Category: Trail Registers

Trail registers are notebooks commonly placed at trailheads, post offices, shelters, restaurants, inns, and other locations along long hiking/biking/equestrian trails. Anyone hiking the trail can sign their name and leave a note in these registers, and they are often used for communication between hikers who are walking long sections or the entirety of a trail. In these journals, many people talk about their triumphs and hardships of a hike, offer humorous anecdotes, send greetings to friends along the trail, and/or report the current trail conditions.

They're sometimes found in unusual places, for example, last summer we found one at a general store in Lake Hughes, California. The majority of the entries were from the 1970s when the Pacific Crest Trail used to go through this small town.

Please note, these are NOT the same as summit registers, which are usually stored in ammo cans on top of mountain peaks. There is already a category present for those.

What do you think of this idea for a waymark category?

Trail registers are notebooks commonly placed at trailheads, post offices, shelters, restaurants, inns, and other locations along long hiking/biking/equestrian trails.

What do you think of this idea for a waymark category?

Great idea!

Think through your variables, and this could be a fascinating category, esp. for hikers. I'd put in a variable for any know traditional geocaches in the area.

~~silverquill

I will, thank you! I'm not sure if geocaches really fall into the same category, as they're hidden from the most hikers. These are the kind of things that everyone walking by sees and (hopefully) signs.

Here's an example of a trail register in Central Washington:

010.jpg

They range from nice wooden boxes like this to ammo cans attached to trees to a notebook at a shelter, post office, or business establishment near the trail. Sorta like geocaches, I suppose, but not hidden! I've even found "swag" in them before - one of them had a discarded rain jacket. No McToys yet, fortunately! :D

Edited by Mary&Dave