Save Track To Card Returns For 60cx, 60csx, 76cx, 76csx

2.71 Beta as of May 12, 2006

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.71:

Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

Add ability to put unit into USB mass storage mode via the interface setup page to facilitate copying track files from data card to PC.

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1349 (60Cx)

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1277 (60CSx)

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1359 (76Cx)

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1361 (76CSx)

This is funny....what, they forgot to add those two things back in two days ago when 2.7 came out..LOL

Anyway, kudos to Garmin for fixing those ommisons!!!

I love my 60csx.

I just got done making a power cable for it..got the garmin connector at www.pfranc.com

you pay what you want....its funny..they call it share hardware.

2.71 Beta as of May 12, 2006

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.71:

Add ability to put unit into USB mass storage mode via the interface setup page to facilitate copying track files from data card to PC.

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1349 (60Cx)

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1277 (60CSx)

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1359 (76Cx)

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1361 (76CSx)

Edited by kb9nvh

once unti is in USB Storage mode... it stays there until you unplug the USB cable,,, no way out !

I just fought with this myself! :o

Assuming that you're using a Windows XP machine, to get out of this mode, you need to go to the System Tray, click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, then select the item that represents the GPS unit (in my case, it says "Safely remove Mass Storage Device - Drive(J:)"

After you do this, you should see the "Safe to Remove Hardware" pop-up, and the GPSr will be back to "normal" mode.

--Larry

Can anyone explain the advantages with above changes? It doesnt appear selfevident to me. Probably because Im a GPS-newbie, I guess.

>>Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

The track log is continuously stored to the MicroSD card if this feature is on. With this feature there is no limit (other than card size) of how big a track you can store. It is usefull for people that want to record their tracks and are out for more than a day at a time.

>>Add ability to put unit into USB mass storage mode via the interface setup page to facilitate copying track files from data card to PC.

This allows you to treat the microSD card as a drive on your computer so that you can transfer any files back and forth at will. Just like having your own personal USB drive....

No card readers required and you dont take any chances on breaking something. Beauty eh!

I love my 60Cx but feel the way the card is locked in place is a problem waiting to happen. So I rarely change my cards. And I never do it in the field. I am also not sure that I need the ability to save the track files. I have been using a Garmin for the past 4 years to track my walks and geocaching and havent found a need to be able to save the tracks as mentioned. But I will never ask them to take it away!

I agree with previous posts, Garmin wanted more time to try this out.

Cheers

Brent

No card readers required and you dont take any chances on breaking something. Beauty eh!

I love my 60Cx but feel the way the card is locked in place is a problem waiting to happen. So I rarely change my cards. And I never do it in the field. I am also not sure that I need the ability to save the track files. I have been using a Garmin for the past 4 years to track my walks and geocaching and havent found a need to be able to save the tracks as mentioned. But I will never ask them to take it away!

Cheers

Brent

once unti is in USB Storage mode... it stays there until you unplug the USB cable,,, no way out !

On Win 2000 there is an "unplug or eject hardware" icon on the system tray when in usb storage mode.

Clicking that brings up a window to stop the usb device before disconnecting the gpsr.

Cheers

Brent

I am kind of leery about the lockdown mechanism too. Mine completely came out once. It was easy to replace but.....I called Garmin and wanted to buy a couple for spares but after a long time on the phone and after the guy I talked to asked a couple of others he came back with the answer. No.

D'Oh!

I'm goin' on a trip tomorrow, so I just rolled back to 2.62Beta specifically for the data card tracking! :o

I spent all evening re-doing my preferences and manually inputting routes (with custom POIs). :ph34r:

Oh well - I guess at least I know what to expect with this version...

Edited by Neo_Geo

When you roll back to an older version (or at least from 2.70 to 2.62), it will wipe out preferences, waypoints, tracks and routes. About the only thing that remained was my owner information data and the data on the data card. I didn't lose my POIs, but I had a lot of routes built using my POIs which were lost.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Wow, that didn't take long.

Anyone find any bugs that may have accidently cropped up with this release?

There is the problem of the last point in a log having a "retrograde" time stamp. Only affects the log in the GPS memory and also occurs in the 2.70 firmware. I just posted the following in another thread noting that the GPS memory and SD card do not have EXACTLY the same information --

I conducted a little experiment after downloading the 2.71 beta which allowed me to save tracklogs onto the SD card. I made the unit record three tracks by either turning off the unit or obscuring the signal. Conclusion - there were some notable differences between the two logs, which I discuss below.

Track log 1 - This log was created by turning on the unit, walking around the yard and turning off the unit again. The track log from the GPS memory had 16 points and the one from the SD card had 14 points. The first 14 points were basically identical, but the gps memory had a 15th point a few seconds later. The last point on GPS memory log had the retrograde time stamp.

Track log 2 - Created by turning on the unit, walking around the yard and then going inside to block the signal (in the inside room of a 2 story house, I had to sit on the unit to get it to loose the signal). This time I had 15 points on the SD card and 16 on the GPS memory. The GPS memory somply had one extra point a few seconds later, but this time no retrograde time.

Track log 3 - Created by walking back outside and regaining the signal walking around the yard and turning off the unit. This time there were 6 points on the SD card and 8 on the GPS memory. The GPS memory had one extra point a few seconds after the last one on the SD card, plus the retrograde time point.

Additionally, for corresponding points on the SD card and GPS memory the coordinates were identical, but the elevation varied between the two from 0 to 2 feet.

Brian