A Big Day For Geograph

Gary "Inunshuk" Rogers appealled for help with his original "geograph" idea on these hallowed forums 17 months ago, and with the help of Barry "barryhunter" Hunter and myself we built Geograph British Isles, and along with over 2000 other volunteer contributors we've amassed over 160,000 geolocated photos of the British Isles, all available for re-use under a Creative Commons licence.

Today we're proud to announce we've agreed a two year sponsorship deal with the OS to improve the site and its infrastructure to enable use in schools as well as wider public use, which will also allow us to use OS mapping in the site too.

This is fantastic news, and will secure the future of what is becoming a useful photograph archive!

The site was born out of geocaching, and we thank all our fellow cachers who've taken part, whether you've submitted one picture or thousands. Many thanks for helping it get to where it is today!

Gary "Inunshuk" Rogers appealled for help with his original "geograph" idea on these hallowed forums 17 months ago, and with the help of Barry "barryhunter" Hunter and myself we built Geograph British Isles, and along with over 2000 other volunteer contributors we've amassed over 160,000 geolocated photos of the British Isles, all available for re-use under a Creative Commons licence.

Today we're proud to announce we've agreed a two year sponsorship deal with the OS to improve the site and its infrastructure to enable use in schools as well as wider public use, which will also allow us to use OS mapping in the site too.

This is fantastic news, and will secure the future of what is becoming a useful photograph archive!

The site was born out of geocaching, and we thank all our fellow cachers who've taken part, whether you've submitted one picture or thousands. Many thanks for helping it get to where it is today!

Sorry, search is temporarily unavailable

During busy periods we limit the availability of search to ensure the site remains responsive - please try again shortly.

I guess I picked the wrong time :o

During busy periods we limit the availability of search to ensure the site remains responsive - please try again shortly.

Site gets very busy at weekends. We've been dying to get new equipment for months, the OS deal means that instead of running a single teeny Celeron server, the site will be powered by 9 Xeon processors with a sum total of 20GB RAM. It'll be a monster :D

Site gets very busy at weekends. We've been dying to get new equipment for months, the OS deal means that instead of running a single teeny Celeron server, the site will be powered by 9 Xeon processors with a sum total of 20GB RAM. It'll be a monster :D

Crikey you'd be able to run a whole geocaching service with that setup :D

Crikey you'd be able to run a whole geocaching service with that setup :D

[/techy] providing you run it on Oracle and not SQL [/techy]

on a positive note, this is exactly what we need - my 8 year old son has been harping on about co-ordinates that he's been learning at school - coupled with this kind of idea, it's very positive for both kids and adults.

That is such good news. I've always loved this project. When the cry for help first went up I was just learning ASP and PHP and tried to see how I would implement it to see if I could be of help.

Quickly realised I was out of my depth and that there were so many more experienced people out there.

Looks like the funding will completely transform what you can do.

Best of luck guys.

I'd like to say a special thanks to Rutson: who posted a brilliant critical yet constructive note on this forum which made me realise that my first, feeble attempt to get the project off the ground via the mag site wasn't viable. That's what led me to make my plea for help.

And of course to Paul and Barry who offereed to help and have put countless hours of hard work into the project.

Just another example of what an amazing group of people cachers are - their generosity in offering help and support and their astonishing technical abilities :ph34r:

thanks and best wishes

Gary

Great news.

I was one of the original submitters to this site and had a look back a few weeks ago. I was amazed how much it has changed since this time last year with all the new features and how many photos there are on it now. Keep up the good work and I hope things go from strength to strength.