Purchasing An Etrex Abroad.

In a few months I'm off on holiday to Florida, and was looking at taking a bit extra cash to purchase a Garmin eTrex 'yellow' in a Wal-Mart over there. (Its a family hol, so we'll only be going to the big Supercentres and mum gets 10% discount as an ASDA employee) I believe it doesnt have a base map, so I reckon it should be ok to use in UK. Is this correct?

Cheers

Happy Holidays...... and if you get the chance to have a look at the Garmin Etrex Legend at Walmarts I think you will find they are well worth a couple of dollars more. As for the maps to use in the UK, I can help you with MapSource.

Regards.......Red Squadron..........John & Ann

The firmware is international.

I concur with rutson's statement.

However, since you have the opportunity, if you are going for the lower spec B&W models, I would still recommend that you go directly to a Legend (8 MB map store) or, even better, a Vista (24 MB map store). These two units have high resolution screens and will hold street-level map data from Mapsource data discs. Once you see one of these in action - you will want to upgrade. You also get a PC data lead included saving £10 - £20. Make the most of the opportunity you have while you're in the States, you know you really want to!

Over the years, I have owned the whole range of eTrex units, presently with a Vista Cx International version.

Ignore the basemap issue completely - you will never want use it. The low quality basemap is "overwritten" by the hi-res maps you install. This is only a temporary "overwrite", the basemap is fixed in memory, the hi-res maps you load are displayed instead when appropriate. When you load different map data, the original area of the basemap will be displayed - but it is pish!

Grrrr, now you've tempted me. Looking at the walmart website, I could get the Legend (with no accessories) for $120 or the plain old eTrex for about $90 with carry case, though I could just get a case as well making it $90 vs $130. Hmmmmm. $130 must be about £80 by my reckoning, so I just need to have £80 extra in travellers cheques to take over....

Ooooh the temptation.

Thoughts anyone?

rjs_252

We bought an Etrex yellow in Florida a couple of months ago. It was in a sale for $80 (usually $90). The only problem was the shop we got it from was a geocachers heaven and so ended up spending a fortune on all sorts of other outdoor equipment.

If you want to avoid spending lots of money and drooling over what we all love, don't go to the Bass Pro shop called Outdoor World on International Drive, Nº28.28.220 Wº081.26.901 :mad:

Grrrr, now you've tempted me. Looking at the walmart website, I could get the Legend (with no accessories) for $120 or the plain old eTrex for about $90 with carry case, though I could just get a case as well making it $90 vs $130. Hmmmmm. $130 must be about £80 by my reckoning, so I just need to have £80 extra in travellers cheques to take over....

Ooooh the temptation.

Thoughts anyone?

rjs_252

Do it! If you do not, you will just spend the next couple of years regretting not making the most of your trip to the States... and of course, you will end up doing it anyway.

Trust me, the high res mapping and the interfacing with the software (waypoints, routes and tracks) on the PC will greatly enhance your geocaching fun. Get GSAK too and you will be cooking...

If you want to avoid spending lots of money and drooling over what we all love, don't go to the Bass Pro shop called Outdoor World on International Drive, Nº28.28.220 Wº081.26.901 :D

Easier said than done, we discovered this the last time we went. My dad's an avid fisherman, so he could have spent days there. I also got a Jaws the singing shark (one of those mounted look alike fish that sings when you push the button), so the place holds good memories, which come up everytime Jaws sings Mack the knife or I hear the Jaws theme (which happens al ot as I work at a cinema). Its inevitable we'll end up there. I will try to stick to talking animals though. Will try.

rjs_252

Ooooh the temptation.

Thoughts anyone?

rjs_252

Definitely do it.

We had to make a similar choice between the yellow and the Legend when we started. We went for the Legend and have only regretted it since the CSx came out as we can't justify an upgrade! :lol:

Bambi.