Custom Poi Icons?

On my Garmin VIsta Cx there i s a section for custom POI/waypoint icons. I can't find any way of uploading custom icons through the waypoint manager program that came with the unit. How do I do it?

What I want to do is add the icons for multi-caches, virtual caches, etc. so I can identify them on the map. Is there any way I will be able to get GSAK to automatically assign the custom icons once I've loaded them? There seems to be no options in GASK for custom icons..............

Thanks for any help!

You load custom icons using Garmin's xImage that is a free download from Garmin's website. To get these to work with your custom POIs, the icons must have the same file name as your POI file such as "My_POIs.csv", with "My_POIs.bmp", and contained in the same folder. There has been discussions on the forum on this so perhaps someone with more knowledge will step in or Markwell it.

You load custom icons using Garmin's xImage that is a free download from Garmin's website.

Great, thanks I'll go get it.

To get these to work with your custom POIs, the icons must have the same file name as your POI file such as "My_POIs.csv", with "My_POIs.bmp", and contained in the same folder. There has been discussions on the forum on this so perhaps someone with more knowledge will step in or Markwell it.

Any idea how that would work with GSAK? I use GSAK to give my waypoints sensible names rather than just the geocaching six-digit code. GSAK knows from the .GPX file what sort of cache it is, but I'm still not clear how I would get it to use the custom icons.

Any idea how that would work with GSAK? I use GSAK to give my waypoints sensible names rather than just the geocaching six-digit code. GSAK knows from the .GPX file what sort of cache it is, but I'm still not clear how I would get it to use the custom icons.

You would use GSAK to name and save all your Geocaches to one big .gpx file with whatever name you want. Let's say you name your file "Geocaches.gpx you then have to have a .bmp file with the same name in the same directory. So you would need a Geocaches.gpx, and a Geocaches.bmp .

This will make it so all of the geocaches stored in this one .gpx will all get the custom icon of Geocaches.bmp .

You can download this file as an example.

AlphaGraphics POI

it uses a .csv file named AlphaGraphics.csv, and then a AlphaGraphics.bmp custom icon file. Of course you don't really want all the AlphaGraphics (print shops) but the next time you use POI loader to load your file it will just overwrite whatever is there.

Good Luck..

kgag.

Edited by kgag

Either I'm being extremely dense and not understanding the reply, or I'm not expressing my problem clearly enough.

I have a .gpx file with the 100 caches closes to my home coordinates, downloaded from geocaching.com through a PQ. This file contains a mixture of traditional, multi, virtual, etc.

I have uploaded waypoint icons to my Vista Cx so that I have a multi-cache icon at custom position "Waypoint Symbol 000" on the device.

When I upload my .gpx file to the GPS through GSAK, how do I tell it to automatically use "Waypoint Symbol 000" for a multi-cache rather than the default geocache symbol?

Edited by HooloovooUK

You will have to have seperate POI files for each type of cache you have if you want them to have different icons.

So you will need a:

traditional.gpx, and traditional.bmp

multi.gpx, and multi.bmp

virtual.gpx, and virtual.bmp

having all of these files in the same directory is enough for the POI loader to know that you want to load all the files..

kgag

Edited by kgag

The solution you're providing is for POIs.

If you have less than 1000 caches, don't use POIs. Use the simple export from GSAK. I'm exporting to MapSource, and from MapSource to the GPSr, but that's the same as exporting directly from GSAK to the GPSr (there's a "GPS Symbols" association menu when exporting).

POIs will only do you good if you have more than 1000 waypoints (POIs are not supported by the geocache mode, so they won't be considered as geocaches, therefore no "Found", "Note" etc buttons).

If you have less than 1000 caches, don't use POIs. Use the simple export from GSAK. I'm exporting to MapSource, and from MapSource to the GPSr, but that's the same as exporting directly from GSAK to the GPSr (there's a "GPS Symbols" association menu when exporting).

I'm only trying to upload the 100 closest caches to home, so waypoints should be okay.

There is no export to garmin in GSAK. The only options I have under the GPS menu are "Export to Magellan eXplorist" and "Export to Lowrance USR".

I have been using the "Send Waypoints" option in the GPS menu. I can set that up for different icons depending on cache type, but it only shows me the default icons not the custom icons. I need to tell it to use "Waypoint Symbol 000" which is not on the list.

To send (export) to the GPS, click GPS, "send waypoints".

Yeah I've got that far. I can get waypoints on the GPS I'm just trying to get the icons to show correctly.

I found this web page: http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm

I've now got custom icons showing up in GSAK and I'm configuring them how I want. I'll then try uploading the waypoints again and see if it actually worked......

I don't remember the URL, but there's information somewhere on how to tell GSAK to use custom symbols (they show in my list of icons when I associate them). I'll try to find it.

Woohoo! It worked!!

Of course, only "traditional caches" show up in the geocache list, all the rest show up as normal waypoints. But I'm happy to accept that compromise in order to allow me to see the cache type straight from the map.

Maybe in a future firmware update they'll put in an option to allow multiple icons to be assigned as geocaches.

Thanks for your help everyone!