Tb Hoarder Page

zygote2k

Interesting concept, but how would a list like that be put together? You'd have to know the handles of all cachers to do a search to see what tbs they have and if they have held it for 90 days or more. OR know the names of all TBs and see if they've been held for 90 days or more.

The only one that could do this, would be Groundspeak itself, I would imagine, and I don't think they would have enough time to compile a list like that.

The owners of the TBs know who has them and for how long. If the owner has a problem with it, they can contact the cacher holding it. As a owner of several TBs, I have'nt had that problem yet.

I wonder if Groundspeak could use computers to automatically compile a list based on the Tb pages. I'm sure it woud be possible by writing someprogram and a new page for the server. However, it might be a little work...

However, I feel guilty myself as I have been holding 3 Tbs for about a month now... The weather here's been really bad, and I've been busy... oh well, will get into a cache ASAP.

I can provide the name of the cacher and the TB, and the next person can do the same. And so on.... When TB's are re-released, they and the cacher can be taken off the list. You can use this list as a reminder to those whom are holding TB's for 90 days or more. Nothing harmful intended.

It wouldn't change anything.

"So and so has my bug and hasn't logged into the site or responded to my emails for over a year".

Hey, group hug.

The OP is trying to make a point. Do I think they are offering a well intentioned solution? ah no.

As much good as it would be to vent, I agree with Blue Deuce. If they don't respond now, they won't respond later. Any sort of shame list will only work on those that... have pride?

Can we start a pinned topic that lists the names of all cachers who have been holding on to TB's for 90 days or more? No insults needed, just a list of the cachers' names and the TB's that they are holding.

No. We can't. For many reasons. And it wouldn't help.

maybe if the pinned topic asked really nicely for people to place the TBs...

j

In that case there is already a pinned topic: How to log a Travel Bug. Feel free to send that link to those who have held bugs too long. I've been caching for a lot of years now, and no one has ever solved the issue of the TB that goes astray.

I think it is a really bad idea myself and one that should not be considered. As a for instance, I have a TB that I've had since November 04, with the owner's permission. At the same time, he's had one of mine since the day it was released in August of 04 and that's just fine and dandy with me... I think that no good at all can come from posting a list like that.

LisaS

It would be much more effective to include real names and addresses. Maybe even SSNs! :laughing:

Naaaa, just do what this fruit cake does:

My solution is curses and blessings. Each of my TBs has one of each placed on them. If a person keeps my TB for more than 2 weeks they start to develope a rash which will eventually become some kind of incurable disease ending in death sometimes of old age. If a person moves my TB along they'll have a great day and if there are photos they stand a very good chance of winning a lottery. Its worked so far and is far less traumatic for the cute little fuzzy critturs that I send out. I've decided to add another curse for any new TBs that I send out for people who gang log them at events. I'm thinking possibly Syphllis.

The White Jeep Travel Bug "Poppy" has been taken and kept by a geocacher. This White Jeep Travel Bug belongs to jeep4x4 but some one has tried to cover up the fact that they took the Travel Bug and kept it. This is not the only Travel Bug they have kept and when they decide to keep TB's they go to great lengths to obfuscate the bug history, usually by having a sock puppet place the TB in a archived cache. People who try to cover up the fact that they have taken and kept TB's simply emphasize the fact that they are well aware of the fact that they are doing something which is shameful, ignorant and rude, that is why they cover up the fact that they are taking and keeping the property of others.

They decide to keep TB's even though the page is very clear and the owner selected mission is also very clear, they just ignore that when they decicde to keep another's TB. The person who decided to deprive the entire geocaching community of the White Jeep Travel Bug "Poppy" has gone to great lengths to try and seem like a normal concerned geocacher, thank goodness that another geocacher has already pointed out the two faces.

I wonder why the person who decided to take and keep "Poppy" bothered to try and cover up the fact that they did that, they have shown nothing but disrespect for the community, hiding "Poppy" indicates that they do understand what they are and what they did.

The person who kept the "Poppy" sent me an email saying that they understand how Travel Bugs work and have even dropped a few off rather than keeping them, amazing.

What is really amazing is that this person is here in this forum and acting like they have a concern.

When you keep a TB that does not belong to you you get a message after 14 days, using a sock puppet to place the TB in an archived cache gets rid of the message, then you can start a thread like this one deriding others who do not cover it up as well.

Edited by wavector

We are in cyberspace. Not the real world. Usually people could care less what happens here becasue there is no real world reprecussions. I fail to see why making people a spectical in an online forum would solve any problems. Obviously, it would turn into a stoning event. The offending people probably aren't even looking at the Groundspeak forums.

I don't think it would affect them in least. The people it might affect are people that probably wouldn't perform scandalous actions with a travel bug. So their name wouldn't even be in here.

maybe if the pinned topic asked really nicely for people to place the TBs...

j

In that case there is already a pinned topic: How to log a Travel Bug. Feel free to send that link to those who have held bugs too long. I've been caching for a lot of years now, and no one has ever solved the issue of the TB that goes astray.

While I agree that a pinned topic probably would not help, I can't say it won't help either. Neither can you. Also I agree nobody has yet solved the problem and yet it's a problem worth solving. I can't think of a single good reason for people to not keep trying.

