New Version Of City Navigator ? 8

I was just trying to source out City Navigator with my IT Supplier... She called Garmin and got some resellers name for me... The Garmins salesperson had also mention that v8 of City Navigator North America is due out in 4-6 weeks ....

Do you know if you buy v7 now would you get a free update to v8 when it comes out? Thanks

Another question...

Is there an upgrade path (price) from mapsource city select 6 to version 8?

I origianlly bought version 4 then upgraded to 6. Thinking 8 might solve some issues I have.

I was just trying to source out City Navigator with my IT Supplier... She called Garmin and got some resellers name for me... The Garmins salesperson had also mention that v8 of City Navigator North America is due out in 4-6 weeks ....

Do you know if you buy v7 now would you get a free update to v8 when it comes out? Thanks

just spoke to a garmin dude...

they don't have an exact date,, except any week now...

According to the web site a free upgrade to 8.00 (the new one) will be available to people that purchase 7 on or after the release date of v8

the garmin dude said the time frame for a free upgrade was with 4 weeks of the v8 release.... He seemed kind of wishy washy on the time frame of free upgrade but was pretty clear that it would be available if you phoned Garmin requesting the free upgrade....

After the 4 week time frame it would be a pro rated upgrade fee..

Thanks for the information. I just got my 60csx and was thinking about City Navigator since Garmin told me it wouldn't work with MS Streets and Trips. I know of Garmins upgrade policies and heard wind that a new version was coming out and didn't want to fork out $$ for obsolete software.

Looks like I'll sit tight and wait

I can't find this software ANYWHERE! Is the only place to get it on line? I tried Rei, Gander Mountain, Mountain Outfitters, Walmart, no luck. Any suggestions on large retail locations that might have this?

I wish I could give you some encouragement, but I went through the same difficulty here in central Ohio just a couple of weeks ago. Not one retail outlet anywhere near here has it in stock. I wound up getting my copy from GPSNow.com, which (after checking the companies I trust with my money) had pretty much the best price (including shipping) at the time I ordered.

Yeesh... I just checked their Web site, and they've got City Navigator v7 marked as "back ordered" now. It makes me wonder whether stores are gradually clearing their shelves in anticipation of v8 coming out.... Then again, this is sheer speculation on my part.

HTH!

--Larry

I have another question relating to city select.

I first had version 4 and enjoyed the "upcoming street" names that would pop up when driving down the street when NOT navigating anywhere. When I upgraded to version 6 this still worked however, not on the navy base that I work on.

Previously on version 4, my navy base just looked liked regular roads. Version 6 darkened the whole navy base (like a park) and made the roads all dotted instead of solid. All the roads are still there but now, when I enter the base, the upcoming road names do not pop up anymore.

Very irritating for me since I do a lot of bicycle riding on base and I like to know the names of the upcoming roads.

Did anyone else notice this change? (probably not since not as many folks work on a navy base as elsewhere) but maybe if park roads did the same thing this effected others who frequent parks??

I first had version 4 and enjoyed the "upcoming street" names that would pop up when driving down the street when NOT navigating anywhere. When I upgraded to version 6 this still worked however, not on the navy base that I work on.

Did anyone else notice this change? (probably not since not as many folks work on a navy base as elsewhere) but maybe if park roads did the same thing this effected others who frequent parks??

My guess is that your version 4 was pre 911 and version 6 and beyond are post 911..... Military installations are probably grayed out to protect them from detailed terrorist planning.....

Well, they are greyed out but the roads are still there with names so I dont think security is the concern. Especailly since google maps has some pretty good photos of my base...LOL

My guess is that your version 4 was pre 911 and version 6 and beyond are post 911..... Military installations are probably grayed out to protect them from detailed terrorist planning.....