Can You Track Your Own Finds On A Personal Coin?

NotNutts

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but a cursory search yielded no results. I just got a Geo-Coin that kind of represents me well, so I was considering making it a personal coin that I log in and out of each cache I visit/have visited. Is this legal/allowed/ethical? Is there an easy way to log all my old finds? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you can do it... some people even call them your "shadow"...

I recently activated my first coin to mark all my cache achievements. 1st find and every 25th find.

I even activated on the day I got my first find (turn the date back) and logged them into and out of each cache on the date I found them (turn the date back).

Worked fine and even placed everything in order.

MetroGT

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but a cursory search yielded no results. I just got a Geo-Coin that kind of represents me well, so I was considering making it a personal coin that I log in and out of each cache I visit/have visited. Is this legal/allowed/ethical? Is there an easy way to log all my old finds? Thanks in advance.

If the coin or bug is owned by someone and it has a goal attached to it, you should help it toward that goal and put it on a watch list to see when it reaches said goal. If it's goal is to travel from cache to cache and see how many miles it can get then theres nothing wrong with keeping it in your pocket and logging it in each cache you visit, take pictures of it at the cache location. I had a travel bug that was alittle different and it had it's picture taken in some strange places, we enjoyed seeing all the places it went to. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=24013

Hitchhikers as they were called early on were put out with that in mind, the owner liked to see it travel near and far and hopefully see some pictures of it and the people it came in contact with.

I've got some coins that are going into 5/5 caches and they will be there for the taking and their only goal is to see more true 5/5 caches.

I use a USA 2006 to track my achievement caches (1st cache find and all multiples of 25) and I'm activating another for my FTFs (2LUKNF8) and I'm thinking about another for my favorite caches.

USA 2006 - Year I started Caching

2LUKNF8 - FTF theme coin

Not sure what to use for the favorites though.

OK, next question...Why? I mean, I feel like holding on to a track-able coin is taking away part of the fun, ya know?

Why would you think that it's NOT ok ?

It's YOUR coin and YOUR idea of fun.

YOU decide what is ok.

That said, many people use coins as personal mileage counters (me included). I 'drop' it in caches I go to, and immediately grab it back. I've been doing this since 1/1/05, but went back with a little programming to calculate my 02/03/04 mileage and figured I'm at about 86,500 miles going from cache-to-cache as the GPS measures (of course the true mileage would be much more). Just a harmless little way to get a giggle out of caching.

I have a few coins that track my caching... One coin logged 11,000 miles in just over 30 days!! It is amazing how fast the miles add up!!

I have a compass rose that tracks all caches found, and various other coins to track specific types of caches. I like how I can look at each coin to see how many FTFs Phone a friend, Cachers met on the trail etc, that I have accomplished or done...

Edited by IC1

If it's your coin, and it's trackable, no problem. If you just found the coin in a cache, do what the coin page says to do, someone else is the owner, and they'll get an email everytime you move it. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you react if someone grabbed a coin of yours and made it their personal TB tracker, and you were reminded of it every time they went caching? If you want to track your travels, you can always get a TB tag, and you can log it in and out of where ever you go.