Archived Cache Need Maintenance

Glenn

Just curious as to why when a cache is listed as archived the NEEDS ARCHIVED and NEEDS MAINTENACE log options are no longer available but the FOUND IT log option is still available.

Since it is an acceptable practice for caches listed as archived to be logged as found shouldn't cachers expect that owner also continues maintain their physical cache as long as it remains in place? Or is it generally accepted that once the listing is archived the owner is no longer responsible for the physical maintenance of their archived, yet still in place, cache.

Good point, but that doesn't negate the fact some folks are back logged on their finds or like Lep's scenario where teams split up their finds into individual finds.

There is no alternative motive for this thread. If I wanted to talk about not locking certain log types currently allowed on archived caches I would have stated that in the first post of this thread, or started another thread on that topic, or (as I am doing now) joined in on one of the other many threads already talking about. I don't intend this thread to be about keeping people from making late found it logs on archived caches.

I'm simply currious why NEEDS MAINTENANCE logs are not allowed on archived caches. Especially since it seems to be an accepted practice to hunt and make found logs on some archived caches. My only conclusion, and I hope I'm wrong, is that when a cache is listed as archived the owner(s) feels that they are no longer responsible for the cache that they have intentionally left behind.

I'm simply currious why NEEDS MAINTENANCE logs are not allowed on archived caches. Especially since it seems to be an accepted practice to hunt and make found logs on some archived caches. My only conclusion, and I hope I'm wrong, is that when a cache is listed as archived the owner(s) feels that they are no longer responsible for the cache that they have intentionally left behind.

I hadn't noticed you could log certain types of logs after a cache was archived, but since you bring it up. Did the cache owners say 'needs maintenance' logs should not be allowed on caches that were archived? :D

I'm simply currious why NEEDS MAINTENANCE logs are not allowed on archived caches.

Maybe it's because the cache is no longer "in play" here.

Post-logging is a valid reason to keep that log-type as mentioned above. I'm sure if it wasn't, it wouldn't be allowed either.

I hadn't noticed you could log certain types of logs after a cache was archived, but since you bring it up. Did the cache owners say 'needs maintenance' logs should not be allowed on caches that were archived? :D

If archived cache listings can have found it logs why can't they have needs maintenance logs too?

I'm simply currious why NEEDS MAINTENANCE logs are not allowed on archived caches.

Post-logging is a valid reason to keep that log-type as mentioned above. I'm sure if it wasn't, it wouldn't be allowed either.

If an owner is allowing found it logs dated after the archive date is the cache really no longer in play?

If archived cache listings can have found it logs why can't they have needs maintenance logs too?

My assumption would be that TPTB figure if the cache is archived, its no longer there and nothing can need fixed or replace. But really that's for question for Jeremy et al., Not the cache owners who didn't get a vote on what logs are allowed and when.

If an owner is allowing found it logs dated after the archive date is the cache really no longer in play?

A cache owners sole discresionary ability with cache logs is to delete them. This site doesn't create a log approval queue, though that would be an interesting twist.

What if they are no longer geocaching? No longer have a valid email address on file?

The same thing can be happen to active, non-archived, caches. So why not allow needs maintenance log entries on archived cache listings.

I hadn't noticed you could log certain types of logs after a cache was archived, but since you bring it up. Did the cache owners say 'needs maintenance' logs should not be allowed on caches that were archived? :lol:

My assumption would be that TPTB figure if the cache is archived, its no longer there and nothing can need fixed or replace. But really that's for question for Jeremy et al., Not the cache owners who didn't get a vote on what logs are allowed and when.

That was my assumption at first. Then I realized that new (not just backlogging from before the cache was archived) found it logs can be made on archived caches listing. New found it logs that are made and also dated after the cache listing was archived can be made.

I understand that Groundspeak isn't a democracy but that doesn't mean that we should talk about things. Conversation is good especially when it brings about understanding. Which is why I think is one of the reason Groundspeak started these fourms and why I started this thread.

An an owner I'm responsible for retrieving my cache when I can fit it into my schedule. Nothing more. As a seeker you are taking your chances to even try to find it. If you don't like the cache condition I guess you could post an SBA log but really, what's the point?

Thats fine but if cachers are logging finds on your archived cache listings why shouldn't there also be an option to make needs maintenance logs or as you pointed out even the option to make a needs archived log on archived cache listings.

A cache owners sole discresionary ability with cache logs is to delete them. This site doesn't create a log approval queue, though that would be an interesting twist.

What?! Forcing a cache owner to not only maintain the physical cache but to take an active roll in maintaining the listing as well. That is un-American and just plain evil. :lol: