I had a friend who used to bring her cat camping. It would follow her around the site just like a dog and not wander off...

If you do decide to bring your cat because it can handle hiking and can handle dogs, be sure to put a harness on it instead of a normal collar. A harness won't slip off like a normal collar will.

Also, have a "Plan B" if there's a dog at the event that insists on trying to eat the cat.

Dang near all my life my parents and then my family have had cats. In all that time I have only owned one that was dog like enough to wear a leash and hang out with us when we went somewhere. Dang cool cat. However it's such a rare thing for a cat to be that way that they are usually left home or if it's an indoor cat inside your nice Air Conditioned Motor Home.