How To Remove A Needs Maintnance Atribute

rogueleader1977

I put a 'needs maintnance' note on a cache that I visited. It is a multi and the coords to stage two were missing. I could not reach the owner so I asked the last two people who had found it and luckily one had the coordinates. So I replaced them. Now I need to know how to get the 'needs maintnace' atribute removed. I tried deleting my log but the atribute remained. Thanks!

True enough, but as the OP asked: How can this be accomplished by someone who is not the cache owner?

I think the local reviewer is also able to get rid of the needs maintenance attribute. But, I think currently only the owner and the reviewers can do it. E-mailing the owner (or, if no response, the reviewer) is about the most other cachers can do.

True enough, but as the OP asked: How can this be accomplished by someone who is not the cache owner?

That is not what the OP asked. The OP asked "Now I need to know how to get the 'needs maintnace' atribute removed." And I answered that, accurately.

Aparently you didn't read the topic title accurately.

Edited by Ed & Julie

If you're the one that posted the "needs maintenance" log ... I think you can go back and edit that log and change it to a "note" instead and then the maintenance attribute will go away.

We were taking care of some caches for someone while he was in the hospital when someone posted just such a log. When I asked them to change it to a "note" instead, the "needs maintenance" flag we reset.

If you're the one that posted the "needs maintenance" log ... I think you can go back and edit that log and change it to a "note" instead and then the maintenance attribute will go away.

When I try that it says "There was an action associated with this log. The log type cannot be changed.", and it will not let me change log type.

That is not what the OP asked. The OP asked "Now I need to know how to get the 'needs maintnace' atribute removed." And I answered that, accurately.

Aparently you didn't read the topic title accurately.

That's correct, I was refering to the topic title. I should have stated that more clearly in my first post.

When I try that it says "There was an action associated with this log. The log type cannot be changed.", and it will not let me change log type.

Hmmm ... what happens if you simply delete that log entry?

I bet you can't.

It's too bad that it can't be reset by another cacher.

Cacher A finds the cache with the log in a torn ziploc and reports it as needing maintenance.

Cacher B is the next finder and replaces the baggie. Cacher B should be able to reset the 'needs maintenance' flag because he corrected the problem and verified that the cache is now in good shape.

Nothing. The log entry will delete, but the attribute is unaffected.

I bet you can't.

It's too bad that it can't be reset by another cacher.

Cacher A finds the cache with the log in a torn ziploc and reports it as needing maintenance.

Cacher B is the next finder and replaces the baggie. Cacher B should be able to reset the 'needs maintenance' flag because he corrected the problem and verified that the cache is now in good shape.

I knew somewhere, some day, somehow, I'd agree 100% with Sbell111 :laughing: I dropped a "needs maintenance" log on a cache that was missing placed by a cacher who never validated their account, currently has an invalid email address, and hasn't logged in to gc.com in about 4 months. A day later (at my suggestion), a local replaced the cache, and pretty much unofficially adopted it until the placer logs in again (if ever). So I deleted the nm log, icon is still in the attributes. I should be able to have a way to rescind this log, and have the attribute removed.

On the other hand, a misguided individual dropped a "needs maintenance" log on one of my caches. This wasn't necessary, the situation was already addressed by me in a note, and the cache is scheduled for archival (next week, as a matter of fact). So I just tried, and I was able to remove the attribute by going in and editing attributes, rather than actually posting a "maintenance performed" log. So that's a new one on me.

Well, I skipped out on my own topic for a few days and look what happened! Just to clarify, I did mean how could someone who is not the cache owner remove the attribute. I found a multi-cache awile back that was missing it's coordinates to stage two. I emailed the owner but recieved no response. I checked his profile and noticed that he had not been on for a couple weeks. Since I figured he was either out of town, busy, or just not interested anymore, I would fix the cache. So I went down the list of finds and emailed people until I found someone that still had the coordinates. I wrote them on aa piece of paper and replaced them myself. Therefore the cache is now fixed and no longer needs maintnance. I have emailed the owner again but have recieved no reply and the cache has not been updated. I DID delete the log thinking it would remove the attribute but it did not. How do I go about contacting my local reviewer? Thanks!

