Downloading Geocaches

Hi,

I have the Vista and want to load some local geocaches (and eventually create some.)

I can load the geos into the Garmin as a waypoint; how do I load/transfer the geos into the units' geocache menu? I have read Garmin's manual which referred me to their online manual. Talk about a map to nowhere!

Anyone have any suggestions???

Rich!!!

Hi,

I have the Vista and want to load some local geocaches (and eventually create some.)

I can load the geos into the Garmin as a waypoint; how do I load/transfer the geos into the units' geocache menu? I have read Garmin's manual which referred me to their online manual. Talk about a map to nowhere!

Rich!!!

Howdy......

I have a VISTA C. I just download to the 'unit' with Easy GPS and goto the GEOCACHING Icon and 'enter' and they are there. It just kinda happens automacically........ :o

I ain't real technical so's I can't explain it real well :mad::mad:

Vern... :o

Hi,

Rich!!!

I think that if you "mark" a Waypoint, then that "waypoint is in the find Menu...if you download geocaches from the listings using easyGPS or other program, then these are placed in the find menu and as a Geocache file. :D check it out :D

So far I've manually entered my caches. I've read about what to do for downloading, but it looks like I can't. Went to plug the wire into the back of my computer and there's no place to put it??? Does that seem right? I have a Etrex Vista and it's a great unit. Any suggestions? I know nothing about computers...just how to operate, so please keep it simple!

Thanks!

So far I've manually entered my caches. I've read about what to do for downloading, but it looks like I can't. Went to plug the wire into the back of my computer and there's no place to put it??? Does that seem right? I have a Etrex Vista and it's a great unit. Any suggestions? I know nothing about computers...just how to operate, so please keep it simple!

Thanks!

If you have the older Vista and not a Vista C or CX, you have a serial connection. Unfortunately newer PCs come without a place to plug in a one of these (I had to pay extra for one when I ordered my PC). Newer PCs use USB connections (those little rectangular thingies on the front and back).

I've read that you can buy a serial to USB adaptor. Go to any place that sells computer supplies. Staples, Comp USA and you should be able to find one. Just ask the salesperson and he should know what you are talking about.

Moving the appropriate forum

Edited by briansnat

Assuming you do have the right cord, and that you downloaded Easygps from the gc site:

Go to the zip code page for your area, and it will list 20 caches (I think 20 is correct). check the box on the ones you want, Then at the bottom of the page is the button to click, and tell it easygps when that comes up. Then when you are looking at the easygps file you just created, at the top it will have a button to send to gps, choose the right type. Takes 2 seconds. In your gps you will have waypoints (gcxxxx) - and you will need, with an older vista, to have a pda, or paper trail, for a cache description.

Assuming you do have the right cord, and that you downloaded Easygps from the gc site:

Go to the zip code page for your area, and it will list 20 caches (I think 20 is correct). check the box on the ones you want, Then at the bottom of the page is the button to click, and tell it easygps when that comes up. Then when you are looking at the easygps file you just created, at the top it will have a button to send to gps, choose the right type. Takes 2 seconds. In your gps you will have waypoints (gcxxxx) - and you will need, with an older vista, to have a pda, or paper trail, for a cache description.

Since Vista Cx is in the topic title I would guess that is the unit you are using. Therefore I cant imagine why your USB GPSr can't connect to your computer. Your Vista Cx came with a cable that has a normal USB connector on one end and a smaller mini-usb connector on the other end. Since you dont know much about computers Let me suggest that you look for the USB connection on the back of your computer. Even older computers will have USB ports. If you are currently using all of the USB connections available you can purchase a USB hub that gives you additional ports.

I own a Vista Cx and nowI use GSAK to manage my Pocket Queries and Cachemate to send the Cache information to my used PDA.

When I first got started caching I followed the instructions as stated in reply above I downloaded the list of nearest caches to my zipcode and used EASYGPS to send them to my Vista Cx. I also opened the individual cache information sheets and printed them along with the Mapquest map for driving instructions. It was a really easy process. I was just beginning to get comfortable with paperless caching when I had to send my Vista Cx back to Garmin for repair. but thats another story.

best of luck keep trying.

timk54

Thanks for ALL responses.

I DO have my Vista Cx cable and finally downloaded my first geocache to it. It was frustrating loading as waypoints but will all the help you people have given me and EasyGps I loaded saved geos from my laptop to the geo option on my Cx

Timk, Sorry about your problems, am wondering what was wrong. As you also own same Garmin, please let me know what went wrong. I had purchased a car adapter power cord which didn't work (yes, the green lite on the adapter DID work.) I contacted Garmin about this, they promptly sent me another adapter. Same thing! I now have 2 power cords that don't work properly with the Cx and I finally bought NiMH rechargeables which seems to be worth the $30 spent. Cx powers fine with the cable via USB. I have heard assorted stories that the adapter might not work, and one rumor that it does. Does this sound familiar to you? I'm NOT parting with the Cx easily! Expecially for the wrong reason!

Rich