Geocaching Sign Language

Wife and kids are Deaf and I want to use a sign for geocaching so they know what I'm talking about...not sure if there is one so I've decided to ask the community.....

What sign or combo of signs do you use for geocaching?

Any Deaf Cachers out there?????

I remember having a discussion on this a long time ago. I don't know if anything was ever 'officially' adopted. If I remember correctly I think I suggested holding your hand out in front of you like you were holding a gps and moving it back and forth (aka the Maggie hula).

The other option would be the Jeremy finger/thumb/chin sign that is also pretty well known.

The other option would be the Jeremy finger/thumb/chin sign that is also pretty well known.

I think it's been pointed out: that is the sign for lesbian.

Really? Before I cached, as a paramedic, " back in the day" I thought that was the universal sign for "what am i going to do next?" :ph34r:

We are a husband and wife team, Deafdillos. We often refered to GC as fingerspelling "G" and "C" quickly. It is easy and quick. Sometimes, we uses a sign like you hold the GPSr while scanning right to left to right in reference to geocaching. The sign for GPSr is just holding the traditional GPSr in stationary postion. We adopted this sign after a deaf teen went with us on several caching trips. He signed it often so we liked it. It is not adopted community wide yet since we did not know there are other Deaf cachers. We still think that we are only GC addicts in Texas, perhaps, USA. We would love to know there are other Deaf cachers. We hope that we might meet them during Geowoodstock 4.

Richard and Natalie

Deafdillos

Texas

Edited by Deafdillos

When I talk to my deaf friend about caching, I always start out fingerspelling the whole word 'geocaching', and then for the rest of the conversation I'll just sign 'geo', since she knows what we're talking about. I guess 'GC' would be quickest...I hadn't thought about that.

I would love an official sign for caching, though, this is a great idea! Just needs to be organized. :(

Well, my wife and I came up with either finger spelling out G C for geocache.

OR

The hand out in front going back and forth in front of you, hand formed as if you had a GPS in it.

Either one will work with her to understand what I am talking about.

I think it's been pointed out: that is the sign for lesbian.

3_600.jpg means lesbian? Not referring to Jeremy himself, but to his gesture.

I just looked it up in my SEE book, which has over 4400 signs in it, but interestingly enough they do not have the sign for lesbian. :P

There are many signs that you won't find in a book. Some are nation wide use and others are local use only. Here in the Greater Cleveland area of Ohio, we use a finger pointed into the arm and the hand shaped like a gun making a shooting motion when we want to order a Coke. Diet Coke it like you're sniffing then the shot in the arm. Not a good idea to use in a known drug area and you won't see it in a book!

FTF I would sign First then Find. Muggle I would use a sign for someone who is nosey.

I am not deaf but I have a friend who is and as such I use sign on a regular basis. I'm not anywhere near fluent but I know enough to carry on a conversation with my friend and others and i'm still learning...everything I have learned I have picked up just from hanging out with my friend. I'll follow this topic to see what comes up. ANd yes the "L handshape" held to the chin is the sign used to indicated lesbian...so that might not be a good idea to use for our sport.

Edited by wildearth2001

This is from the book, American Sign Language Dictionary," revised edition (by Martin L.A. Sternberg).

28c30efe-f352-4480-9ffe-2738011152ca.jpg

What was the embarrasing way I learned this sign?

I work with the Deaf and am immersed in sign every day. When I was first learning sign 15 years ago, I tried to tell a boy he was "handsome." It is the same as this sign, but the index finger should be crooked, to represent a square chin. I extended the index finger straight out, and instantly there were gasps and wide eyes and shocked reactions. "WHAT?!? WHAT??! What did I just sign?!?!!"

Happened to me many times than one with other "close but not quite" signs! I won't even tell you the other ones I goofed.

I'd stick with the letters G.C. for the sign here, lol. :D

This is from the book, American Sign Language Dictionary," revised edition (by Martin L.A. Sternberg).

I work with the Deaf and am immersed in sign every day. When I was first learning sign 15 years ago, I tried to tell a boy he was "handsome." It is the same as this sign, but the index finger should be crooked, to represent a square chin. I extended the index finger straight out, and instantly there were gasps and wide eyes and shocked reactions. "WHAT?!? WHAT??! What did I just sign?!?!!"

