Eckington Reaction

I read this announcement with surprise earlier and was even more surprised there'd been no reaction on the forum. Well, this thread is for it. Post if you wish to <_<

Edit to say I'm off to bed now and won't be back online for a couple of days. Try not to get this thread locked while I'm away because I want to add a few words of support and thanks for the short fat chap myself, after a few other people have had their say. Ta!

Edited by Simply Paul

Having read Eckingtons post I have sent him an e-mail. However, I feel that a more public show of support is warranted. Regardless of Eckingtons reasons for taking a break, he has been a massive contributor to UK caching. I wish him well in resolving his personal matters and also hope that he will be happy to continue (at some point) providing a superb service to all of us UK cachers.

Perhaps more importantly, I hope that Eckington (or his alter-ego) will be able to continue to enjoy Geocaching, and I wish him lots of "happy caching".

Hope all goes well for you Ecks.

Nediam.

I would like to clarify that Eckington is taking a break, not resigning <_<

I was disappointed but not surprised when he told me his decision. He started reviewing at a difficult time for UK caching and dealt with the situation then admirably. He brought me into the picture some time later and since then I believe we have worked well together, your VERY kind words in another thread bear testimony to that.

He has been a source of help and advice to me and I shall be very sorry to see him take a back seat now.

However I won't be going anywhere for the forseeable future (apart from this weekend!) and you'll still be stuck with me :tired: . Obviously there will be an impact on review times and I shall have to make some changes in the process to try and speed things up. I'll be starting another thread about this when I have sorted it out.

So thanks for everything Dave, and please bear with me for the time being.

My reaction? Have a good break.

We can all take a break when things get busy at home. If we don't go caching for weeks, don't read the forum and generally get on with life, who notices?

However there are some people in a more public position that would get 'spotted' and it's a typically honourable move to ensure that we are all aware of his decision.

Personally I think that a great 'hue and cry' of 'don't leave us' would only serve to increase Eckington's discomfort with the decision. It must have been a tough enough decision. So my conclusion has to be 'have a good break - hope you feel ready to come back soon.

However I won't be going anywhere for the forseeable future (apart from this weekend!) and you'll still be stuck with me :( . Obviously there will be an impact on review times and I shall have to make some changes in the process to try and speed things up. I'll be starting another thread about this when I have sorted it out.

So thanks for everything Dave, and please bear with me for the time being.

Hope you enjoy your weekend .

Never understood the desire for caches to be published within minutes or even hours of being submitted .

So yet another cacher is hounded out by the vociferous minority. Why can't some people learn that not everyone is always going to agree with your point of view, and that there's a time when you've said all that needs to be said and you should let it drop?

I hope everyone involved is comfortable with their actions, which have left the UK caching community - hopefully temporarily - without the services of one of our well-respected reviewers.

Have a good break, Dave. I hope it won't be long before you feel able to return.

Peter: you and Dave are victims of your own success. As t.a.folk say, there's become a kind of expectation that caches will be reviewed quickly. This really isn't necessary, so no-one should care if you're sometimes unable to achieve the high standards you've set.

So yet another cacher is hounded out by the vociferous minority. Why can't some people learn that not everyone is always going to agree with your point of view, and that there's a time when you've said all that needs to be said and you should let it drop?

I hope everyone involved is comfortable with their actions, which have left the UK caching community - hopefully temporarily - without the services of one of our well-respected reviewers.

Have a good break, Dave. I hope it won't be long before you feel able to return.

Peter: you and Dave are victims of your own success.

I wanted to say something on this subject, but didn't know how to say it.

This sums up my feelings so DITTO from me.

Come back when you're ready, BUT MAKE IT SOON. :(

A sad day for geocaching :(

Peter: you and Dave are victims of your own success.

Well said Alan! I hope those responsible will reflect, not on whether their arguments were valid, but rather on how maturely they expressed themselves.

Wow - I was surprised to read that. Reading Eckington's post it seems that it's not just a knee-jerk reaction to that other recent thread, however, I feel sure that that was a contributory factor. Maybe this should serve as a reminder to us all to think carefully before hitting that "Add Reply" button. Sensible debate is good, but the forums need to be kept friendly and unheated.

It's good to read Lactodorum's post that this is a break, not a resignation. The break is well-deserved and I hope that Eckington enjoys it, and is able to use the extra time to get out caching. Hopefully it won't be *too* long before the Eckington/Lactodorum double-act is back in business.

Just a quick question - in the interim, are we going to be left with Lactodorum as a single reviewer/moderator/sensible grown up, or will we be seeing a greater contribution from the elusive Hydee?

Dave, have a great break and feel able to come back soon. Your contribution to UK caching is hugely appreciated.

Now can everyone please keep an eye out for someone with common sense as I think we have one remaining and could do with a spare.

And for the next trick, how about some hens teeth and rocking horse poo as well.

Richard

So yet another cacher is hounded out by the vociferous minority.

In these forums, it's just too easy for those of an outgoing and outspoken nature to influence the thoughts and deeds of lesser minded types, for whatever motives.

The silent majority now have to bear the loss (albeit temporarily) of what was one of the most valueable assets this sport of ours could ever have had.

Dave, I hope you return soon. :(

Jon

Have a good break Ecky, thanks for all the good work you have done and hopefully will do again soon(but not too soon, it's mean't to be a break).

Enjoy cacheing for a while without already knowing the final coords :(

Does this mean you are now in a position to sell the secrets of a few tricky caches? :ph34r:

Well i for one will miss you and wish you a good break and happy caching....

Come back soon as Lacto will now have to send me very nice emails telling me how stupid i am to place a cache in one county but put the co-ords in another.....

On a more serious note, you will be missed and i am gratefull for the tacfull emails you have sent me highlighting glaringly obvious mistakes i've made and will miss the little "ping" in my email box when i place a new listing.

All power to the work you guys do and the speed at which you do it.

Take care

Taz

TFB x

If this is down to some arschlochs, then I'm really sorry. The limited contact I had with Eckington was always polite, fair and timely.

Thinking about it, if I was spending my free time going through a load of new caches, some of which were bonkers, instead of getting out in the open I'd be going up the wall.

Big up to Eckiington.

I'm back home and free to add to this thread now.

So I'd like to say thanks to Dave for all his past efforts and help, wish him all the best for his well-deserved break and beg him to return ASAP as he's needed! :D

I'm going to lock this thread now as it's a few days old, but if anyone wants to add anything, let me know and I'll unlock it for you.