I don't think the Idea would hurt one bit even if Geocaching.com is unwilling to host such a list.

Edit: I say that knowing full well that I deserve to be on the list having lost someones travel bug. Since I'l be moving soon I hope it turns up in some back corner along with a few Canadian Maple Leafs Gold Coins.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'm guilty too but I've got an idea that would solve the hoarder problem let's make the bug explode after being out of a cache more than 14 days that would fix it for good. I ceartainly would not want to forget. but hoarding or colecting is different from forgetting and mistakes happen. you can still contact the TB owner and let them know Just to be nice and maybe they won't want to have your library card taken from you the next time you turn in a book late because you were nice.

Quote "I have several Jeep Tb's in my collection. Rather than just outright keeping them out of circulation, is there any way that I could adopt them? For example, I have a WJTB in my own Jeep and let people log it when they see me at a cache or event. I'm sure I'm asking for flak from people who will say that I'm a hoarder, but I am really just looking to see if it can be done"

It seems rather hypocritical to make statements like this one and then turn around and start a threads complaining about people who are holding TB's. In my opinion, a TB is a TB. If it is not yours and you don't intend to move it along, then either leave it in a cache or leave it alone. People have taken time and money to set a TB on its way for whatever purpose. I have many caching partners who have complained about unscrupulous people stealing TB's (I won't call them geocachers). I understand when the owner gives specific permission to keep it. If one feels it appropriate to steal TB's and then consider it their right to keep them in "their collection" then one should reevaluate what the whole concept of Geocaching is intended to promote. If you want a collection, go out and buy a set of TB tags or geocoins with your own money instead of other peoples and create your own.

Quote "I have several Jeep Tb's in my collection. Rather than just outright keeping them out of circulation, is there any way that I could adopt them? For example, I have a WJTB in my own Jeep and let people log it when they see me at a cache or event. I'm sure I'm asking for flak from people who will say that I'm a hoarder, but I am really just looking to see if it can be done"

Insane. This is a case of very, very poor ethical grounding. In fact, it is poor ethics combined with greed and represents the flawed reality of those that view material possessions above social norms.

This person clearly doesn't "get" it.

BTW - you are NOT a Hoarder if you lose or misplace a Travel Bug (IMO) -- accidents happen. I own many tackables and have had occasions where someone has indicated a lost item. Taking responsibility and contacting the owner is courteous and mature - no need to feel bad about that.

Insane. This is a case of very, very poor ethical grounding. In fact, it is poor ethics combined with greed and represents the flawed reality of those that view material possessions above social norms.

BTW - you are NOT a Hoarder if you lose or misplace a Travel Bug (IMO) -- accidents happen. I own many tackables and have had occasions where someone has indicated a lost item. Taking responsibility and contacting the owner is courteous and mature - no need to feel bad about that.

Just for clarification. The quote that you quoted from me was taken from the person who started this thread. I purchase my own coins, TB's and make sure to pass along all TB"s or coins that I pick up.

I would e-mail the person who owns the trackable i lost but even I don't remember who owned it, I lsot it when I fell down a mountain.

I have 1 tracklabe that I have kept way too long but that is because it needs ot move north not south (it is heading toward new hampshire, and i mostly cache in jersey now).

There is a person in TN that has a jeep since GWIV and when i asked why they were keeping it, they didnt understand why i would ask.

I on the other hand had a jeep that i have lost in my moving from MD to FL and cant wait to find it and get it off my list. Finally down to the last 50 boxes, but got to have some fun during summer too.

Some people must like the plastic M&M guys, because i have over 6 MIA. One guy in NJ wont even answer the email anymore. Guess his little boy lost it.

It makes one wonder when people whose caching history is a find every few months, take Tb's.

I have a TB a "personal" from "Hellfire Pass" Japanese POW site, that a guy really admired when he found it and he's still got it. If a blacklist of these people were maintained, their accounts could be cancelled.

While they can still create another all thir smileys would be lost, and they may have the kind of mentality that it would bother them.

As advocated elsewhere, perhaps we have to accept that in sending out a TB, we are saying goodbye to it, and remain philosophical about all those who hoard them.

I used to be so upset when folks would hold my TB's for more than 2 weeks. I would email and email, and get so upset when my emails would go unanswered. So, to release my frustration (and to support the crew at Groundspeak), I ordered more TB tags and released them. Then, I ordered more and more and more. I have so many now, that when one goes missing, I no longer fret about it and no longer complain about it. If they want to keep it, then keep it. I usually only paid 50 cents for a keychain from Oriental Trading, or even got a keychain from a cache. Am I sad when one goes missing, sort of. But we have some awesome cachers out there keeping them moving, log their travels, post some awesome photos, and I'm loving spending so much time on the internet looking at the fun places that cachers get to go, that I will never be able to visit in my life time.

So, take a deep breath, order more tags, and release them into the game. It makes it easier to let go of the ones that go missing.

Just for clarification. The quote that you quoted from me was taken from the person who started this thread. I purchase my own coins, TB's and make sure to pass along all TB"s or coins that I pick up.

yes, yes.....I see how that might not have come across correctly! I assumed it was NOT you...sorry if that came across the wrong way!