Well, I skipped out on my own topic for a few days and look what happened! Just to clarify, I did mean how could someone who is not the cache owner remove the attribute. I found a multi-cache awile back that was missing it's coordinates to stage two. I emailed the owner but recieved no response. I checked his profile and noticed that he had not been on for a couple weeks. Since I figured he was either out of town, busy, or just not interested anymore, I would fix the cache. So I went down the list of finds and emailed people until I found someone that still had the coordinates. I wrote them on aa piece of paper and replaced them myself. Therefore the cache is now fixed and no longer needs maintnance. I have emailed the owner again but have recieved no reply and the cache has not been updated. I DID delete the log thinking it would remove the attribute but it did not. How do I go about contacting my local reviewer? Thanks!

If it's a newer cache and the owner didn't delete it, the very first log entry on the cache at the very bottom of a "show all logs" page should have a published entry from the reviewer who initially approved the cache. You can contact them through the link to their profile on GC. If that log is not present, I would suggest contacting whatever local approver you work with to approve your caches. They'll either be able to help or can tell you who is the proper contact.

Just for clarification, they are called "reviewers," not "approvers." They don't approve or disapprove of your cache.

At this point the "Needs maintenance" attribute, IMO, should remain as long as the owner of the listing hasn't provided a log to remove that attribute. It is a good indicator whether the cache owner is still active and caring for the listing. Although you get kudos for maintaining the listing the owner should still only have the right to remove the attribute.

If there's overwhelming disagreement to my approach feel free to respond. Adding the log type to remove the attribute is pretty straightforward but I believe this is more of a social issue than a technical one. Should we allow others to take over for the lack of maintainence by the cache owner?

There you go, the correct answer is never use the 'needs maintenance' option. Just post a note that maintenance is needed, so the owner OR some other cacher can do so. Then that cacher can indicate the maintenance completed with another note. Ta Da!

There you go, the correct answer is never use the 'needs maintenance' option. Just post a note that maintenance is needed, so the owner OR some other cacher can do so. Then that cacher can indicate the maintenance completed with another note. Ta Da!

Ahhh, go back to the way things were before the feature was implemented in response to years of forum threads about having some sort of alternative that was short of "needs archived."

I agree that only the cache owner ought to be able to remove the maintenance attribute. The feature should not be designed to excuse owners who are not paying attention to their caches and cache pages.

Don't do it at all. It's just as useful as your suggestion.

Not true, the "Needs Maintenance" currently provides inaccurate info (good samaritan has taken care of it but it's got the bad attribute).

Using a Note allows correcting the problem without causing a new one.

Doing nothing doesn't correct the problem.

Should we allow others to take over for the lack of maintainence by the cache owner?

Are you kidding??? OF COURSE!

We should ENCOURAGE helpful people. We should encourage good samaritans. We should encourage community building habits. Around our neck of the woods it's common practice to spruce up caches and consistently I see logs mentioning replacing ziplocs, leaving new pens, dropping a new logbook. It's common practice.

I help your cache, you help mine.

Of course the system should support good habits rather than discouraging them because it creates a new maintenance issue and work for the volunteers.

IMO of course! Heh.. -Randy

Not true, the "Needs Maintenance" currently provides inaccurate info (good samaritan has taken care of it but it's got the bad attribute).

Using a Note allows correcting the problem without causing a new one.

Doing nothing doesn't correct the problem.

Should we allow others to take over for the lack of maintainence by the cache owner?

Are you kidding??? OF COURSE!

I said take over, not support. The cache owner should be the primary caregiver for their cache. If they want to relinquish control over to someone that is more capable of maintaining it, so be it.

There's no need to twist my comment about owner responsibility into any lack of interest in encouraging good samaritans. That obviously wasn't what I was writing.

I ran into a "Needs Maintenance" issue on a recent trip.

Because I was traveling and camping, I didn't get to log my finds until after I got home. I logged my find for a cache that was in poor condition when I found it. I logged it for the correct date, ten days earlier. Then I logged a Needs Maintenance log, but that log put in the current date, not the date I observed the condition of the cache.

When I noticed that, I tried to go back and edit the date, but couldn't . . . :D

I think changing the date for a Needs Maintenance log should be possible . . .

Another cache, "Valley View" still has a Needs Maintenance icon, even though the cache has been very nicely taken care of by Team_Talisman. It would be nice if Team_Talisman could remove the Needs Maintenance log since they did such a great job! thumbsup.gif

<snip>

When I noticed that, I tried to go back and edit the date, but couldn't . . . :D

</snip>

I agree with you on this. Yes, being able to change the date like any other log should be allowed. If not, you should get a warning message before actually being able to log a cache as needing maintenance. (not sure if this is already the case or not)

On the other hand everyone should use the needs maintenance logs sparingly in my opinion. You want to be sure you actually found the cache in poor shape before logging as such.

When a cache is logged as needing maintenance it only makes sense for the owner to be the only one (aside from reviewers) to be able to remove the log.

Yes, I would like it if someone helped me fix my cache, but I would still want to check it out and make sure it is ready to go, before I say it is truly repaired. I own the cache. If I wanted to give up the right of taking care of my cache I would offer it up for adoption by others.

Just my $0.02

If there's overwhelming disagreement to my approach feel free to respond. Adding the log type to remove the attribute is pretty straightforward but I believe this is more of a social issue than a technical one. Should we allow others to take over for the lack of maintainence by the cache owner?

Now that I read this response, it sounds perfectly logical. I don't think there will be an overwhelming disagreement. I should have thought of this being the line of thinking, seeing as there was a very long discussion along these lines in the Canada forum a couple of months ago. Good samaritan cache fixer uppers are a good thing (I guess I'd consider myself one), but the ultimate responsibility lies with the cache owner. I suppose an uncleared attribute sitting on a cache page doesn't hurt anything.

I ran into a "Needs Maintenance" issue on a recent trip.

Because I was traveling and camping, I didn't get to log my finds until after I got home. I logged my find for a cache that was in poor condition when I found it. I logged it for the correct date, ten days earlier. Then I logged a Needs Maintenance log, but that log put in the current date, not the date I observed the condition of the cache.

Another cache, "Valley View" still has a Needs Maintenance icon, even though the cache has been very nicely taken care of by Team_Talisman. It would be nice if Team_Talisman could remove the Needs Maintenance log since they did such a great job! thumbsup.gif

I disagree. The owner only becomes aware of the maintenance issue once the log is entered. One could make an owner look bad by backdating "needs maintenance" logs, then saying "it's been weeks and nothing's been done to fix this." "Needs archived" logs ought to work the same way, but there is a difference -- volunteer cache reviewers receive copies of those, so they know when the log was made.

...If there's overwhelming disagreement to my approach feel free to respond. Adding the log type to remove the attribute is pretty straightforward but I believe this is more of a social issue than a technical one. Should we allow others to take over for the lack of maintainence by the cache owner?

I'll go ahead and disagree with you.

The 'needs maintenance' icon is really a flag for other cachers to use, not the owner. The owner gets an email about it and, therefore, doesn't require an icon. Since this is a searchable attribute that is really for the communities use, why shouldn't any cacher have the ability to reset it if he/she fixed the problem and/or verified that the cache was now A-OK?

<snip>

When I noticed that, I tried to go back and edit the date, but couldn't . . . :laughing:

</snip>

I agree with you on this. Yes, being able to change the date like any other log should be allowed. If not, you should get a warning message before actually being able to log a cache as needing maintenance. (not sure if this is already the case or not) . . .

Thank you. I would have appreciated a warning that the date was being reset for that particular log. I would not have posted the "Needs Maintenance" log had I known it would not accompany my "Found It" log with the same date.

Alternatively, I would have appreciated the opportunity to change the date to the same date as my "Found It" log. It made no sense to have a "Needs Maintenance" log post for a day I did not observe the cache . . . :rolleyes: That should not be allowed.

At this point the "Needs maintenance" attribute, IMO, should remain as long as the owner of the listing hasn't provided a log to remove that attribute. It is a good indicator whether the cache owner is still active and caring for the listing. Although you get kudos for maintaining the listing the owner should still only have the right to remove the attribute.

I'm getting two things out this discussion.

1. The ablitiy to remove Need Maintenance attribute has intentinally left only for the cache owner (and reviewers). It's considered something the cache owner should personally tend to... and also in time 'NM' logs may help identify caches that need to be adopted/archived.

2. The NM attribute, like all attributes is not an absolute. People should still read the cache's page, logs, plot coords on map(&etc), to decide if any given cache is really kid friendly, bug free, or in need or maintenance.