A Geocoin Needs To Be Geocaching Related?

cqdx

This whole attitude that geocoins need to be caching related is flawed. How many items in an actual geocache are caching related? Anything you find in a cache is geocaching related regardless of size, shape or ability to use. A geocoin is just that , an item that will be placed in a cache (or collection). The main driver of the sale of a coin is not that it is related but that it looks good and appeals to geocachers worldwide. For example I love golf, so I would buy a golf based geocoin IF THE DESIGN WAS GOOD. So to all you creative designers out there continue to produce any coin with any theme and if it is a good design it will sell.

Again what does a kazoo or a deck of Old Maid have to do with caching? It is caching related because I and others have found these types of trinkets in caches all over the world.

The difference is that kazoos in caches aren't called geokazoos and decks of cards aren't called geocards.

Really this issue has been beaten to death. Is there anything new to say?

I can see your avatar speaking these words as you type them... tee hee hee :(

YES!!! I won the bet that Kaelia and Hula bum would respond within 1 hour of my post! Time to make a geocoin to celebrate the event!

Speaking of you two, do I get the pleasure of meeting you at Geowoodstock?

(yawn)

At least have the decency to spell my name right.

Moving on to an interesting topic....

The difference is that kazoos in caches aren't called geokazoos and decks of cards aren't called geocards.

No, but they should be. I think anything even remotely connected to geocaching should start with geo-

Golf can be like caching especially when you lose a ball in the rough. Therefore it should now be called geogolf.

Now if you will excuse me I have to get back to geowork.

it suprises me that those that are not interested in the topic still click on it and read the content regardless.

If you have already stated your opinion elsewhere why even click.? I just wanted to state my opinion and have done so . Thanks for clicking.

I like the geogolf name.

Edited by gutcache

Ok, we've had our fun picking on each other, let's bring this dead horse back on topic. Maybe some newbies haven't taken the pony ride yet.

I'll start. If I find a geocoin in a cache I would hope it had something to do with caching. Otherwise just leave me a quarter, so I can spend it. If it says geocoin and has nothing to do with caching, I would probably leave it in the cache. That's just my opinion. I would like it to at least be related in some way to the geocacher who produced it.

I respect that opinion Eartha. We are all entitled to our own opinion and it is great that we can express it here. Just one question for you... If you look at your geocoin collection, which coin is the least related and why did you buy it?

If I make a personal coin and put say my other hobbies on the coin is it related or not? Sometimes it is a matter of interpretation.

Kaelia and Hila bum, are you still reading? :( you never answered about geowoodstock

Kaelia and Hila bum, are you still reading? :o you never answered about geowoodstock

Nice intentional spelling on both names - yes, it was noticed and no, it's not getting under my skin.

Quit trying to bait people - it's childish behavior.

You know that I have no interest in meeting you - let it go.

You want on topic? GEOcoins should be GEOCACHING related or they are just coins. You want to do a personal coin and put your other hobbies on it - fine. Lots of people do that. At least it relates to the CACHER and is not a coin with circus clowns (for example) on it and being passed off as a geocoin.

Thanks for weighing in there mate on TOPIC.

I will pose the same question to you and your wife. What is the least geocaching related coin in your collection? just curious.

I still think we should meet at some geocaching event. Would love to meet such opinionated people. I am dead serious but if you are against the idea I wont pursue it.

OK I'm not all that new, but I haven't been around all that long either. I'm wondering where the line is? For example Moun10Bikes coin has a mountain biker on one side, if he had not put the Geocaching symbol on the other side, yet still coined the term geocoin would it still fall under the category recognized now as GeoCoin? Or would it be a token or signature item?

What exactly is required for a metalic object to be called a GeoCoin?

Thanks for weighing in there mate on TOPIC.

I will pose the same question to you and your wife. What is the least geocaching related coin in your collection? just curious.

I still think we should meet at some geocaching event. Would love to meet such opinionated people. I am dead serious but if you are against the idea I wont pursue it.

Gutecach :o , you say opinionated like it is a bad word, I would say a more appropriate word would be principled, they both have clearly stated their opionion, and stand by it, nothing wrong with that, I even happen to disagree, but don't bait him, as he said, looks like your acting childish.

On topic,

I don't care if it's geocaching related or not, if I like it, I buy it, if I don't like it, I don't buy it.

The horse has for sure been beat to pulp.

