Geocaching Vacations?

Just wanting to hear about some geocaching vacations. By this I mean a vacation you took in which the MAIN REASON for going was geocaching! Not just a vacation where you happened to do some geocaching one day or so. Anyone ever plan a vacation for geocaching? Who here can say they went on the longest geocaching vacation?

Just wanting to hear about some geocaching vacations. By this I mean a vacation you took in which the MAIN REASON for going was geocaching! Not just a vacation where you happened to do some geocaching one day or so. Anyone ever plan a vacation for geocaching? Who here can say they went on the longest geocaching vacation?

Well, I went on a geocaching vacation over the Christmas holidays. Two of my sons were in on it. My wife and other son thought we were simply going to see family. We left from Wisconsin took a pilgrimage to Shelter II in Indiana (mother as not terribly happy about this little detour - although she did help us look).

We arrived in Florida to see my folks. We spent more time geocaching than visiting. We introduced my Mom and cousin to geocaching. Then we traveled to Louisianna where we found some caches and left some caches for my niece to maintain.

My wife thinks it was merely a standard family vacation. I know otherwise.

Our newest "thing" is to cache in all 50 states. For Thanksgiving, we went to vist relatives in NC. During that trip we hit caches in NC, SC, GA, VA, TN, and KY, but that wasn't really "just" for caching. This winter we drove from our home in Michigan to WV for a couple of caches, stayed over night, drove to Erie, PA so we could hit caches in PA, and NY, stayed over night, and drove home the next morning......all for caching!

Last May I spent in a week in Las Vegas to go Geocaching. Drive 30 minutes outside of Vegas and you'd be amazed at all the great caches hidden in the desert you can hike to. Rented an SUV so I would have a suspension to handle the unpaved roads. I had a great time, every night I came back to my hotel on the strip looking like Indiana Jones. It was alot of fun watching all the people doing double takes as I sat by the bar.

Edited by magellan315

Although I cache on every vacation (Alaska, Panama, England, most recently New Zealand), I've taken a few tirps with the primary goal of geocaching. They are usually only for a one or two nights. For instance, we flew from OKC to Phoenix and cached our way to the Grand Canyon. Then later that year over the 4th of July, we drove to Amarillo, eating at the Big Texan (no we didn't eat the 72oz steak meal), just so we could grab caches in NM. Last month, we drove over to Clarksville, AR for a weekend event. I have a great wife, who's willing to put up with me in search of tupperware containers in the woods, and probably finds as many as I do. :lol:

Jan. first this year we left home for Phoenix Az hitting a 1/2 dozen caches on the way over. Cached Mon. Tues. and Wed. from about 6 am until about 2 pm. spent Thurs. and the evenings visiting relatives started a round about way home and hit a few more caches on the way to Yuma. Cached Fri.nite in Yuma and Sat morning.We would have spent more time in Yuma,but the wife slipped and fell and skinned her knees and hands up pretty bad, so I decided to cut the rest of the weekend short and head for home.

As it was we still did about 200 caches.

:lol::lol: Yeah it was a fun numbers run

Vacationing places just to cache is what we do. We take our fifth wheel, set up camp, and cache. In 2003 we had wanted to find this cache "The Wild Bunch Cache" (GC8385) so we cached our way from Central IL to Central WY just to find the cache. We then traveled to north of Belle Fouche, SD to log the geographic center of the US. We logged other caches along the way but those 2 were the purpose of that vacation.

Wasn't able to vacation in the summer of 2004. In 2005 went from Central IL to Key West for the purpose to log "USA, All the Way South" (GC2C32).

We've made annual trips to New Orleans just to cache. Just got back from Pensacola where we went just to cache. Planning a trip in a couple of weeks to OK and TX to cache and log our 19th and 20th state. Later in the summer will be going to WI and MN and coming back thru NE to get our 21st, 22nd, and 23rd states.

we had a mission to Camp Victory and it was up in the air whether my gun-truck and crew would go or one of the other trucks in the platoon. long story, i ended up going, my driver and gunner took the day off, went and slept in a tent; i took the humvee by myself (for a change) and drove around Victory and Slayer all morning. Found 4 of the 5 caches i was looking for(i WILL find Stonehenge!) and had lunch with some of the brass who happened to sit at my table and listened to me gripe. Maybe not your idea of a vacation, but a few hours geocaching, away from the same old faces and not getting mortared? well, those are good times, my friends.

i heard a rumor that there are civilian geocaches back in the states? is it true?

we had a mission to Camp Victory and it was up in the air whether my gun-truck and crew would go or one of the other trucks in the platoon. long story, i ended up going, my driver and gunner took the day off, went and slept in a tent; i took the humvee by myself (for a change) and drove around Victory and Slayer all morning. Found 4 of the 5 caches i was looking for(i WILL find Stonehenge!) and had lunch with some of the brass who happened to sit at my table and listened to me gripe. Maybe not your idea of a vacation, but a few hours geocaching, away from the same old faces and not getting mortared? well, those are good times, my friends.

i heard a rumor that there are civilian geocaches back in the states? is it true?