Happened to me many times than one with other "close but not quite" signs! I won't even tell you the other ones I goofed.

I'd stick with the letters G.C. for the sign here, lol. :lol:

:laughing: My sister is deaf - I'll have to see if she knows that one. G.C. works, but it isn't very creative or descriptive by sight such as many other signs. Maybe the Geocaching community needs to appeal to the American Sign Language Board for an official sign.

Edited by overtaxed1

I introduced a friend to caching a year or so ago who is deaf. He goes by the nick Deaf Dude and for reasons of his own does not log online. He has a number of finds both with me and with his family and friends who he has introduced to caching as well. He came up with a sign that we use. It is a variation of the sign for hide which combines the signs for secret and under. In his variation he uses the "c" hand with the under sign instead of the "a" hand from the word secret. The C of course stands for cache. We use it for describing a particular cache and for geocaching in general based on the context of the sentence we are using at the time.

d2a934e4-e891-4d04-9667-732cb47313ec.jpg

edit for clarity

Edited by TheBeanTeam

The Bean Team says:

It is a variation of the sign for hide which combines the signs for secret and under. In his variation he uses the "c" hand with the under sign instead of the "a" hand from the word secret. The C of course stands for cache. We use it for describing a particular cache and for geocaching in general based on the context of the sentence we are using at the time.

I really like this one a lot. It is very "ASL" and makes perfect sense. It's like saying "Stash hidden under" or "container hidden."

The Bean Team says:

It is a variation of the sign for hide which combines the signs for secret and under. In his variation he uses the "c" hand with the under sign instead of the "a" hand from the word secret. The C of course stands for cache. We use it for describing a particular cache and for geocaching in general based on the context of the sentence we are using at the time.

I really like this one a lot. It is very "ASL" and makes perfect sense. It's like saying "Stash hidden under" or "container hidden."

Yes, this is my favorite one overall. It makes a lot of sense. My second favorite is just fingerspelling G.C.

I'd stick with the letters G.C. for the sign here, lol. :lol:

:huh: My sister is deaf - I'll have to see if she knows that one. G.C. works, but it isn't very creative or descriptive by sight such as many other signs. Maybe the Geocaching community needs to appeal to the American Sign Language Board for an official sign.

I had been thinking to myself that the sign for "Lesbian" would be with the letter "L" palm out. It would make sense, because for instance, the generic sign for my name is the letter "A" at the chin with the palm out.

But I finally asked my deaf friend what the sign for Lesbian was, and she immediately made the letter "L" at her chin with her palm in, like we've seen used for Geocaching. It's confirmed for me. Of course, this entry up above in the book also confirms it. But after she showed me the "Geocaching" sign that really means "Lesbian", I just laughed and laughed. Oops. :laughing::laughing:<_<:anibad:

The Bean Team says:

[image snipped]

Yes, this is my favorite one overall. It makes a lot of sense. My second favorite is just fingerspelling G.C.

Yes, I like it a lot.

The Bean Team says:

Also, if you move the "C" handshape in a circular motion it a modification of "SEARCH" (normally done near the eyes. Great sign to use if done under the flat hand. I must check with some Deaf friends to see what they think.

There was another thread on this...

Deaf Cachers, how do you sign Geocaching?

In that one I suggested the GX (Leatherman public domain Geocaching logo) as a base for signing use.

I think I got the direction of circle backwards though (hate mirrors), but still like the idea.

One handed and quick, and a muggle would wonder WHAT?. Just a quick chest circle starting over the left chest top, draw straight to the center and then cross that line at right angles about 2/3rds of the way out. Just need to get the details right.

Not a thing wrong with any of the suggestions though, but in the field you might want some stealth just in case.

This symbol is meaningful to any who already know it so could be used by anyone as a recognition 'sign'.

I suspect that anyone who is really proud of Geocaching probably has lots of cache gear on already in plain sight.

My last contact with someone at a cache site, was with a couple of older ladies, who said they were just looking around, when asked what they were seeking. No mention of geocaching by them, but I asked if they were looking for a Geocache, and pointed to their hastily covered up GPS in ones hand, still showing the cache goto data.

A simple sign (for non deaf or deaf) would have been a bit less fun, but useful.

edit: just noticed that that link references this one, :laughing: I seem to have the direction OK, I'm upside down now!

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc