Recommended Software

I'm a Mac user but don't use OS X for geocaching as GSAK is only available for Windows and is by far the best cache management system I've tried.

I just reboot my Intel iMac into native Windows and then use GSAK to load up my Palm, GPS and TomTom with the details I need.

I use Fugawi for maps and send these to my Palm to use in the field. Again, this only works on Windows.

The new Parallels (http://www.parallels.com) virtualisation software is also very good and means you can run Windows in a window on your OS X desktop. It's still in beta and I'm waiting for a bug syncing large files with my Palm to be fixed, but the performance is stunning - it runs Windows a lot faster than most PC's do. Once the wrinkles have been ironed out this is the approach I will be using it as it avoids rebooting into Windows.

Here's a good link to using your Mac for geocaching: http://home.alltel.net/tbone/macgps.html if you want to do things natively.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Use Mac, can transfer POI's (Caches and Trigs! :D ) over to TomTom Go by drag and droping the relevant file onto the SD card in a card reader -works faster than connecting the TomTom.

Can also get PQ files onto SD card by the same means to use them on PPC.

Fear that maps (have been looking at Memory Map) on the PPC needs a Windoze computer -K has a Windoze ME machine and Memory Map needs the latest programs :D ... No backward compatability -never happen on a Mac! :D

G

Thanks for the tips. It looks like i'll have to dust my PC down and make do with that for the time being. My Mac is pre Intel so using windoze on it is not really an option. I wouldn't really fancy the dual booting option (I can do that on the PC with Linux) but the Parallels option looked interesting

Parallels looks great but unless they do a non intel version it looks like i'm using the PC for the GC'ing software. I can't really afford, or justify, upgrading to a MacIntel at the present time. :)

I've downloaded GSAK and I'll give it a try when I've picked my data lead up from the post office. (they don't seem to like leaving packets at neighbours anymore).

I'll close this topic and thanks again for the help

Keith