Do You Carry Any Sort Of Protection?

I dont carry yet but we are going for our CCW's in the next few months. (will be carrying a Beretta 92FS 9mm with 18round mag loaded with 147 gr hollow points)

Hollow points? Are you the threat or the solution? If you are that paranoid on the trail, you really need to find another hobby.

I ALWAYS carry a multi tool and at least one good knife (one hand opening).

Good idea, has many uses especially in caching.

The littlest gnome even has a decent knife to carry on cache hunts and hes 11!

With luck, he is trained to use it. Since he is old enough to join, maybe through scouts? Of course the first thing they will teach him is the proper situations to use a knife.

A knife (like a gun) is a TOOL, a tool is only as dangerous as the person holding it. It is also as helpful as the person holding it. Ive personally had to show a bladed weapon twice for protection, both times the sight, or knowledge, of it has ended the confrontation and all parties walked away unharmed.

example 1 - at the age of 14 while walking down a trail (alone) when visiting some friends, and approaced by a group of other youths that started this encounter by throwing rocks and picking up limbs along the trail. this same group of boys had previously threatened me. I displayed a balisong and they moved along quickly off the trail.

Irresponsible, not to mention illegal.

example 2 - I was working at night at a pizza place, and we were involved in an attempted robbery. The thief tried to snag my shirt/apron and drag me over the counter with one hand while the other held a 3" fixed blade. I dodged and drew my own knife and slashed at the thiefs hand as they tried to reach over the counter to grab me again. The other person working that night was on the phone in seconds calling 911.

Was the money in the register worth that much?

Its not the tool that is dangerous, its the evil doers in the world that you have to be prepared for. If your not prepared, your deluded.

Another equally amusing and applicable bumper sticker goes "Just 'cuz you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you"

:anicute:

you are looking for some tupperware, its not going to hurt you.

i dont object to taking a multi-tool with you. but a freaking gun. you guys are nuts

Umm, maybe it's that mentality that helped along the laws preventing citizens of your country from owning firearms. Last I heard your government was after your swords and knives as well.

Ever notice the bad guys still have their weapons?

I dont carry yet but we are going for our CCW's in the next few months. (will be carrying a Beretta 92FS 9mm with 18round mag loaded with 147 gr hollow points)

I ALWAYS carry a multi tool and at least one good knife (one hand opening).

The littlest gnome even has a decent knife to carry on cache hunts and hes 11!

A knife (like a gun) is a TOOL, a tool is only as dangerous as the person holding it. It is also as helpful as the person holding it. Ive personally had to show a bladed weapon twice for protection, both times the sight, or knowledge, of it has ended the confrontation and all parties walked away unharmed.

example 1 - at the age of 14 while walking down a trail (alone) when visiting some friends, and approaced by a group of other youths that started this encounter by throwing rocks and picking up limbs along the trail. this same group of boys had previously threatened me. I displayed a balisong and they moved along quickly off the trail.

example 2 - I was working at night at a pizza place, and we were involved in an attempted robbery. The thief tried to snag my shirt/apron and drag me over the counter with one hand while the other held a 3" fixed blade. I dodged and drew my own knife and slashed at the thiefs hand as they tried to reach over the counter to grab me again. The other person working that night was on the phone in seconds calling 911.

Its not the tool that is dangerous, its the evil doers in the world that you have to be prepared for. If your not prepared, your deluded.

(thus ends my rant on self preservation)

I'm not opposed to carrying anything you feel you need for protection. But just to comment on your choice of blades. If you actually do know how to fight with a knife you'll understand that a balisong, or a pocket knife, or a multi-tool knife are just going to get you hurt. They are lowsy choices for fighting because they have no hand guard. You may be lucky in scaring off your attacker, you may be lucky in getting in a slash. A good buck knife, AF survival knife, something with a hand guard on it and the blade doesn't fold. They are generally not illegal (like a balisong or switch blade) and much more useful as both a tool (can cut down a tree if you need to) or for protection, you won't slice yourself up and it's much less likely to break and/or slip on you.

A knife in untrained hands is much more dangerous to the person using it then it is to the person attacking. I hope you are trained, and I hope if you 11 year old is carrying it for protection, that he is trained as well.

Good luck on your caching.

you are looking for some tupperware, its not going to hurt you.

i dont object to taking a multi-tool with you. but a freaking gun. you guys are nuts

Umm, maybe it's that mentality that helped along the laws preventing citizens of your country from owning firearms. Last I heard your government was after your swords and knives as well.

Ever notice the bad guys still have their weapons?

I heard that about scotland as well... in Glasgow last year they had 8 deaths by shooting, and 72 by various types of blades including samuri type swords and machettes. Ok, so if I were to choose a way to die? I'd rather die by getting shot than hacked to pieces with a machette.

