Still Bugs In The Latest 60 Csx V2.70

Well tonight I take time to write to Garmin about all the flaws the 60 CSx and I wanted to share what I wrote to Garmin and I will also post the respond in a few days.

Here is my letter to Garmin:

Just update my 60 CSX to the latest version 2.70 and also the GPS SW v2.50

I then made some test to try if I can get the WAAS. Well I never get WAAS (35, or either Anik F1R or Galaxy15) and I should get at least one on those from my location in Montreal. I get the Egnos on Friday with full lock and all the litle "D" but never WAAS. This is very strange because my brother 60CS we can pick up WAAS 35 and others in test mode too !

Also their is a serious bugs to mention concerning WAAS when enable. If I go through a tunnel and lost satellite signals then when I get out of the tunnel I will never get satellite signals after I lost reception. I need to power OFF and ON the GPS to get satellite reception again. If WAAS is disable then I don't have this problem ! So their is something wrong with the WAAS option and the lost reception problem.

My last question is: Why the new X series has problem to get WAAS so hardly ? Is this a software problem or hardware ?

If it is software then why GArmin is not putting all WAAS almanac in the next update so at least the GPS will have the WAAS almanac and will have the WAAS birds in proper location to find it !

Also it will be nice from Garmin to make a news or an information about the problem concerning WAAS and the X series. Their is alot of speculation on the net about GArmin will never fix the WAAS problem and it is a hardware bugs with the Sirf III chipsets. This is not good news and Garmin should give us feedback to their customers about the X series flaws.

Thanks

There is also another glitch in the version 2.70 firmware where you can't search or get any POI data except the little grey dot on the map page.

If you upgrade to 2.71 then there is a glitch where when you go into USB mass storage mode without actually being at your computer, you can't turn the unit off (even with the power button) until you either plug into USB then unplug, or just remove the batteries (Isn't that bad for the unit?)

Garmin seems to be having a bad time with this unit. I sure hope they can figure it out soon :lol:

Edited by Train_Man

Hopefully you don't get the same canned response I get when I email them questions or recommendations, I also made several recommendations and had some other questions on if the memory card would become more functional for waypoints/routes etc.

I've gotten the same one with a different name at the bottom 3-4 times now.

I asked them if they had any new progress on the signal loss problem and got this simple canned response: It would be interesting to know what actually happened to my email, as I've yet to ever hear back from anyone actually repsonding to my questions/concerns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Garmin International E-Mail Support.

The highest complement a customer can give a company is to be concerned

enough to offer suggestions for improvement of a product. We appreciate you

comments & opinions regarding our products.

I have forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested

on customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as

yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future

GARMIN products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that

what you have suggested will be occur, however we do appreciate you passing

along your opinions.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this issue please

contact me by replying to this E-Mail. For new issues or concerns you can

contact Garmin Product Support at 1-800-800-1020 or via E-Mail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully you don't get the same canned response I get when I email them questions or recommendations, I also made several recommendations and had some other questions on if the memory card would become more functional for waypoints/routes etc.

I've gotten the same one with a different name at the bottom 3-4 times now.

I asked them if they had any new progress on the signal loss problem and got this simple canned response: It would be interesting to know what actually happened to my email, as I've yet to ever hear back from anyone actually repsonding to my questions/concerns.

You have to realize that most of their customer service reps are probably outsourced outside the US and just have a checklist of "canned" responses. I'm not impressed with Garmins customer service or hardly any other big company for that matter. Little or no personal touch.

That having been said, I do think Garmin is listening and their response is to implement and publish updated firmware to fix the problem. In this regard they do seem to be listening. I don't care if I get a personal e-mail from the Garmin President; I just want the darn problem fixed. As long as they do that is a reasonable amount of time, I will be satisfied.

At this point they have fixed up the 60csx to the point that there are still bugs, but they are now only nuisances rather then outright flaws. I'm satisfied and look forward to the CSX becoming a mainstay of the Gamin line as they clean up th remaining issues and add more features.

Brian

Brian

Edited by dumketu

There is also another glitch in the version 2.70 firmware where you can't search or get any POI data except the little grey dot on the map page.

If you upgrade to 2.71 then there is a glitch where when you go into USB mass storage mode without actually being at your computer, you can't turn the unit off (even with the power button) until you either plug into USB then unplug, or just remove the batteries (Isn't that bad for the unit?)

Garmin seems to be having a bad time with this unit. I sure hope they can figure it out soon :lol:

Why would you go into Mass Storage w/o being hooked up to the PC?

java script:emoticon(':lol:', 'smid_24')

:D

This is about has wise as putting you vehicle into Reverse...

While driving on the freeway! :(:(:)

Maybe if people didn't incorrectly use their device...

:)

Garmin seems to be having a bad time with this unit. I sure hope they can figure it out soon :)

java script:emoticon(':)', 'smid_24')

While driving on the freeway! :(:):)

:(

Garmin seems to be having a bad time with this unit. I sure hope they can figure it out soon :)

As we old engineers say "Nothing is foolproof because the fools are so creative" :)

Edited by Skeets_de

While driving on the freeway! :):(:)

java script:emoticon(':(', 'smid_24')

This should still be "idiot-proofed" a bit better. A new GPS user might accidentally do this while just exploring around the menus.

Brian

Actually I could easily see a multitude of users trying to access that feature thinking it has to do with other memory card functions, not just data transfer when hooked up to a PC, especially since it's a feature not covered in the manual. All the manual mentions are where the microSD card goes and that maps can magically be stored on it with a PC cable, and of course there's no instruction/manual suppliment for the new software versions and their features on the download page. As the units didn’t ship with any user memory card functions, it’s no wonder users are confused as to what these new menus do.

Many devices have menus that access and allow users to interact with stored memory and memory card functions without being hooked up to a PC. You won't find any digital camera or PDA's locking up because you enter a memory card function. Heck you can use most digital cameras without even having a memory card in the camera, who would ever do that, that's crazy, and yet they thought of it and programmed their device correctly to handle it.

Garmin is still trying to figure out how to properly implement a memory card system in a gps unit and that isn’t the customers fault. It's poor implementation on their part to not allow for termination of that screen without a power cycle. Not as unforgivable as their inability to recover a gps signal once lost, but along the same lines. Nothing you do with a properly programmed product short of something silly in test mode, which the customer should never using in the first place under any reason aside guided tech instruction, should require a power cycle to fix.

Look at it this way, if you pressed play on your VCRor DVD player without a tape in it, would you expect to have to drag out your entertainment center and unplug and replug in the unit it before you could use it again? Yet why would anyone ever press play without a tape in there... If they can figure that out on a $75 vcr a $500 gps unit should be able to handle it. If you try and access your cdrom in your computer without a disc in it do you have to reboot it? I bet not. If you try to format that same non-existent disc in said drive do you have to reboot? I bet not. If you try and dial up a connection without your modem being plugged into the phone line do you have to reboot? Nope. Things are programmed against user error all the time, it’s the rule not the exception

Of course, it's not in the manual, the feature was just added in a beta version last week. Hopefully users that accidentally upgrade to a beta version and are confused by the sudden appearance of change will be easily consoled.

This thread was about 2.70 and that feature doesn't even exist there. Yes, that should totally be reported to their beta address. I doubt they'll defend that locking up the unit is it's designed. That's what betas are for. I don't get the chop-busting here.

As for WAAS, I'm increasingly convinced there's a reason that Garmin's default setting for WAAS is "OFF". Oddly, it's the exact same reason that Magellan's default is not only "ON", they make you jump through hoops to find "OFF".

Hint: it has to do with the most stable, useful, supportable, and best tested state for each device...

Is it just me or do the Custom POI's not show their names when you put the cursor/pointer over them?

I have reloaded my custom poi's 4 times. Tweaked GSAK so I have them coded with distintive names and I have created some custom icons so I can tell them apart, but the names do not show up on the screen. What am I doing wrong? (or is it a bug?)

I am using 2.71... on a 76CSX

Is it just me or do the Custom POI's not show their names when you put the cursor/pointer over them?

True. The only way for it to display the name on the map is if you show it on the map from the POI page.

Oz, what model do you have? The hover over works on my CSx just by browsing the map-- but it hasn't worked for many people on the boards. I'm trying to find the discrepancy.

Here are screen shots of the popups when I'm browsing the map.

Edited by Cache Heads

True. The only way for it to display the name on the map is if you show it on the map from the POI page.

Oz, what model do you have? The hover over works on my CSx just by browsing the map-- but it hasn't worked for many people on the boards. I'm trying to find the discrepancy.

Are you browsing the main map page or are you in the Find Custom POI page? I can see the one Custom POI name in the find screen map, but I can not browse my regular map and see things pop up. Perhaps it is because of the way I have GSAK set-up to create the poi.gsx file. What settings do you use?

Are you browsing the main map page or are you in the Find Custom POI page? I can see the one Custom POI name in the find screen map, but I can not browse my regular map and see things pop up. Perhaps it is because of the way I have GSAK set-up to create the poi.gsx file. What settings do you use?

I am browsing the map straight from the map page-- not from the "map" button on the POI page. I set up my .gpx files like this, but I don't think that's it. Do you have a 60CSx?

Which firmware are you using?

It worked with v2.70 and now with v2.71... I'm also using SW 2.5, but it worked with v2.70/SW 2.4

It's so weird... it works just fine for me-- all I have to do is zoom to 300 ft (with detail settings set to "normal") and pan until I find a POI. I hover over the icon and get the popup like I show in the screengrabs. Do you have a CSx, or a Cx?

WAAS on the East coast is pretty much useless NOW ... because they are moving the WAAS sats around. When you enable WAAS the unit needs to look at a clear sky for around 30 minutes to load the new almanac (coarse sat position chart to help your unit find sats quicker by knowing approximatly where they should be).... it is not instantaneous. WAAS will not work properly if you have battery save mode enabled.

Just enable WAAS and take what you get for now .... it will get better in the future. I see no significant change in battery consumption with it enabled .... and I use NIMH rechargeables anyway.

Somehow I am kind of glad I did not run out and buy a new x series!!! :( ImpalaBob with a Map 60C.

I have a Cx, how many POIs are loaded? I think I'll just try a small file and see if it changes.

Hmmm... it may be a discrepancy between models. I think it works on the 60CSx but not on some of the other units. That's the only common denominator that I can find as of yet :(

Does this work for anyone else?

BTW - I'm loading between 500 and 600 POIs in each .gpx file.

Edited by Cache Heads

I am browsing the map straight from the map page-- not from the "map" button on the POI page. I set up my .gpx files like this, but I don't think that's it. Do you have a 60CSx?

I have a 76CSX and am using beta firmware 2.71

poi2.jpg

shows the benchmark icon

poi.jpg

shows the cursor with no name of the POI

Edited by dhbaird

Hmmm... it may be a discrepancy between models. I think it works on the 60CSx but not on some of the other units. That's the only common denominator that I can find as of yet :(

Not me (60CSx, 2.71, using GPX file created from Mapsource, after loading GPX file from GSAK, CS NA).

If I move my cursor over the POI and press enter, I only get the address of the POI based on the underlying street address and not the name of the POI itself.

GeoBC

Not me (60CSx, 2.71, using GPX file created from Mapsource, after loading GPX file from GSAK, CS NA).

If I move my cursor over the POI and press enter, I only get the address of the POI based on the underlying street address and not the name of the POI itself.

GeoBC

I've noticed some differences depending on how you create the GPX file for the POI load. GSAK to Mapsource format -- then creating the GPX file from mapsource seems to produce slightly different behaviour although I haven't tested all the combinations.

Gsak --> GPX

Gsak GPX --> Mapsource --> GPX

Gsak MApsource Format --> GPX

I'd be interested in a controlled test (I've not had time)

I have a new 60CX and have been reading about all this WAAS business. I've located Sat 33 and had it lock on causing D's to appear on the other bars. My question is now what?? Should I see the distance on the Sat page start to get smaller because I haven't. Does it have to stay locked on that bird longer to update the Almanac and if so how do I know that's taken place??? With all this repositioning going on is it too soon for this to take place??? Just trying to learn from the SME's Thanks

I'm normally in the midwest (minneapolis, mn), so all I usually see for WAAS is 35 and is hollow, with no 'D's anywhere. I'm in San Francisco for a conference this week, and my waas is working normal now. The first thing it saw was sat 47. Once it downloaded the almanac from it, I got a solid bar and 'D's on the sat bars. Later, it saw 35 in the SW, and again it went from a hollow bar to solid, and I got 'D's again. In some thread (I can't remember which), someone speculated that 35 would show up solid in the SW if the gps saw the one WAAS sattelite that seems to work (47). I can confirm that, because back home 35 shows up in the SE and hollow bar.

Occaisonally sat 47 and 35 show up with hollow bars, but they show up in the correct location. They then turn into solid bars after a bit.

Anyway, just an observation.

Also, if you are ever in the San Francisco area, a fun cache is GCNFJX, which is a fun multi cache based on the maltese falcon.

I'm normally in the midwest (minneapolis, mn), so all I usually see for WAAS is 35 and is hollow, with no 'D's anywhere. I'm in San Francisco for a conference this week, and my waas is working normal now. The first thing it saw was sat 47. Once it downloaded the almanac from it, I got a solid bar and 'D's on the sat bars. Later, it saw 35 in the SW, and again it went from a hollow bar to solid, and I got 'D's again. In some thread (I can't remember which), someone speculated that 35 would show up solid in the SW if the gps saw the one WAAS sattelite that seems to work (47). I can confirm that, because back home 35 shows up in the SE and hollow bar.

Occaisonally sat 47 and 35 show up with hollow bars, but they show up in the correct location. They then turn into solid bars after a bit.

Anyway, just an observation.

Also, if you are ever in the San Francisco area, a fun cache is GCNFJX, which is a fun multi cache based on the maltese falcon.

So if I understand you correctly, once I see D's the almanac has been updated and it doesn't matter if you then lose the WASS sat signal and D's the data in the updated almanac info is still there. Should I see an improvement in the +/- Ft reading on the Sat screen. Is that was the WASS information will provide?? I have to say that I've gotten the D's but did not see any improvement in the distance.

I have a new 60CX and have been reading about all this WAAS business. I've located Sat 33 and had it lock on causing D's to appear on the other bars. My question is now what?? Should I see the distance on the Sat page start to get smaller because I haven't. Does it have to stay locked on that bird longer to update the Almanac and if so how do I know that's taken place??? With all this repositioning going on is it too soon for this to take place??? Just trying to learn from the SME's Thanks

Unfortunately, 33 won't do you too much good because it's correcting for Europe, and even then it's a bit erratic about which part of the corrections are turned on. If you manage to get 35 or it will let you get 48 or 51(unhealthy at the moment), after 10 minutes of continuous tracking, you'll have all the corrections for the time being. A D mean you have at least part of the corrections for that satellite. If you stop tracking it, the D's will go away after the corrections time out.

At the moment, the 60/76 Csx models will NOT try and lock on 35 unless they have almanac data from 47 first. What happens is it sees 35 in the search and drops it without trying to lock. They never try to find 48 or 51 (maybe because of the test signal message).

It worked with v2.70 and now with v2.71... I'm also using SW 2.5, but it worked with v2.70/SW 2.4

What is SW 2.5 SW 2.4? Is that something different than the firmware? If so, how do you change it and where do you get it? What is the difference?

Thanks

Here is the respond from Garmin to my email:

Thank you for contacting Garmin

I'll be glad to help. I understand that there is a lot of concern about WAAS

and the X models. Reception seems to be spotty depending on location. I do

not have an exact answer to what the issue is, but my understanding is that

it will be corrected when possible with firmware updates.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email or contact our

800 number listed below.

Best Regards,

Brock Ainsworth

Product Support Specialist

Garmin International

1200 E 151st Street

Olathe, KS 66062

www.garmin.com

1-800-800-1020

techsupp@garmin.com