Help With 60csx

:lol: Ok if this is a stupid question im sorry but just got my csx60 and on the gps 60 i used before of a buddies it gave me small "b" in the gps signl strengh bars? My csx doesnt do this how do i know if im getting any WAAS?? plus the highest number on the Sat I get is #27 I am in western Texas (Big Spring) am i expecting too much or do I have a problem? I have updated to 2.7 and have Waas enabled not in battery saver mode.

It does show the d's and you should be able to pick up the same WAAS sats as you do on your quest.

My first thought would be to make sure that you are running both Firmware 2.70 and gps software version 2.50.. You can find more info about this update here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=132173

However it is fairly straight forward, using the webupdater go through it once and update to Firmware version 2.70 (if your not already). Then run the webupdater again and it will allow you to update the gps software version.

Once you have done this reboot your gps and go out to a clear spot and see what you get...

If you still don't get any WAAS birds, I personally would do a master reset. Hold ENTR and PAGE while powering up to master reset the unit. Then make sure that WAAS is once again enabled and try again.

Good Luck.

kgag.

Edited by kgag

:( Ok if this is a stupid question im sorry but just got my csx60 and on the gps 60 i used before of a buddies it gave me small "b" in the gps signl strengh bars? My csx doesnt do this how do i know if im getting any WAAS?? plus the highest number on the Sat I get is #27 I am in western Texas (Big Spring) am i expecting too much or do I have a problem? I have updated to 2.7 and have Waas enabled not in battery saver mode.

I have a 60cx and live in Galveston, Texas. I have not been able to get any D's even after the software updates. #35 just winks on and off for 5-15 secs and disappears and no other WAAS birds appear in this area. I think this is also true for some other cx/cxs users in the Houston area. There has been some speculation on this forum that you have to be able to pick up some other WAAS birds to be able to get a valid almanac.

I would be interested in knowing whether or not the master reset makes any difference for you. Good luck.

It is discussed in other threads. You won't get WAAS in Texas at the moment with a 60Cx. For whatever reason they will not try to lock on "35" until after they have loaded the almanc from a normal WAAS satellite. I guess that this is because it is in test mode. If you are in an area that can pick up the normal WAAS satellites like "33" or "47" and hold it for the almanac to load, then the units will lock on "35" and you can maintain WAAS easily until it is shut off.

It is discussed in other threads. You won't get WAAS in Texas at the moment with a 60Cx. For whatever reason they will not try to lock on "35" until after they have loaded the almanc from a normal WAAS satellite. I guess that this is because it is in test mode. If you are in an area that can pick up the normal WAAS satellites like "33" or "47" and hold it for the almanac to load, then the units will lock on "35" and you can maintain WAAS easily until it is shut off.

so my legend and quest 2 will get them but my 60csx wont?? ok seems weird but i will take your word for it and wait it out.

There is no indication the almanac has loaded other than that 35 will lock. It takes 5 minutes or so.

Yes, the units with "Garmin" receivers can hold the moved and new WAAS satellites OK. The units with the Sirf receivers have the problem. It is something strange in the programming of the Sirf chipset.

There is no indication the almanac has loaded other than that 35 will lock. It takes 5 minutes or so.

Yes, the units with "Garmin" receivers can hold the moved and new WAAS satellites OK. The units with the Sirf receivers have the problem. It is something strange in the programming of the Sirf chipset.

Thanks for your fast response!

Two follow up questions:

1. If #33 locks, can I consider that it loaded?

2. Once it locks on #33, do I shut down the unit or do I have to let it cook for 30 mins after the lock?

No it takes a little while after the lock. Give it 10 minutes. Then move around and see if 35 will lock.

When you shut it down, it forgets it all and you have to start from scratch.

This is my 60Cx from inside my office.

wass60cx.jpg

Edited by Red90

No it takes a little while after the lock. Give it 10 minutes. Then move around and see if 35 will lock.

When you shut it down, it forgets it all and you have to start from scratch.

This is my 60Cx from inside my office.

wass60cx.jpg

Last question b4 I head out to try it.... How do I verify that #35 is visible from San Juan, PR?

Go to this link: and click on the map at your location to see if it is visible. I believe it should be.

Ok. It shows that #35 should be visible. I went outside to two locations (one huge open space and then to the top of my building). I performed a master reset on the unit and it started to locate the sats.

It found #33 and locked into it. Gave me "D" s under most of the birds. After that, it did not look for #35.

However, I restarted the process several times (turning off the unit and then back on) and got intermitent finds for #35. However, none of those resulted in a lock.

If I got the "d"s from locking to #33, did I load the Almanac? Is #33 the same as #35 for WAAS purposes?

No find 33, then leave the unit in one location and on for 15 minutes. THEN without turning it off move somewhere that 33 is lost, and it should switch to 35. Give it a shot.

trying it now @ the roof.

Be back in 30 mins.

Ok. I did a master reset and started again. Got #33 and waited for Ds under all the sats. moved away from #33 and got a lock (a short lived lock) on #35 and got Ds under other sats then also.

The problem is that they are both coming from the East and the signal from #33 is much stronger than #35. So it goes back to #33 as soon as it can.

But your recommendation worked! Thanks!