License Plate Store Item

Back in the 60's and 70's my family had Volkswagon buses and they were such a rare item that anytime you saw one coming toward you, everybody sat up and waved. It was like meeting a long lost relative even though you didn't know those people from Adam & Eve.

I know about half the states have required front license plates, and maybe that could be addressed somehow as well, but if I saw another front license plate sporting the geocaching logo coming at me, you can be sure I'd give a wave.

I see that there are license plate frames for sale, but let's look at the numbers. I may pass hundreds of vehicles head on while I'm stuck behind one vehicle. And if I follow the safe following distance rules, other geocachers would surely see my geocache logo.

I don't have one, but by God I can make one, and I'm not trying to make any money off of this, but I probably should. The point is, I could say, "Hey!" to a fellow geocacher, if only for a fleeting moment.

--Joe

It would be illegal in some states. For example, in Ohio it is illegal to have any sort of frame on the license plate other than a couple of officially approved types for vehicles on public roadways.

That being said, many thousands of motorists violate it daily with seeming impunity. :lol:

OK. So until a front license plate becomes available, or I get around to making my own, whichever comes first, I'm going to get a 3 X 3 vinyl sticker and place it in the upper corner of my windshield on the driver's side. I agree that the geocaching.com cling strip is too big for my tastes. Perhaps if I were much younger that would fly, but I'm not and it doesn't.

This location will be out of the driver's field of vision, will not interfere with my inspection sticker, will comply with Federal regulations, will be visible to oncoming traffic (though I probably will have passed before it dawns on you that that's what it was), will identify me as a supporter of the sport not just the web site, ad nauseum.

I invite others to adopt this location as well. If you see me... wave!

--Joe :(

I have a license plate frame and GPS oval sticker on the back of my cachemobile, a window cling on the side window (for when people pass me as I am slowing down to check the GPS), and a Signal the Frog antenna ball.

Plus I have an extreme mess in the back of the cachemobile. During a recent search, I was uncovering papers from summer 2004 caching trips.

I think that my vehicle is sufficiently labeled as a cachemobile. :(

That's very interesting that in Ohio you are limited on license frames. No one EVER tells us anything! I have a back license frame from my son's school and a front one declaring me an alumni of OU. I wsa thinking of switching out the back for a geo frame, except the way my truck bumper is configured, all you will see is the top part of the frame, "You are the search engine." Which means I will spend a lot of time explaining that. I am always having to explain my personalized license plate as it is.

Technically. license plate frames are illegal in New Jersey as well. 'Anything that obscures' the license plate. I have a friend who got a ticket for it. I would guess that the cop stopped her, but couldn't come up with any other reason to give her a ticket. Her frame did not obscure any of the writing on the plate (many do). Yes, new car dealers continue to give out the frames. Oh, well.

I have a license plate frame and GPS oval sticker on the back of my cachemobile, a window cling on the side window (for when people pass me as I am slowing down to check the GPS), and a Signal the Frog antenna ball.

Plus I have an extreme mess in the back of the cachemobile. During a recent search, I was uncovering papers from summer 2004 caching trips.

I think that my vehicle is sufficiently labeled as a cachemobile. :unsure:

Well, I don't have the license plate frame or the window clings, but I do have the Signal antenna ball and the extreme mess in the back of the cachemobile. If you say you have a dirty Durango, I'd say you're my long lost twin!

I have the geocaching.com plate frame on my car. Not long ago I sat at a long stoplight and happened to glance back in the rear view mirror. I saw a couple chatting away, the wife <?> pointing to my plate. They both started waving and doing the thumbs up routine. Guessing they were cachers too, since that's the only thing on the back of my car, I waved back just before the light turned green.

I'd like to use the cling-ons as well, but I'm not sure how well they would show with the darkened windows.

I have the geocaching.com plate frame on my car. Not long ago I sat at a long stoplight and happened to glance back in the rear view mirror. I saw a couple chatting away, the wife <?> pointing to my plate. They both started waving and doing the thumbs up routine. Guessing they were cachers too, since that's the only thing on the back of my car, I waved back just before the light turned green.

I'd like to use the cling-ons as well, but I'm not sure how well they would show with the darkened windows.

I think one of these would work well on tinted windows.

Back in the 60's and 70's my family had Volkswagon buses and they were such a rare item that anytime you saw one coming toward you, everybody sat up and waved. It was like meeting a long lost relative even though you didn't know those people from Adam & Eve.

We had one like this

67bus1.JPG

And then like this

77-bay-microbus-beige.jpg

But both bright red. It was a freaking embarrassment to us kids. Pretty easy to spot this dorky looking ‘microbus’ especially when no one else within 100 miles had one.

I couldn't talk my dad into getting a muscle car.

We have one of those on each car. It's very visible on the one with clear windows, but hardly visible at all on the one with tinted windows. You have to really be looking for it in order to see it (which is actually how we like it).

We have one of those on each car. It's very visible on the one with clear windows, but hardly visible at all on the one with tinted windows. You have to really be looking for it in order to see it (which is actually how we like it).

I have one of the window clings on the back window of my truck. Since it's not a tinted window, it shows up just fine. The one I linked to is the vinyl one that I thought should be applied to the outside of the window.

About a week before I moved from california to arizona I just did a trade with a visiting cacher in down town san diego. i was on my way back home sitting at a stop light and looking at the gps seeing if there were any caches around. a cop was behind me and the light turned green i was still looking at the gps screen, he honked at me, and when i turned he lit me up.

he said i know you were lookig at something else, but I noticed you have a cover over your license plate (was just a clear cover) he wrote me a fix-it ticket for it and told me they were illegal because they can obstruct the view of the plate. So I removed it from the plate and had to hunt down a cop to sign off the ticket and mail it in. it was something like a $15 ticket. the cop i found to sign it off wasnt surprised at the ticket, he was surprised at the code the guy wrote it up under, he was like. well thats interesting, i usually write them up under this code...

but anyways.

Now i dont think a regular plate frame is an issue, unless it covers the plate at all, and I have seen some that do.

In California they do require front plates, here in Arizona they don't, the MVD usually issues only 1 plate, but they do issue 2 plates for some specialty plates.

I have one of the window clings on the back window of my truck. Since it's not a tinted window, it shows up just fine. The one I linked to is the vinyl one that I thought should be applied to the outside of the window.

Yes, the one you linked to is brand new and just added to Shop Groundspeak last week. It is meant to go on the outside of a window and works very well (that's my car window in the photo). :laughing:

77-bay-microbus-beige.jpg

But both bright red. It was a freaking embarrassment to us kids. Pretty easy to spot this dorky looking ‘microbus’ especially when no one else within 100 miles had one.

I couldn't talk my dad into getting a muscle car.

Ha Ha--we had a '69 that looks just like this when I was a teenager--baby blue, though. It was what I learned to drive a standard with. These are great in the snow, but you'd better dress darned warm in the winter as the temperature up front is pretty much the same as the outside temperature.

They are also interesting on the Interstate in heavy cross winds--you can swap lanes unintentionlly if you are not careful--you have to anticipate and countersteer--almost like tacking a sailboat into the wind.