Geocaching Apparel Choices

We certainly do not top the geocaching world rankings list...heck we don't even have 200 finds yet. My family and I do however really enjoy geocaching. Recently I went to find some geo apparel to purchase. I was surprised as to my given choices. Maybe I'm missing something!?! I really started to dig in and came up empty. I was able to find a number of Groundspeak approved websites that showed some choices that were ~ unfortunately discontinued. I have put together a visual for you to see to demonstrate my point. I do not expect everyone to agree with me here, I just wanted to express my opinion.

See the link below for this visual description of the above post.

http://home.nc.rr.com/henzlik/Geogear.htm

I agree, I'd like something more colorful, fashionable, girly---but wearable and durable for the woods. LOL---I don't ask much, right? Maybe something in soft pink or light blue that says "Geo-Diva"? Especially a hat. Now that we are moving into tick season, I'd really like a cute hat.

I was happy to see that the store offered a technical fabric shirt (one that wicks when you sweat) this past season. I bought one for myself and two for gifts...just wish that it came in something other than white, or offered a choice of design.

As a runner, I know that companies, such as Brooks, are competitive insofar as fashion and function. It IS possible to make tech gear for women that works with our bodies but is stylish at the same time.

Agreed - the Items at the Groundspeak store are limited....

SO...

Shop elsewhere - try www.cafepress.com and enter "geocaching" as a search term.

The list is over 7,740 items long!

-Happy shopping

I have perused this site and they do have the largest selection, bar none. I just found the majority of their designs to be area specific or with some kind of a home made design. I guess I was looking for actual geocaching goods with the one logo everyone knows.

geo_grand_colo.JPG

Funny......I see one can buy a bib, boxer shorts, teddy bear, clock, throw pillow, coaster, infant creeper, and a mug, but no apparel like a T-shirt, sweatshirt or a cap. It just seems strange.

Edited by Team Henzlik

I do agree. What were they thinking?

If they still have the patches just put them on your hat or shirt.

You can buy paper for your ink jet printer that is iron on material. Print the logo and iron it on what you want to. I think it is fair use as long as you don't sell it. I am not a lawyer do at your own risk etc...

I do agree. What were they thinking?

If they still have the patches just put them on your hat or shirt.

I have had that same thought. I just wanted to see how many other people agreed that there was a void here. My intent is to only help Groundspeak drive incremental business. They do such a great job with everything else!

Ive been thinking of starting a line of geocaching flags. i came to this idea as an idea for swag in a planned cache that i have for a 4 foot long pvc tube cache. in order to bring the cost way down, i need to have like 30+ made. would anyone be interested in buying one?

I used to design for several local screen printers and at one time was considering starting a new line of designs for geocaching.com.

I contacted Groundspeak, Geocaching.com, and Sunrise Identitiy all, inquiring about how to get license rights and how much I would need to pay to be able to do such a venture.

:lol: Never got a response from any of them. :D

Now I work for a local sign company and have decided to start a website selling "Decals and Vehicle Graphics with Cachers in Mind".

I'm working on developing non-geocaching.com designs at this point while still making them desireable to cachers. (Also designing for hikers, camping, & cycling)

:lol: Hopefully, I'll go active in about a month! :lol:

I've just this weekend put in another inquiry about getting license rights to the geocaching.com logo because I want to offer custom designed decals for groups and associations. Since a few of them have the geocaching.com logo as part of their logo, then I know I will need permission to be able to make them for my customers.

Sorry to pull this off in a different direction, but it's still basically the same issue.

Lack of variety and choice of the products offered in the Groundspeak store and where to get stuff.

D-man :lol:

I'd like to see a soft shell jacket or waterproof windbreaker with the GS logo. Anyone see anything like this anywhere yet?

This would be something we would like as well...a waterproof windbreaker. Maybe one that folded up into a pouch allowing it to fit in your backpack.

From the few times I've been around the cafepress items, they aren't the best for quality. Some of the base items, a random Hanes tee were ok, but the images left something to be desired. Its just a quick and easy way to have images added to thier stock items.

I commented on a previous thread, that "Clay-dyed" shirts would be an excellent match for Geocaching. The colors are rich and beautiful, yet subtle and natural.

Here is a link to a website that shows a good variety of the colors that can be done using clay.

clay-dyed shirts

I'm not sponsoring any particular company, I just thought that this particular website showed a good selection of options on one page, without having to surf through a site to see what's avaliable. :( You could also google "Clay-dyed shirts" and browse through the many sites.

If Groundspeak could offer any of their logos on these types of shirts, I'm sure there would be a market.

I commented on a previous thread, that "Clay-dyed" shirts would be an excellent match for Geocaching. The colors are rich and beautiful, yet subtle and natural.

If you look at what Groundspeak is currently offering, they are not too far off of your suggestion here. While they may not be "Clay-dyed", they do have somewhat of an earthy flavor using colors like navy, ash, brown, texas orange, black, and olive. My point was to offer non earthy colors for the geocachers who prefer a more vibrant color choice.

i've also looked at the Groundspeak shop to see what's available and have been pretty consistently disappointed with their newer items.

i never have been able to figure out why they discontinued the nice orange cap. it was nice for visibility while tromping around in the woods and it was the first cap to go...

Hmmm.

I was looking in the Groundspeak shop just yesterday. I am looking for a good quality TShirt and cap with the GC color logo.

There seems to be some demand for this stuff.

I also saw the "discontinued" products on another site and wondered if there was a licensing issue going on behind the scenes, but then again, I can still buy GC stickers, pins and magnets with no problem.

Seems strange.

Edited by markp99

White cap at Target: $2.69.

'Full-color' patch from Groundspeak: $2.99

Shipping to my address from Groundspeak: $6.36!!!!!

More than double the price of the patch I want to order, which could be sent for 39 cents in a regular mailing envelope.

I think I will pass!

Here is another option, shipping is a lot less.

http://www.greatplainsgeocachestore.com/

They also carry microcaches and a few other neat things.

They do accept PayPal, but you can't pay them directly with a credit card.

I have never done business with them, this is not an endorsement of them, this is just an option I have found.

Edited by Red_Devil35

Warning - slightly off-topic response:

I agree about the windbreakers, hats, etc. but has anyone ever considered air fresheners for your car? You know, the kind that hang from your mirror? It would also be a great way to let others know you were caching in the area. I guess it might cause some scrambling if there's an FTF in the area though.

has anyone ever considered air fresheners for your car? You know, the kind that hang from your mirror? It would also be a great way to let others know you were caching in the area. I guess it might cause some scrambling if there's an FTF in the area though.

Excellent idea! Sell 'em in 3-packs...man, that would be a hot item!

Warning - slightly off-topic response:

I agree about the windbreakers, hats, etc. but has anyone ever considered air fresheners for your car? You know, the kind that hang from your mirror? It would also be a great way to let others know you were caching in the area. I guess it might cause some scrambling if there's an FTF in the area though.

Not a bad idea!

Just in case Sunrise ID is reading this thread:

Fleece vest

More colors in tees, polos, & shirts - purple, med or dark green, teal, royal blue, red...

Tank tops (not the "wife beater" type, classier like Land's End type)

Visor

Dog collar/leash

I want the traditional logo back on the white tshirt! Everyone else in my family that caches has that shirt--bought several years ago. I wasn't sure this was a hobby we'd keep, so I didn't buy it.

I hate the shirts that are in the store now, and won't buy them.

Bring back the traditional geocaching logo items!

sorry, I feel just fine in my jeans/shorts and a t-shirt. Don't need to be a shill for any other corporations. And cool goodies would just make me worry about taking care of the new items. I am more of a hell-bent-for-leather cacher and I don't need anymore cool things to worry about gettin dirty/scratched/broken/faded/etc... But a sticker for my geo-mobile might be nice - just so those that know could spot me out hunting. :laughing:

I am right there with you all. I placed an order with Groundspeak 2 days ago (fathers day) I did end up ordering a simple navy shirt, but really wanted somthing better.

