Venture Cx

I've just received my Venture Cx. To lay a long running controversy to rest: it is fully functional and you can download CD-based maps to it if you get a blank memory card (and a cable and/or card reader).

I invested an additional whopping $25 and got a 256 meg card and a card reader that comes with a USB cable (actually I already have more mini-USB cables than I know what to do with, but I did need an extra card reader <_<). So for the price of a Legend Cx you can get the same GPS (in yellow, regrettably) with much more memory, a bonus card reader, and a tank of fuel for your geocaching trips.

If I get around to playing with the thing, I will report on what the eTrex slum feels like for an eMap/60cs user <_<

Excellent news. The slightly stripped down version makes lots of sense for anyone who would immediately replace the small microSD card from the Legend anyway and has no need of the other included accessories. Good to know that Garmin didn't throw in any artificial limitations.

I've just received my Venture Cx. To lay a long running controversy to rest: it is fully functional and you can download CD-based maps to it if you get a blank memory card (and a cable and/or card reader).

I've finally looked at the documentation (I don't need no stinkin' documentation), and right on the cover both the quickstart guide and the manual says "for Venture Cx and Legend Cx". So I guess they don't make it a big secret that they're the same.

I can't seem to find much of a price difference here.

By doing a little searching I found the Legend Cx for $244 and the Venture Cx for $209.

So is the only difference the 32MB card or is that $35 costing you something else?

Kerecsen must have found a bigger price difference than I did. I can't get a tank of gas for $35 much less a tank of gas with a card reader and memory! <_<

Edited by GrnXnham

By doing a little searching I found the Legend Cx for $244 and the Venture Cx for $209.

So is the only difference the 32MB card or is that $35 costing you something else?

Kerecsen must have found a bigger price difference than I did. I can't get a tank of gas for $35 much less a tank of gas with a card reader and memory! <_<

But I think the point is that most people are going to buy a card bigger than 32M. I know when I get a Cx model, I plan to buy a 1G card and never use the undersize card that comes with it.

I bought a digital camera and a 1G card. I have yet to touch the 32M card that came with it.

Kerecsen must have found a bigger price difference than I did. I can't get a tank of gas for $35 much less a tank of gas with a card reader and memory! :tired:

The prices I saw last were 205 and 250, which is a $20 difference after the memory and the card reader. I agree that you need a very small car and have to live in the right region of the country for that to equal a tank of gas <_<

The difference between the Legend and the Venture is the 32 MB card (which most people will ditch immediately) and the USB cable (which comes with pretty much any computer-related product nowadays).

The difference is:

1. 32MB card - which I think now they're putting in 64MB cards.

2. USB cable

3. Garmin MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager software.

You can get a 64MB card on eBay for $10.00!

USB cable is about $12.00 - IF you don't have one already

The MapSource software is worthless if you're going to buy City Select.

45 - 22 = $23.00. That's about a 20% discount off of the City Select maps <_<

The difference is:

1. 32MB card - which I think now they're putting in 64MB cards.

2. USB cable

3. Garmin MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager software.

You can get a 64MB card on eBay for $10.00!

USB cable is about $12.00 - IF you don't have one already

The MapSource software is worthless if you're going to buy City Select.

45 - 22 = $23.00. That's about a 20% discount off of the City Select maps :rolleyes:

This is my assessment as well. 1GB microSD cards only cost around $45. The difference in price that I see between the Legend Cx and Venture Cx is $250 vs $205. If you're gonna buy a big card, you're probably going to buy the maps and get MapSource anyway. It looks like the cable connector on the Venture is just a regular mini B USB cable, which I already have for my camera and MP3 player.

Now my question is, how does the reception of the Legend/Venture Cx compare with the eXplorist line? Has anyone done a comparison? The eXplorists are about comparable with the SiRF-equipped Garmin x-Series in terms of reception. I was looking at the 60Cx, but Venture Cx is a whopping $160 cheaper.