Sounds like a vacation to me! Of course, I use to have "vacation" by running down to Camp Arifjan to take a shower, use a flush toilet and wash clothes in a machine! Best days off that I could imagine. Of course, a cache or two would have been nice but I couldn't find a GPS!

Next stateside vacation though does start with caching. We're attending the geojamboree in CT. The whole vacation was planned around this weekend. Now, we're doing other things like visiting my husband's grandmother in ME and going to bike week in Laconia, NH but geojamboree is our start.

Terri

I used a frequent flyer ticket to fly to Munich, Germany over Easter. Caching, beer and food were pretty much the only purposes of the trip. I left Thursday night, flew back Monday and was at work Tuesday morning.

Well, did your homebrews match up to the German selections of fine beers ...

I once took a two week geocaching trip to Europe. My new bride called it something else.

We did a caching vacation From July 2005 to October 2005.

The info on the trip.

We were on the road for a total of 85 days.

We drove a total of 31,415 kilometres.

That is an average of 349 kilometres a day.

We found 300 caches. We also Posted 17 DNF’s. That’s an average of 3.5 finds per day.

We walked a total of 179 kilometres in searching for caches. 50 cache searches accounted for 150 of these kilometres. We can’t work out the metres climbed and descended. We shed a total of 10 kilos between us. (Ken needed it)

We intended some more caches in a city envoironment but diverted to pick up one remote cache for a contest(Globetrotter)

We have one trip planned this year in July soley to pick up a cache thats into its 4th year unfound. We will pick a couple of others I am sure on the way back. Its a 4 day 2,500 kilometre round trip.

The last part of spring break this year we took a trip to Myrtle Beach. I had been talking to a new cacher here in the forums and on a whim, we decided to go there. We planned to cache our way there, cache while we were there, go to Charlestown and do some caching, and cache our way back.

It didn't work out that way. We did do some caches on the way down there, and we did some great caches while we were there. We even helped to hide a cache that he maintains. But then we got sidetracked and decided to skip Charlestown for this year and just it easy and enjoy the beach and some much needed R & R. We did a few more on the way home. I had loaded about 150 caches--we ended up finding about 26 and DNF'd a handful more.

It always works out that way for us. I load up two or three hundred caches and plan routes to them every time we go somewhere. As much as I love to geocache though, I eventually get caught up in the new location, and do far less geocaching than I plan.

We are leaving in 3 weeks for our cross country tour. We will cache our way from Ohio to Colorado. We have family in Manitou Springs who are very adventurous. They are looking forward to showing us around their beautiful state, we are looking forward to maybe surprising them with some awesome places they weren't aware of. Crossing my fingers that they enjoy caching as much as we do, if not they aren't going to like our visit at all! :ph34r:

On July 5th of this year I am leaving from Lake Tahoe (after 6 days of cacheing there) for Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. It will be a 9 week trip in a 5th wheel. While I can't say the only reason for the trip is cacheing I can say that I planned most of the trip around cache locations. It seems that where they are caches there is also other stuff to do. The pocket queries were interesting. When I query for the nearest 500 to my house the radius is about 30 miles or so. I queried with the junction of British Columbia, Northwest Territory and the Yukon for the nearest and only got 375 in the 500 mile radius.

Caching was not the PRIMARY purpose for the vacation, but on top of the visit with friends, the Bluegrass/Gospel music festival, and the geocaching picninc, we did manage to bag 52 finds in 2 weeks. It was our first summer caching (2005), and we had a ball! We recently got back from a trip to Israel, adn had the good fortune to pick up a TB in Elkhorn, Wisconsin, to be dropped off at a cache in Jerusalem (guess Koko Pelli- the Hiker has a few more miles on him now!).

I once took a two week geocaching trip to Europe. My new bride called it something else.

Mmmmm.... You must have been doing some night time geocaching then. :)

Last summer we drove from Florida to Maine and back on a 2 week caching vacation. We found caches in every state we drove through even and altered our route to hit nearby states (and Canada) to get a total of 170 some finds (can't recall exact number right now) in 16 states and 2 countries. We had a wonderful tour of Maine by letting the caches guide us instead of the tourism guidebook. The trip made me really appreciate rest area caches along the interstate :)