Gps/laptop Power Adaptors

I want to use my Rino 120 handheld GPS hooked to my laptop (with MapSource TOPO) for real time tracking in my truck. I understand I need to download nRoute from Garmin to acheive this.

My question is, what is needed to power the laptop and to power the handheld in my truck? I have the PC interface cable for the Rino 120 and the cigarette lighter adapter for the Rino. I want to be able to keep the laptop charged and power the handheld at the same time. Is this possible? What do I need?

Thank you.

Joel

Visit a local camping supply store and get yourself a power inverter -- Coleman has a nice one out that costs about $30 (Coleman Powermate PMP400). Plug it into your cigarette lighter and it will give you 400watts of 120vAC power (two regular AC power outlets).

400watts is more than enough power to run a laptop and a charger or two and having standard AC power is easier than fishing around with a bunch of cigarette lighter adapters.

It's also handy for long trips with the family as you can power a portable DVD player.

Thanks for the tips.

After getting home and checking my (new) laptop, I see that there is no 9-pin connection on my laptop. :ph34r: Only USB ports. Now what???????????? Can I get something to use for real time tracking with my Rino??

YES!! It's called a USB-to-Serial Adapter available at most any computer place. :(

Thank you all. I have found everything I need. Take it easy.

Joel

If you haven't already bought your USB to serial adaptor, try to find a Belkin unit. I went through three different brand adapters before I found the Belkin, for some reason it works where the others don't. You might also try Gilsson, they make a USB --> serial adapter, but I haven't tried it.

** Update in case anyone out there is having similar issues:

I am up and running now. I have read on here that some folks were able to get their cheaper no-name-brand USB to Serial Adaptor to work for them. And I have also read that some folks have not. You can chalk me up as one that did NOT. The one I bought off of Ebay does not cut it. Even when the drivers were properly loaded, my laptop would still not recognize it. I more recently purchased one from Radio Shack, loaded the drivers, plugged it in, and it works with no hassles whatsoever. :laughing:

FWIW

Joel

[edit> Twilight Error: You can say "I told you so" if you'd like. LOL Good advice. I wish I had not already purchased the POS before your post.]

Edited by hughesj23

** Update in case anyone out there is having similar issues:

I am up and running now. I have read on here that some folks were able to get their cheaper no-name-brand USB to Serial Adaptor to work for them. And I have also read that some folks have not. You can chalk me up as one that did NOT. The one I bought off of Ebay does not cut it. Even when the drivers were properly loaded, my laptop would still not recognize it. I more recently purchased one from Radio Shack, loaded the drivers, plugged it in, and it works with no hassles whatsoever. :laughing:

FWIW

Joel

[edit> Twilight Error: You can say "I told you so" if you'd like. LOL Good advice. I wish I had not already purchased the POS before your post.]

Funny, the $39.99 one I bought from RS wouldn't work with my Meridian Color but the $5.99 one from ebay works fine.