Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2tents

Equipment Shopping

I've spent enough time as a by-stander and am ready to start caching. After shopping for a hand held GPS unit I'm finding I have a hang-up with equipment. I can see myself getting out of the car thinking ' remember the cell phone, the PDA, and the GPS... don't forget the water, the leashes, and this and that the bug spray, OH and the binocs!!!"

So I thought I'd be able to simplify. Has anyone ever used a Palm Treo 700 with the SD expansion GPS for caching?? I'd like one gadget that does it all, but I want to be sure that the gadget I get does all the jobs I hire it for. Any suggestions as to service plans and equipment are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2tents

Just remember, you'll be out in the wilds, so, anything you use, you want designed to get wet, dirty, dropped, etc. Hence, most people use a regular GPS, and, for paperless, usually bring an inexpensive PDA.

I use my iqueue 3600 for paperless caching,and only use it in GPS mode to drive to the cache. Once parked, it goes into softcase, in a ziplock bag, buried in my backpack. I pull it out to look at the cache info, and DONT use it to seek the cache itself. Besides, living in new england, its usually too deep in the woods for it to work effectively anyway. But, it does great getting me to a parking lot.

I've spent enough time as a by-stander and am ready to start caching. After shopping for a hand held GPS unit I'm finding I have a hang-up with equipment. I can see myself getting out of the car thinking ' remember the cell phone, the PDA, and the GPS... don't forget the water, the leashes, and this and that the bug spray, OH and the binocs!!!"

So I thought I'd be able to simplify. Has anyone ever used a Palm Treo 700 with the SD expansion GPS for caching?? I'd like one gadget that does it all, but I want to be sure that the gadget I get does all the jobs I hire it for. Any suggestions as to service plans and equipment are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2tents

I am using a Palm Tungsten T5 and a bluetooth GPSr and GeoNiche software. I am pretty happy with it... though I am aware of the criticism about the durability of the equipment. I am torn between the convenience of the totally paperless caching and the durability of the equipment. For the moment, I am using it, and it works dandy. There are definitely some things that could be better about it, but for features and functions, I am very happy with it.

Wigi

Another thing you need to be aware of is battery life. Since the treo 700 doesn't use "off the shelf" batteries, this may be an issue when you are on a long hike. Although phones do a decent job regarding battery life when used as phones, having a GPS nav program running full time may eat up the batteries faster than you'd expect. I know that when I am running CacheNav on my Zire 72 palm and talking to a bluetooth GPS, I will get only around 3 hours of battery life. I haven't tested my new t-mobile MDA yet to see how long its batteries would last. From what I understand, bluetooth will eat through your batteries...

This topic really should be in the "GPS Units and Software" forum, since it doesn't have anything to do with Amateur Radio... :ph34r: You'll get a much better response over there.

--Marky