Mapsource Help/information Needed

:anibad: ok, got a new GPS - decided to try the 76CSX (even if the compass is a little off) - I wanted something for getting me from point A to point B.

Please help if you can with these ??'s.

1. Does the whole map program fit or do you have to pick a region? For instance, i am going to Door County this weekend. Should I only put that portion in? Do I delete it then when I get home?

2. Once these maps are in, and I figure out how to load my waypoints (I have a ways to go to learn this thing :blink: ), will it show on the map the location of the geocaches along my way?

Please explain in simple terms how the Mapsource program and waypoints work together and some of the shortcuts or tricks you have used when planning to go to a city you don't know and find caches.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I really appreciate it! :lol:

:anibad: ok, got a new GPS - decided to try the 76CSX (even if the compass is a little off) - I wanted something for getting me from point A to point B.

Please help if you can with these ??'s.

1. Does the whole map program fit or do you have to pick a region? For instance, i am going to Door County this weekend. Should I only put that portion in? Do I delete it then when I get home?

2. Once these maps are in, and I figure out how to load my waypoints (I have a ways to go to learn this thing :blink: ), will it show on the map the location of the geocaches along my way?

Please explain in simple terms how the Mapsource program and waypoints work together and some of the shortcuts or tricks you have used when planning to go to a city you don't know and find caches.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I really appreciate it! :lol:

Lets see i f can answer some of your questions.

1. I assume that since you are traveling you want a program for car use. That would be City select or City Navigator. You probably cannot find City select, so City Nav will work. If you have the memory card that came with your unit you have 128 mb to play with. I am not familiar with Door County, but you should be able to get your whole state with 128 mb. The whole program (City Nav.) covers the US and Canada and IIRC is about 1.5 gigabytes.

2. You can load waypoints without maps (the two functions are independent). For geocaches there are programs that are available that are free or inexpensive that will allow you to load them en masse.

Edited by CenTexDodger

Thank you! Is my MapSource maps CD that came with my first GPS (Legend), not useful for city maps for my state? I am not kidding, I have no clue how to use this and really want to learn. I think City Nav is another hundred bucks or so? I would buy it if that is what I need, I was just hoping to use the MapSource CDs I already have.

I was just hoping to use the MapSource CDs I already have.

Are you talking about the "Trip & Waypoint Manager"? If so, then there is no transferrable map data in that program, and you would need to by the City Select or Navigator map software in order to get your GPS to properly autoroute.

After you buy it, CLICK HERE to download a free MapSource tutorial program which will show you how to get the maps into your GPSr.

Thank you! Is my MapSource maps CD that came with my first GPS (Legend), not useful for city maps for my state? I am not kidding, I have no clue how to use this and really want to learn. I think City Nav is another hundred bucks or so? I would buy it if that is what I need, I was just hoping to use the MapSource CDs I already have.

Each MapSource product has a product name. Is the one that came with your Legend Metroguide? I will assume that it is. It will work with your new unit, but you will not be able to Autoroute on the GPS unit itself (only on the computer). Autorouting is a really good feature of these units. Basically it tells you where to go!

I recommended City Nav because it will take full advantage of your units features.

It is MapSource Topo - orange box.

Alright. You can load topo maps into your 76. The roads are very dated in topo, and most are not labeled. It has very good landform info and will show some parks and campgrounds. As I already stated, it will not do aoutorouting, and it does not have a very extensive POI database. If you are hiking and such topo is what you need.

For reference you can put all of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming in 128mb.

I have Topo and use it and City Select in my 60cs.

If you are travelling to unfamiliar cities, i would strongly recommend a city/highway map product such as City Nav. The streets are fairly up to date, they are labeled and blocked (they have block #s).

It is MapSource Topo - orange box.

That will work fine in your new 76CSx and is very nice for hiking since it shows the elevation details. But the road information is very dated, many road names are not included, and it won't support auto-routing, i.e. figuring out the best way to get you from point A to point B.

Either CitySelect-NA or CityNavigator-NA provide much more up-to-date street/road information and support the auto-routing feature. These maps will also let you search for specific street addresses and many business locations are listed.

I'd highly recommend that you get one of those programs in addition to the TopoUS you already have. While not absolutely necessary for geocaching, it'll make your GPS much more useful for travel and driving. You may well want to load a combination of the two map types. I frequently use CitySelect while getting to a trailhead and then switch to TopoUS when hiking.

:anibad: okay, back to the sportsman's warehouse for more stuff - hate to see my credit card bill at the end of the month! So, the unit I picked can hold all that information, both the city streets and the topo maps. At least that is good news!

So, the unit I picked can hold all that information, both the city streets and the topo maps. At least that is good news!

Yes it will. Also something you might consider later on is getting a really high capacity Micro SD card (1 gig or larger) and putting all the maps you will need on it. That way, you don't have to change mapsets every time you decide to take a trip.

I am using a 60CS so I am restricted to 64 meg. With that said I can fit all of Idaho Utah and Montana on mine using City Select. That is because we do not have many large cities in our area. Now Topo is a different matter. there are a lot of elevation variations so the storage is bigger. The gib advantage the 60csx has is the ability to add a large memory card. This will allow you to load both topo and city select for a pretty large area, so you can load and forget.

Since I travel all the time for my work it means that each time I go home I have to load new maps for the area I will be traveling in. It would be much quicker if all I had to do was load the new waypoints.

I left work and was eager to purchase City Navigator, but, nobody sells it by me! I really wanted it for this weekend. At least I figured out how to get the waypoints on it, at first I was having problems with that. Nightstalker, I almost bought that unit, but it was not much cheaper than the 76CSX. So far, it seems like a nice GPS, I just have to figure out all the fancy details.

So, the unit I picked can hold all that information, both the city streets and the topo maps. At least that is good news!

Yes it will. Also something you might consider later on is getting a really high capacity Micro SD card (1 gig or larger) and putting all the maps you will need on it. That way, you don't have to change mapsets every time you decide to take a trip.

Just received a 60CSx with a 1G card and loaded City Select and US TOPO but now I can't figure out how to swith between Select and TOPO.

Took me quite a while before I figured it out also. Thats because I didn't ask that quesiton on the forums. Here is the short? answer. From the map page press <menu> <setup map> <menu> <hide City Select North America> <enter>. Repeat the process again except select <show city select> when you want to go back to that map.

One of the biggest complaints has always been that there was no easy quick way to jump between these maps. A toggle button would have been nice.

Took me quite a while before I figured it out also. Thats because I didn't ask that quesiton on the forums. Here is the short? answer. From the map page press <menu> <setup map> <menu> <hide City Select North America> <enter>. Repeat the process again except select <show city select> when you want to go back to that map.

One of the biggest complaints has always been that there was no easy quick way to jump between these maps. A toggle button would have been nice.

Thanks, I wasn't going down to the next level of setup.