Does This Cross The Line?

Am I just being sensitive, or is this too far for a 'family' site - F.A.G.S. Stick it in the rear end?

This is in bad taste. I can't imagine how this got published!

acronym = a bit "cheeky," but imo okay (pun intended)

cache title = a bit much

I agree with you on both points! I just can't imagine why anyone would want that acronym in the first place. :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog

From the profile:

F.A.G.S. is an acronym for the Florida Ape Geocaching Squad. It was formed with the goal of logging all APE caches - active or otherwise. In between actual APE cache hunts, we train by entering cache dense areas finding the maximum number of caches with the minimum amount of sleep. In order to maintain the tremendous amount of energy required to do this, we stick to a strict diet of Dr Pepper, peanuts (in the shell), donuts, and candy bars. On extended cache training exercises we will supplement this diet with cheese to minimize "down" time. If you happen to see the F.A.G.S. team in your area, it is suggested that you avoid Hardee's like the plague. Trust me.

I dunno, you can't judge a book by its cover. Nor a cache by its title.

I would bet that it got published because there was a good enough explaination in the reviewer note which probably means it is ok.

I understand the whole family friendly aspect but really is it that bad? I see worse in the grafitti on the way to perfectly acceptable caches...

Oh well to each his own I have heard of other cachers having to change there cache name due to it possibly being offensive and this one makes it through? Oh well I find it really funny that Yorky Lovers would give up caching because someone titled a cache with a risky name don’t like it don’t hunt it should be easy to pass up being a micro and all>0.02

I dunno, you can't judge a book by its cover. Nor a cache by its title.

I would bet that it got published because there was a good enough explaination in the reviewer note which probably means it is ok.

I understand the whole family friendly aspect but really is it that bad? I see worse in the grafitti on the way to perfectly acceptable caches...

Doesn't matter if it's the best cache ever put out in the history of caching. That's not the point. The title is offensive. Just because something else is worse (the grafitti example) doesn't make the title acceptable. How about we uphold some reasonable standard of decency?

I'm sure the title is some sort of witty play on words that a group of guys thought was really funny as they sat around joking. As long as it was among themselves it probably was. Publishing it for everyone to see isn't. There's a time and a place and GC.com isn't it.

It seems too like the group name and their "goal" of finding Ape Caches is just an excuse to use something off-color. How is that Ape Cache quest going anyway? Oh yeah, found one since last December. Impressive.

I guess what suprises me most is that a reviewer published this as is. I think we can do better.

It's not what I want to see on this site.

Same here.

Looks like they have recently placed a bunch of equally bad taste caches.

Also at a quick glance it looks like the members of this group live 3hrs away. Wonder how well those micros are gonna get maintained?

Do we really need another tattle thread?

Seems that this could have been handled in an email. After checking the cache page, I see no reason for the title and it has already been edited. I agree that it may appear to be in poor taste.

As for the acronym, who cares what it spells... :lol: When they posted on GW4, I quickly checked their profile to see if they were a sock account and quickly dismissed it....

I plan to hide one of those long brown M&M containers in the pooper of a topiary just as soon as I get permission from the owner. I was was thinking of a similar title sans acronym, of course. Would that be in bad taste?

I feel that the acronym for Florida Ape Geocaching Squad is extremely insensitive and offensive.

The term "Fag" is a derogatory term for a minority and should never have been allowed. Would this cache had been approved if the Ape squad had chosen a derogatory term for a racial minority? I don't think so! I would have thought that Geocaching.com would have higher standards. Can't say how disappointed I am right now in an organization I paid to belong to. :lol:

Would this cache had been approved if the Ape squad had chosen a derogatory term for a racial minority? I don't think so! I would have thought that Geocaching.com would have higher standards. Can't say how disappointed I am right now in an organization I paid to belong to

Geocaching.com doesn't choose user names, the users do. If they are found to be inappropriate then they will be dealt with.

The thing that makes this country great is FREEDOM, Freedom of speech included. Just like you have the freedom not to look at this cache page if you don't want to, you can also choose to whine about it...... all examples of freedom being exercised and I love it. Is the term fag offensive? Not to me it isn't, or my gay brother-in-law who commonly refers to his circle of friends as fags. When did we get so soft in this country that we are so easily offended by such small issues? I bet you could think of a few more important issues to take cause with if you put your mind to it. But the freedom to which you take for granted allows you to set around and whine and cry about the word fag. Forget about the soldiers sleeping in ditches under trucks in a desert, they got your back, keep crying all you want.

The thing that makes this country great is FREEDOM, Freedom of speech included. Just like you have the freedom not to look at this cache page if you don't want to...

Sorry Bud. There are no such freedoms in a private enterprise. Private enterprises are allowed to set their own standards and rules and for the most part can censor, suppress and silence any speech that does not meet their standards or conform to their rules.

Edited by briansnat

I don't find the title offensive at all. It may be in bad taste but not offensive. When I looked at the cache page and saw the fire I thought the group used a play on words becasue fags are also small sticks (I saw the page after the title had been edited) and if you're in the U.K., a fag is a cigarette. When someone says they are going to blow a fag, don't be upset unless you are against smoking.

I agree the group probably chose the acronym to stir things up, but it certainly is not offensive just immature.

Gerbilmafia- Yes, this country has freedom of speech, but with that freedom comes responsibility! You think this is a small issue? Think again...

The typical H.S. student hears anti-gay slurs 25.5 times a day. Consider that when you look at the following statistics.

In a study of 4,159 MA. H.S. students, 46% who identify as gay, lesbian, or bi-sexual, had attempted suicide in the past year, compared to 8.8% of their peers, and 23% required medical attention as a result of a suicide attempt compared to 3.3% of their peers.

These statistics show just how much words can hurt. People need to consider the effect their words can have on others.

Geocaching.com, I hope, will take a stand on this matter that will reflect the inclusive nature of geocaching as an activity that is enjoyed by all people, regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc.

edited for spelling.

Edited by team moxiepup
Sorry Bud. There are no such freedoms in a private enterprise. Private enterprises are allowed to set their own standards and rules and for the most part can censor, suppress and silence any speech that does not meet their standards or conform to their rules.

Your Right Bud, and it appears this private enterprise allowed it so deal with it....

Edited by Keystone

Your Right Bud, and it appears this private enterprise allowed it so deal with it.....

Why do you have to resort to name calling ... can't think of another way to get your point across?

Edited by Quiggle

Let's have a discussion like adults without namecalling and personal attacks. Don't make me stop this thread.

If you find the username offensive please feel free to report it to the contact address, and let Groundspeak decide whether it's consistent with their TOU.

First of all, I should make this clear: I think the cache and username are both inappropriate (and glad to see at least one has been changed). I also know the OP by reputation and been in contact with him a few times (and "borrowed" a couple of his cache ideas). I've also met (briefly) the male half of Yorky Lovers, and am familiar with other cachers in the area and have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

I'm kindof surprised to see the uproar over this cache...people threatening to quit caching (Yorky Lovers and another cacher who contacted me separately)...etc. As mentioned earlier, GC.com doesn't choose usernames, the users do. And they certainly don't approve caches...the volunteer reviewers do. I'm sure someone has already contacted Palmetto about it, and TPTB seem to be taking a look.

As geocaching becomes more popular, it's bound to attract people like this. It's the nature of people and the internet. I'm sure they chose the name just to stir things up, which they've accomplished (and I'm sure they are laughing about now, so congratulations: mission accomplished).

With that said, it appears that they are serious about caching: looks like they've gone out with other cachers, attended the Tdjvolks Meet and Greet, and the caches placed seem to be getting ok to good reviews.

Maybe I'm just thick skinned, or the years of PC being forced down my throat has made me jaded. There was another thread somewhere which I can't find now about cache names with "double meanings" but I can't find it now...curious how many of those could be considered offensive.

Sorry about the name calling but the avatar with a picture of a native american entitled "waypoint warrior" was offensive to me and I briefly lost my temper.

I believe the 5th grade penut gallery reply to that would be:

OOOOoOOOOoooo BURRRRRRNNNNNN!!!!

Sorry about the name calling but the avatar with a picture of a native american entitled "waypoint warrior" was offensive to me and I briefly lost my temper.

:lol:

And we all know what "Master of My Domain" means. Being Catholic, that particular double-entree is highly offensive.

Just kidding: I'm not Catholic.

Your Right Bud, and it appears this private enterprise allowed it so deal with it.....

Why do you have to resort to name calling ... can't think of another way to get your point across?

I think he was just censored (and censured) :lol:

Edited by Quiggle

If you think F.A.G.S is appropriate on this site, do you feel the same way about #############?

These are all derogatory terms. Simple as that.

To each his own, but the mob will rule.

F.A.G.S. doesn't bother me in the least and neither does your last example. I'd hafta see someone actually try to post the other one before I'd give an opinion. :(

Edited by Snoogans

Offensive speech is NOT protected by the First Amendment. I guess you didn't read that part.

There are some other usernames that should go, too, in my opinion.

Good to know children are seeing this kind of stuff here on 'family-friendly' GC.com. :(

Interesting, that some derogatory words are edited by the mods, but others...???

Especially interesting is that not just the derogatory words, which in this case were given as an example for comparison were edited, but the statements suporting the context in which they were used were edited as well. I thought DaveA made a very good point by his comparison. The words he used, especially the "N" word, were bandied about by the general public as acceptable for many years before people decided they had had enough, and would not abide the subjugation that such words, through the hatred implicit in them, inspired.

The use of the term "Fag" implies a hatred as well, and is inappropiate for this site.

Gerbilmafia- Yes, this country has freedom of speech, but with that freedom comes responsibility! You think this is a small issue? Think again...

The typical H.S. student hears anti-gay slurs 25.5 times a day. Consider that when you look at the following statistics.

In a study of 4,159 MA. H.S. students, 46% who identify as gay, lesbian, or bi-sexual, had attempted suicide in the past year, compared to 8.8% of their peers, and 23% required medical attention as a result of a suicide attempt compared to 3.3% of their peers.

These statistics show just how much words can hurt. People need to consider the effect their words can have on others.

Geocaching.com, I hope, will take a stand on this matter that will reflect the inclusive nature of geocaching as an activity that is enjoyed by all people, regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc.

edited for spelling.

A correlation is not necessarily causation. Those statistics tell us nothing about how "words can hurt".

In my experience, the five openly gay friends/acquaintences/coworkers I have had in my years have all had a much higher incidence of "drama queen" episodes than your average joe.

Suicide is the ultimate attention ploy.

Therefore, I posit that your statistics indicate that homosexuals, as a rule, are starved for attention.

:(

As for the original topic of the thread, I find it mildly humorous on a 7th grade level. Not worthy of the "firestorm" of controversy generated here in this thread.

As for the original topic of the thread, I find it mildly humorous on a 7th grade level. Not worthy of the "firestorm" of controversy generated here in this thread.

Agreed, although I'm sure several 7th graders are going to be offended that you don't find their humor funny. It would probably be more PC to say "Age Challenged" than to single out that specific group.

Interesting, that some derogatory words are edited by the mods, but others...???

I think the difference is that "fag" has a number of different meanings, some of which are not derogatory. The others that were edited have no other meaning other than a derogatory one.

Edited by briansnat

I think the difference is that "fag" has a number of different meanings, some of which are not derogatory. The others that were edited have no other meaning other than a derogatory one.

And the use of them added nothing to the discussion....speaking of which, is anything being added to this discussion?

Bret

And we all know what "Master of My Domain" means. Being Catholic, that particular double-entree is highly offensive.

Yes but I'm not trying to be PC here, I believe in freedom of speech and honestly don't care if someones feelings get hurt. Your feelings are not protected by the Constitution..... This group of cachers were just trying to draw attention to themselves and they did a great job at it. I say congrats to them.