I sent them a seperate email (because I saw on something that it was being offered due to a specific request) asking for a car magnet, they have car stickers and clingies but with tinted windows I need something on the outside. They did read my email but did not respond.

Has anyone seen anything geocache related at sporting good stores or Army/Navy stores....??

I sent them a seperate email (because I saw on something that it was being offered due to a specific request) asking for a car magnet, they have car stickers and clingies but with tinted windows I need something on the outside. They did read my email but did not respond.

They have window decals that go on the outside. They look just like the interior cling-type ones, but these ones are decals meant for the outside of the car. See this post (and the link within it).

Funny - I am actually still looking for a vest that has lots and lots of pockets.

I hate carrying bags around - but wish I could carry more. Cargo pants help, but a vest with lots and lots of pockets - that would be nice.

If it had a *small* logo on it I would more than likely purchase it.

ThoughtToSelf

I wonder if anybody will change the product line based upon the wishes made by potential customers?

ThoughtToSelf

Every time I've looked for stuff I've been annoyed that there is never a pocket tee available. I don't buy t-shirts without a pocket for my glasses. I don't wear them when hiking/walking but do wear them for checking coordinates, signing/reading logs, etc. I NEED a pocket. I've heard the standard, "oh glasses will just fall out when you bend over so pockets don't work" line. HAH! The shirts I wear have pockets and I don't have much trouble. Yes, I have had my glasses fall out a few times when I bent over. Big deal. It's my problem to be aware of that. I still need the dang pocket!

I'd also like one of the old tan colored ball caps with the logo. Guess they don't carry those anymore. :P

QUOTE(Faith the Aquariaqueen @ Jun 8 2006, 10:04 PM)

Yep, I was shocked...wanted to buy a tshirt and a hiking stick medallion for a youngster's birthday, and came up empty handed.

I was very disappointed.

they have hiking staff medallions here.

I found them today....a few days ago they were on back order.

I ordered that and two stickers, $7.00, and $6.95 to ship them!!!! And all 3 item could be put in a 5x7 envelope!!!! Grrrrrrr. :P

Edited by Faith the Aquariaqueen

I will say I find the shipping reasonable. Sure a patch can be shipped for 39 cents but that is not the whole cost. They have overhead like printers to print the labels, computers to track the orders, packaging to ship in, people who have to pick the order, etc... If they sold them for $3.39 shipped it would not be worth even selling them.

Unlike many companies they don't charge more if you spend more money. I think that is very fair of them. Be smart and buy several extra patches for future use or to use as trade items.

And yes I still think the color logos are best. I also vote for some high end quality stuff. I don't own a Tilly hat for nothing. I like "Guide Series" stuff from Gander Mountain. Columbia sportswear stuff is nice too.

I am looking for "goodies" that have Signal on them. I just love that guy. He makes me smile. So I've been searching for shirts, etc. I have found nothing.

Anyone else want items with Signal on them? Yes, I know there is an antenna ball and stuffed Signal. But I want a shirt, hat or something like that.

Sharnie :)

I am looking for "goodies" that have Signal on them. I just love that guy. He makes me smile. So I've been searching for shirts, etc. I have found nothing.

Anyone else want items with Signal on them? Yes, I know there is an antenna ball and stuffed Signal. But I want a shirt, hat or something like that.

Sharnie :)

ooo! a green hat with a yellow antenna like the one on the stuffed signal would be fun. :D

Sharnie :laughing:

ooo! a green hat with a yellow antenna like the one on the stuffed signal would be fun. :laughing:

I would go for a green hat with :laughing: on it, but I am not ready to commit to wearing an antenna just yet...

Edited by TEAM 360

Sharnie :D

ooo! a green hat with a yellow antenna like the one on the stuffed signal would be fun. :D

I would go for a green hat with :D on it, but I am not ready to commit to wearing an antenna just yet...

Bump

Sharnie :D

With eyes on the front? Sounds like a winning design.