Cache Page Background Music

Manco46er

Hello,

A couple of the caches I've done have had cache pages that when loaded play background music. Does anyone know if this is still allowed with new cache listings? I tried doing it on one of my caches using the <BGSOUND SRC=> HTML tag and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't do it the right way. I Put the sound file I wanted to use on my personal home page and cut and pasted the page address into the HTML tag and it didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Manco46er

Hello,

A couple of the caches I've done have had cache pages that when loaded play background music. Does anyone know if this is still allowed with new cache listings? I tried doing it on one of my caches using the <BGSOUND SRC=> HTML tag and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't do it the right way. I Put the sound file I wanted to use on my personal home page and cut and pasted the page address into the HTML tag and it didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Manco46er

Just remember that, if you link music behind your page then everybody who has dialup will hate you. Most folks find it incredibly rude to clog the bandwidth with unnecessary music - not to mention the folks who access the pages at work who suddenly have unwanted music blaring out of their computer making everybody in the office want to know what in heck is going on.

Hello,

Manco46er

This has been discussed in past threads quite extensively. The majority of forum participants responded that they find background audio which auto-loads with the cache listing page to be INCREDIBLY rude and obnoxious, and also irritating. I very much agree with them.

HTML Tidy does automatically remove all music tabs, thank goodness. Incredibly annoying, and as has been said, almost always POORLY done. If for some unknown reason, the music is essential for your cache, link to the file and let people play it that way, don't automatically start it for them.

No background music. it is like fingernails on a black board. The few cache pages I have seen with music, contained music that was crap.

There is only cache I have ever found in which the sound track was needed, when you veiw the page the coordinates are sent with morse code.

I agree, I don't care for the music. But then again, I am NOT paperless caching either, and sometimes resent all the pictures that are on a cache page that have no value to the cache either. I end up printing much more than I need.

If you think music would add to the cache hints, write a hint such as "think theme from the Wizard of Oz"

I agree with all the comments about the music. My dialup connection to the Internet is 24K . . . :ph34r:

I have pictures on many of my cache pages because I want to show the view from the location. Browsers have a setting to show the images, or not show the images.

Before printing the page, you could toggle off the images.

As I value the opinions of others in the caching community, I’d like to thank all those who took the time to express their thoughts in regards to this topic.

However, to a certain extent I must disagree with some of the concerns which were stated. First, it was noted that cache page background music was basically useless, usually poorly done, or rarely needed to solve or find a cache. While for the most part that may be true, it is my opinion that in certain cases the addition of this feature can greatly enhance the overall caching experience. After all, why do we cache? Is it to just quickly download a set of coordinates so we can race off to find a cache and therefore increase our find total? Or, do we do it to visit new places, share an experience, or to learn something new? I’d like to think that most cachers fall into the later category.

With that in mind, a few of my caches are historical in nature and relate to events that took place during the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Extremely historical locations dealing with significant events that helped forge the fate of our great Nation. On one of my caches I’ve added a small sound clip of Fife and Drum music to the cache page and the controls that allow the viewer to turn it off. Is the Fife and Drum music needed to find the cache? No. But, I feel it helps present the historical theme that I’m trying to convey.

As for concerns about clogging bandwidth and having cache page music suddenly blare out while viewing caches at work, I can only argue this: First, while there may be some using dial-up, I would bet the majority of people are using a high speed connection. And second, if some are concerned about having music suddenly blare out while surfing the cache pages while on Company time, then obviously it is a no no. Even so, simply turning down/off the volume can easily help one avoid any embarrassing moments.

In reality, I think we are talking about a very small percentage of caches. At least in my area. In a 100 mile radius that includes over 1,700 caches, there are only about a half dozen that contain background music. To automatically label it as being incredibly rude is a little over the top and harsh in my opinion.

As I value the opinions of others in the caching community, I’d like to thank all those who took the time to express their thoughts in regards to this topic.

However, to a certain extent I must disagree with some of the concerns which were stated. ...CLIPPED TO SAVE SPACE

Two thoughts:

1. As of the end of 2005, about half of the households in the US connected to the internet were on a high-speed connection. The rest were on dial-up. The numbers vary by article (40-60%) but this is something you can look into with a quick Google search. All that said, the bandwidth issue is real for many users. (Not me, I love my high-speed)

2. Of the 17 people who posted to this thread, 14 thought the music was a bad idea. It's rare that you find 82% of the users of this forum agreeing on anything.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Runaround

However, to a certain extent I must disagree with some of the concerns which were stated. First, it was noted that cache page background music was basically useless, usually poorly done, or rarely needed to solve or find a cache. While for the most part that may be true, it is my opinion that in certain cases the addition of this feature can greatly enhance the overall caching experience. After all, why do we cache? Is it to just quickly download a set of coordinates so we can race off to find a cache and therefore increase our find total? Or, do we do it to visit new places, share an experience, or to learn something new? I’d like to think that most cachers fall into the later category.

With that in mind, a few of my caches are historical in nature and relate to events that took place during the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Extremely historical locations dealing with significant events that helped forge the fate of our great Nation. On one of my caches I’ve added a small sound clip of Fife and Drum music to the cache page and the controls that allow the viewer to turn it off. Is the Fife and Drum music needed to find the cache? No. But, I feel it helps present the historical theme that I’m trying to convey.

As for concerns about clogging bandwidth and having cache page music suddenly blare out while viewing caches at work, I can only argue this: First, while there may be some using dial-up, I would bet the majority of people are using a high speed connection. And second, if some are concerned about having music suddenly blare out while surfing the cache pages while on Company time, then obviously it is a no no. Even so, simply turning down/off the volume can easily help one avoid any embarrassing moments.

In reality, I think we are talking about a very small percentage of caches. At least in my area. In a 100 mile radius that includes over 1,700 caches, there are only about a half dozen that contain background music. To automatically label it as being incredibly rude is a little over the top and harsh in my opinion.

My concerns expressed earlier about autoloaded music/sound on web pages had nothing to do with bandwidth issues (and, in any case, I happen to have broadband DSL...) but rather the obnoxiousness factor of uninvited sound.

And second, if some are concerned about having music suddenly blare out while surfing the cache pages while on Company time, then obviously it is a no no. Even so, simply turning down/off the volume can easily help one avoid any embarrassing moments.

Not true. We're allowed to surf the Internet at work during our lunch hour or down time. Still, I'm sure my co-workers wouldn't appreciate a blast of fife and drum music when I click on a page. Same goes if I'm

in the library. As far as turning down the speakers, good idea, but I sometimes listen to music through my laptop at home and in work (using headphones in work) and sometimes I just forget to turn them off.

However, to a certain extent I must disagree with some of the concerns which were stated.

The responses so far in this forum are 14 - 0 against having music on the page (not including you). The respondents said they found it to be "obnoxious", "incredibly annoying", "rude", "irritating" and likened it to "fingernails on the blackboard". I know the advice was unsolicited (you only asked how to do it, not if you should) and its not a representative sample of the geocaching community, but why do something that so many find to be so distasteful?

...On one of my caches I’ve added a small sound clip of Fife and Drum music to the cache page and the controls that allow the viewer to turn it off. Is the Fife and Drum music needed to find the cache? No. But, I feel it helps present the historical theme that I’m trying to convey....

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I have a number of historical books, I enjoy history, but I don't need sound effects to enjoy them. I find such sounds not only uneccessary but actually quite annoying. No bandwidth issues, no work concerns (I am self employed) - automatic playing sounds are just - well - rude and inconsiderate. Interupts the digital music I frequently listen to while on the computer. Don't force me to listen to sopmething! I teach basic web design classes at the local community college and strongly encourge students to NEVER even consider background music on a web page. Not only for the reasons above but, I know from years of working on home PCs that about 20% - 30% of home computers do not have speakers or the speakers are not connected correctly or they are usually turned off. What a waste, if they can't hear it at all -(or maybe they are the lucky ones).

I would be willing to bet that many (not all but many) people get so turned off by such things that they will not take time to look at the cache page after the musical interlude.

The responses so far in this forum are 14 - 0 against having music on the page (not including you). The respondents said they found it to be "obnoxious", "incredibly annoying", "rude", "irritating" and likened it to "fingernails on the blackboard". I know the advice was unsolicited (you only asked how to do it, not if you should) and its not a representative sample of the geocaching community, but why do something that so many find to be so distasteful?

You know what the funny thing is? No one has actually said how to do it! (Very easy, but after reading this thread, I ain't tellin').

That is if you can still even do it, that seems to be inconclusive as well.

I have two cache pages that each have less than 5K .wav sounds (one is a few spoken words by Kosmo Kramer from Seinfeld, the other a sound effect). I must say, I had no idea at the general distaste for background music on cache pages in the geocaching community.

You know what the funny thing is? No one has actually said how to do it! (Very easy, but after reading this thread, I ain't tellin').

As I understand it. music on new cache pages is not longer permited, The page would require a link to the music file that the person reading the page would have to click onto.

The responses so far in this forum are 14 - 0 against having music on the page (not including you).

This is one of the few topics that anyone has ever agread with me on :laughing:

It has been brought up in the past with the same reslults.

I run 21-24k Dial-up, anything like music on a page slows my browsing to a crawl, and when it finally does load, it doesn't come on gradually, BOOM and most of the time I jump in my seat and then get annoyed.

I was looking at a site recently where a sound clip of Mr. Ed was attached, unknown to me. Scared the snot out of me, imagine, Mr. Ed suddenly bursting into the silence. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Remember what mom (and emily Post) always used to say.

-Say please and thank you

-Cover your mouth when you cough

-don't put your elbows on the dinner table

-never have auto loading music on your web page

-write a thank you note for every gift you receive

-be a good listener

No music. No cute background anything. Keep a listing simple.

WinXPnews (or whatever) had this question flamed recently. Not many people like music. I expect it with an e-card, but not a site, nevermind a posting like we havw in GC. IT'S SO 10 YEARS AGO!

That being said; I like fife and drum, the best I ever experienced was at the Massachusetts quarter introduction at the Old Mass Statehouse. Rock concert loud, it was cool! I doubt that most computers/music files could deliver the real music or musket fire 'feel'.

Edited by Cape Cod Cacher

On one of my caches I’ve added a small sound clip of Fife and Drum music to the cache page and the controls that allow the viewer to turn it off.

Just reverse it and give the viewer the option to turn it ON, and everyone here will be happy.

I guess that will be the next feature in web browsers. After popup-blockers come the blare-blockers.

Jan

I am disappointed that they stripped out the background music. Removing this is like limiting your free speech. If you don't want to hear it, just mute your speaker. Why not limit the number of words that you can have in a listing. Remove any pictures. Reduce the fonts to one style, one color. Limit the number of log entries

How about reducing it down to the bare essentials:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No Name Cache

N 36° 08.924 W 110° 56.231 GCHPPB

Nov 16 06 by Mervin - found

Nov 04 06 by Wiener - not found

Oct 22 06 by HOho - not found

See. Doesn't it look and sound better.

I am disappointed that they stripped out the background music. Removing this is like limiting your free speech. If you don't want to hear it, just mute your speaker. Why not limit the number of words that you can have in a listing. Remove any pictures. Reduce the fonts to one style, one color. Limit the number of log entries

How about reducing it down to the bare essentials:

No Name Cache

N 36° 08.924 W 110° 56.231 GCHPPB

Nov 16 06 by Mervin - found

Nov 04 06 by Wiener - not found

Oct 22 06 by HOho - not found

See. Doesn't it look and sound better.

You are welcome to put anything you want on the web, supply your own site.

You have the right to say what you want. It is not your right to be heard.

GC.com is a private company. They can limit the freedom of expression on their sites as they feel appropriate.

(note: By you I mean the general public, the great masses out there, washed or otherwise.)

... Why not limit the number of words that you can have in a listing. Remove any pictures. Reduce the fonts to one style, one color. Limit the number of log entries

Actually I think there are limits on the number of characters you can have in each field. AFAIK all the fonts are the same unless you use html to change them, would making it easier to do different fonts improve the caches? Does having pictures drastically improve the adventure???

To me (and I think a lot of others), geocaching is about finding the coordinates and going outside to find a cache. Not about spending hours looking at a bunch of tricked out cache pages... theres lots of other websites out there that can give you that if thats what you want :laughing: