Scary Cache

I have been thinking about this for some time now. I want to do a cache that is considered scary. We have all been to "Haunted Houses" (the amusement kind) as kids and as adults and love that adrenaline rush of being scared.

I would like to do a cache that begins on halloween once it gets dark. You would be required to do this cache in costume. The cache would be a multi stage cache that involves traveling to spooky cache places along the way. The final cache container would contain coordinates to a costume party (the coordinates would be limited to 3-5) after that it would become a traditional cache (for those late commers). The cache would have to be limited for time meaning after halloween the final cache would still be there but would contain halloween themed objects.

I don't want to give my details away but one of my ideas for a cache spot would be an old wooden coffin out in the woods. Inside the coffin would be a volunteer in a scary costume laying holding on to one of the cache containers, when the cache seekers come by and go to reach for the container they will be surprised when the body doesn't want to let go of it so easily. I am sure you would have to put a note on the cache page that along the way seekers might encounter live actors and that they will not touch you and you can not touch them.

What are your thoughts on this? If it is considered too extreme for the offical geocach page I still might do it privatley by inviting some of my geocaching friends (sending them an invitation to a costume party with the instuctions and the first coordinate in the invitation)

I did a spooky halloween cache last halloween as a multi-cache. People were instructed to get to the given coordinates after dark, and find the first firetack as a starting point. From there, they were lead into the woods (which were filled with a scary moaning that reverberated from the inside of a hallow dead tree, and seemed to come from everywhere). The firetacks lead them deeper and deeper into the woods, and along the way they came across various body parts and some fake blood splatters. I also attached metallic objects (not sharp) to trees and branches that they would likely touch, and that would make a "non-woodsy" noise when they touched the branch it was attached to. At one point seekers were lead to climb over a big dead tree, and at the most likely spot to cross, I had hidden a life-sized skeleton on the ground on the far side. At the end point, they found a container with a new set of coordinates that took them to my house, where we had a bonfire going and food and drink.

It was a great time, and I want to do something similar every year from now on...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-9688977670e5

Jamie - NFA

I've considered something similar myself for halloween but since it would be temporary in nature - it won't be listed here. Maybe you could just do the "actors" a few days around halloween? That way GC would list it.

I did mine (the one listed above) as an event with the blessing and foreknowledge of our local approver. The event was at my house, and it was essentially a multi-stage event. I went back the next day to grab the props out of the woods, and left the firetacks in place as a regular night cache that I submitted shortly thereafter.

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Love this idea! Can you please tell me what firetacks are? Where do you get them? How many people showed up for your event and do you live in a small, medium or larger city - to judge what kind of turnout would be anticipated for this?

I just went and checked out the cache page - very impressive. (how do you get the background on a cache page by the way). May try to do this one myself.

Edited by lonesumdove
I did mine (the one listed above) as an event with the blessing and foreknowledge of our local approver. The event was at my house, and it was essentially a multi-stage event. I went back the next day to grab the props out of the woods, and left the firetacks in place as a regular night cache that I submitted shortly thereafter.

Thank you for adding that part, Jamie.

If the cache is not going to be permanent, it cannot be listed here. See the Cache Permanence guidelines for more information.

Setting it up as an Event Cache is a good suggestion, be sure to ask your reviewer if you have any questions.

Thank you for adding that part, Jamie.

If the cache is not going to be permanent, it cannot be listed here. See the Cache Permanence guidelines for more information.

Setting it up as an Event Cache is a good suggestion, be sure to ask your reviewer if you have any questions.

What if you kept the caches there but just didn't leave the party coordinates in the last cache?

Love this idea! Can you please tell me what firetacks are? Where do you get them? How many people showed up for your event and do you live in a small, medium or larger city - to judge what kind of turnout would be anticipated for this?

I just went and checked out the cache page - very impressive. (how do you get the background on a cache page by the way). May try to do this one myself.

Thanks! It was a ton of fun.

Firetacks are reflective tacks that stick into trees, I got them at the firetack website (try google).

About 10-12 people made it to the bonfire at my house...who knows how many didn't make it out of the woods :( .

I live in Lake Clear, NY...a tiny town near Lake Placid, NY in the Adirondack Park in upstate NY.

Jamie - NFA

as an alternative to firetacks, alot of outdoor stores (hunting mostly) have luminescent tape, that can be removed after the event. It is designed to stick on trees, so, hopefully, it wont come off. Just a thought.

And, I like the idea of this. There is a local cache here that does a train theme and, if you hit it on the right day, has an actual working model train, out in the woods. I havent hit upon it yet, but its on my to do list!