As a geocoin collector, I would rather have the geocoins to be related to geocaching in some way. As a travelbug/geocoin mover, I think it's neat if the travelbug/geocoin is geocaching related somehow, but will still move the travelbug/geocoin if it is not geocaching related, if I can help it's goal.

--Marky

prntr1,

We seem to share the same opinion on wether or not we buy a geocoin.

We can agree to disagree on the word opinionated. I am opinionated and have never once said it was a bad thing , in fact I went the other way and stated I like to meet opinionated cachers.

Thanks for staying on the topic. and your spelling of my geoname is probably a better way to spell it. Some people think gut is related to a part of the body. It actually derives from my living in Germany for 2 years.

My favorite coin is the Absolute Caching coin, some people argue that a vodka bottle is not related, it is still my favorite coin

Edited by gutcache

.... favorite coin is the Absolute Caching coin, some people argue that a vodka bottle is not related, it is still my favorite coin

Ah, there we disagree. I kinda think that one sends the wrong message to some of our younger cachers, so I passed, but then again to each his own.

I see a Tombstone justice geocoin on Eba$ that has 16 bids and the price is going higher, not sure the connection to geocaching but bidders are expressing their interest.

As for the Absolute geocoin sending the wrong message, I see your point but how many kids recognize the bottle? Some would , most would not ( i hope )

Also the POW/MIA geocoin is not directly related but is still selling.

Edited by gutcache

My coin is Geocaching related! See! See! :o

Finally! My geocoin is now available for minting! This coin will come in Antique Silver and a Limited Edition Shiny Gold. This coin will be trackable and will feature it's own unique icon if demand is high enough!

GettingThere.JPG

The front of the coin showcases four of the different activities a geocacher may find himself doing on the way to his next cache. The cacher on this coin and the text ringing the outer perimeter of the coin are going to be raised and the darker areas of grey will be recessed for contrast. There will also be black filling the ring of the outer perimeter.

The question is: How will YOU get there?

The back of the coin features three trees along with a twist on a well known phrase. When someone “Can’t see the forest for the trees,” that indicates that they are too involved in the details of a problem to look at the situation as a whole. This twist reminds fellow geocachers that they may need to step back from the details and take another look and “See the forest for the trees.”

A total of 350 Antique Silver and 150 Limited Edition Shiny Gold coins are going to be produced. Preordering is made available to establish interest & as always: first come, first served. The cost per coin will be $7.50, for both Antique Silver and Shiny Gold. The shipping cost is based on the actual weight and there is a $2.00 handling fee per order (not per coin).

~ ~ ~ To preorder please go to my web page ~ ~ ~

Mandollyn's 1st Geocoin

The free market will ultimately decide if a 'coin' is a Geocoin or not. Adam Smiths invisible hand will work its way into the market. An Absolute coin or Dog coin will means different things to different people. Some will say neither is geocaching related. Others will defend each. Since I dont know the reason why some coins are made, I feel it is not my place to criticize others coins and make them defend them.

If they are trackable coins, they help Geocaching.com grow as the money goes towards the hobby I enjoy.

Edited by nielsenc

An indy 500 coin droped into a cache isn't geocaching related and will never be a geocoin.

A coin made about golf isnt' a geocoin and will never be a geocoin unless there is something to tie it in.

That something would be if you made a golf coin and it's your personal signature item. Or it's trackable on any past present or future geocaching site.

If it's not a signature item, and it's not trackable somehow, it dang well better be directly geocaching related or I won't be able to tell it apart from all the other coins in the world that aren't geocahcing related like the NRA coin I came across the other day.

I just know someone is going to come out with the "High Price of Gas" coin anyday now... :o

That's related, and even funny. One side could be a cacher by their nice new SUV eyes big in shock at the pump price and the other the terrorist/political thug he's funding.

Yeah, with each gallon you should now get your own personal adopted terrorist or political thug. They could send you a certificate and photo.

225px-Chavez_bandera.jpg

"Dear Gas Buyer, your SUV has made you a member of our elite club and your adopted politica thug is: "Hugo Rafael Chávez Frías is a political leader of a two bit country going down the tubes in spite of sitting on huge oil and gas reserves. Your contribution will keep him in power, help send his oil to China, and further weaken the economy and destroy the small middle class and drive the poor futher into poverty both here and there."

Ok maybe not so funny.