Garmin 60cs Screen

I love my 60CS and it’s proved to be a valuable companion for the last two years.

Problem: I have it mounted via a windshield suction cup near the left window post and it stays-put while on rough roads, 4 wheeling, etc., but - I wear polarized sunglasses and the screen is hardly visible when the GPSR is shaded. I have the light set to full brightness and it still extremely difficult to see while navigating.

Any suggestions on how to make the screen more visible?

I love my 60CS and it’s proved to be a valuable companion for the last two years.

Problem: I have it mounted via a windshield suction cup near the left window post and it stays-put while on rough roads, 4 wheeling, etc., but - I wear polarized sunglasses and the screen is hardly visible when the GPSR is shaded. I have the light set to full brightness and it still extremely difficult to see while navigating.

Any suggestions on how to make the screen more visible?

Mount it sideways (so the polarizations line up). Or ditch your polarized glasses.

Mount it sideways (so the polarizations line up). Or ditch your polarized glasses.

what do you mean by mount it sideways?

If your problem is due to polarization cut-off, turning the glasses or the GPS to a different axial alignment (relative to one another) would change the effective polarization.

Try viewing your GPS under the same conditions using non-polarized sunglasses. I'd guess that the darkness of the sunglasses and car interior is too much of a contrast with the bright exterior light. If that's the case, try placing the GPS in a mount attach low on the dash (eg: near the HVAC vents or on the center console) and use an external antenna sitting on the dash.

GeoBC

what do you mean by mount it sideways?

The reason you don't see the screen with your glasses on is that the LCD emits polarized light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD). If put on your glasses and try rotating your GPS between portrait and landscape, you will notice that there will be an orientation where the LCD becomes completely invisible, and one where it will look quite good. If you can mount the GPS so it's facing in the "quite good" direction, you might get enough of an improvement that it becomes visible during your 4 wheeling.

Failing that, just get non-polarized glasses.

I know exactly what here is talking about, and I'm not even wearing polarized glasses. when it is sunny outside and the GPSr screen is not in direct light, even with the backlight all the way up it is still hard to see.

I think it all depends on the car your in, placement on windsheild and if the car has window tint. I have found a car with tint blocks allot of light coming in the car and makes the screen easier to read.

Edited by hogrod
Once you wear high quality polarized sunglasses you can never go back. My Revos cause a rainbow of colors on the screens of my cell, sirius radio and my gps. I am just in the habbit of looking over the top of the glases when I need to.

I agree with that. Some window tinting even causes it, now that is annoying. Definitely get used to it though.