Back on topic? I carry a blade while caching, mostly as a tool, but one that can be used for protection when needed.

Is there any sort of protection one can use for snakes?

Snake bites are usually from the knee down, or on the hands and arms, so just the common sense stuff. Wear jeans or other heavy pants (good protection from brush too), over boots. Carry a walking stick, about as long as your height, use this to turn over items on the ground as well as for balance on uneven terrain. Leather gloves are also a good idea, OK to keep these tucked into hip pocket until needed.

Please note, above precautions not required when caching in urban areas, except in parks near water or unmowed areas.

If you are in the Continental United States, or Alaska (don't know about Hawaii) we have no poisonous snakes that will actively pursue anybody. Some will stand their ground quite assertively. A snake that strikes at your foot or hand is NOT attacking, it is defending itself.

Carrying a gun against snakes is a great way to shoot yourself in the foot, or to cause a ricochet or rock chunk to hurt you, or someone else in your immediate vicinity.

If you carry snake shot (I do, first two rounds up in my revolver) be sure to "pattern" with it before you decide to carry it, particularly in a snubby. At any range more than a few feet the pattern is appallingly bad, with openings big enough for almost any snake to be missed.

The only place I go when I know I will really need to be armed is the local pistol range. I carry lots of other times, but only where it is legal for me to do so. That lets out all the National Parks, but I am told that they don't like geocaches either.

If you are in serious bear country, consider a .454 or 500 revolver, or better yet, carry a gun big enough to hunt bears with, and hope you don't need it. .380s and .32s may be fine for discouraging bad guys, but no wild animal that I know of is going to alarmed by the mere sight of a gun.

Consider the odds, compare the chances of needing to protect yourself with your gun, compared to the odds of being in some sort of minor incident where the greatest danger is to reveal your improperly carried weapon to Law Enforcement. I got my first driver's license in 1950. Since then I've been in three MVAs where my gun or guns have come to the attention of law enforcement. In each case I was legal. I have a long funny story about one of those incidents, but it is not on topic. Yet, outside of military service, I have had only one (01) incident where I had to fire my weapon in defense of myself or my family. It was a "righteous" shoot, but I regret it deeply. Don't ask.

I haven't done much geocaching yet, but I've been a rifle and/or pistol and/or personal defense instructor since 1955. When I go out geocaching, I will carry my really neat tiger-maple walking stick for "defense" against falling, and for poking around in snaky places. Used it last week to "assist" a cotton-mouth water moccasin that was slow in crossing a road. I'll also have my Leatherman (16hrs/7days) and a SureFire flashlight, (24/7). If I feel I need to carry a firearm for self defense, I'll go geocache someplace else.

Don't get me wrong, I love guns, love to shoot. But, I see geocaching as a somewhat quieter sport.

Hollow points? Are you the threat or the solution? If you are that paranoid on the trail, you really need to find another hobby.

Why so? Sounds like he is being responsible. Hollow points fragement when they strike a target and practically disintigrate. A "normal" bullet would most likely pass right through a target, and/or riochet off a hard object. It might travel hundreds of feet and strike an innocent bystander.

There is only one legitimate reason for ANYONE (citizen, cacher, police, military, whatever) to pull the trigger on another human being. That is TO STOP A LETHAL THREAT. If you ever NEED to pull that trigger, you want to stop the threat, and not harm innocent people. If you must pull the trigger, hollow point bullets are the best choice for stopping the threat with the least chance of injuring others; which is why vitually all police and many hunters use them.

In other words, they are generally the best bullet to use if you are carrying a gun for protection while geocaching.

Edited by Mopar

I'm not opposed to carrying anything you feel you need for protection. But just to comment on your choice of blades. If you actually do know how to fight with a knife you'll understand that a balisong, or a pocket knife, or a multi-tool knife are just going to get you hurt. They are lowsy choices for fighting because they have no hand guard. You may be lucky in scaring off your attacker, you may be lucky in getting in a slash. A good buck knife, AF survival knife, something with a hand guard on it and the blade doesn't fold. They are generally not illegal (like a balisong or switch blade) and much more useful as both a tool (can cut down a tree if you need to) or for protection, you won't slice yourself up and it's much less likely to break and/or slip on you.

A knife in untrained hands is much more dangerous to the person using it then it is to the person attacking. I hope you are trained, and I hope if you 11 year old is carrying it for protection, that he is trained as well.

Good luck on your caching.

I agree, at the ripe old age of 14 I thought the balisong (balisongs arent illegal in Michigan but the switches still are) was pretty nifty. I have since refined my tastes quite a bit, I still carry a couple locking blade knifes (mostly as tools, Im a nail biter from WAY back and these things help alot). For any serious backwoodsing (is that even a word?) I use either a 11" bowie style knife or an 8" AF survival pattern.

My sons knife is tool based and he only carries it while caching with me.

I on the other hand, have had some knife training and feel comfortable with using one if the need arises (although I would personally prefer to be many miles away if the option is available).

The Laughing Gnomes

Why so? Sounds like he is being responsible. Hollow points fragement when they strike a target and practically disintigrate. A "normal" bullet would most likely pass right through a target, and/or riochet off a hard object. It might travel hundreds of feet and strike an innocent bystander.

There is only one legitimate reason for ANYONE (citizen, cacher, police, military, whatever) to pull the trigger on another human being. That is TO STOP A LETHAL THREAT. If you ever NEED to pull that trigger, you want to stop the threat, and not harm innocent people. If you must pull the trigger, hollow point bullets are the best choice for stopping the threat with the least chance of injuring others; which is why vitually all police and many hunters use them.

In other words, they are generally the best bullet to use if you are carrying a gun for protection while geocaching.

Thanks Mopar, you saved me from having to answer that question myself. :anicute:

Thats exactly why the Hollow Points, of course most anti-firearms people only hear hollow point, and think the person that says it is somehow a lunatic. Its not that they are rampant wackos, its just that they are uninformed. Ive personally converted 1 anti-gunner and one fence sitter, and they've both become bigger firearms enthusiasts then myself. (hope this isnt construed as pro-gun/anti-gun by the mods) just rambling a little bit here.

anyways.........

Back on Topic

gees 3 in a row!

Ive also been looking into purchasing a treking pole as Im sure they would come in handy with difficult terrain. Ive also found myself on more then one occasion looking for a stick to poke into some area I didnt want to put my hand, AND looking for a stick to carry in front of me to knock down spider webs I didnt want to eat while bushwacking.

I'm A Member of the NRA and the CPRA, and that Ammo is a bit much to be carrien. i know that has been outlawed here in LA, CA for some time hell we can't even have the 18 round clip. if you really are going for a CCW then think about anything around you and change the Cop kill rounds to a soft target round. i mean how many freaks in full body armor are you going to meet Geocaching. i don't have a CCW and when i was a cab driver here in LA, CA i had a snub-nose 38 Tores. it had a 5 round carasel and was hammerless. i had black talends in it cuz i had to shoot through a devider if i was going to shoot, i didn't think i would need more then 5 shots. i thought if i had to use it, i would shoot and eather i was going to be dead or the guy shooting at me was going to be dead. so keep all that in mind. and if you carry a CCW remember to read everything that says when and where you can have it. the last thing you want is to go through all that work to get a CCW and then get arrested for the carring in the wrong place at the wrong time.

gees 3 in a row!

Ive also been looking into purchasing a treking pole as Im sure they would come in handy with difficult terrain. Ive also found myself on more then one occasion looking for a stick to poke into some area I didnt want to put my hand, AND looking for a stick to carry in front of me to knock down spider webs I didnt want to eat while bushwacking.

i scrub my hands all the way up to my elbows after Caching for this same reason.

Edited by b1rdbrain

I'm A Member of the NRA and the CPRA, and that Ammo is a bit much to be carrien. i know that has been outlawed here in LA, CA for some time hell we can't even have the 18 round clip. if you really are going for a CCW then think about anything around you and change the Cop kill rounds to a soft target round. i mean how many freaks in full body armor are you going to meet Geocaching.

Again, hollow points are the best rounds to carry for protection (while geocaching or anyplace else). Cop killers? Gimme a break!

Shooting through body armor? Pa-lease! Hollow point bullets are about the only thing most so called bullet-proof vests WILL stop.

Not only are hollow points legal most places, but for reasons I stated above are actually encouraged by LEO to use for self-defense. I would go into the silly high capacity ban LA has too (it's perfectly ok to shoot 11 bullets and then spend 2 seconds to reload but don't you dare shoot 15!), but that would be off topic. :anicute:

I'm A Member of the NRA and the CPRA, and that Ammo is a bit much to be carrien. i know that has been outlawed here in LA, CA for some time hell we can't even have the 18 round clip. if you really are going for a CCW then think about anything around you and change the Cop kill rounds to a soft target round. i mean how many freaks in full body armor are you going to meet Geocaching. i don't have a CCW and when i was a cab driver here in LA, CA i had a snub-nose 38 Tores. it had a 5 round carasel and was hammerless. i had black talends in it cuz i had to shoot through a devider if i was going to shoot, i didn't think i would need more then 5 shots. i thought if i had to use it, i would shoot and eather i was going to be dead or the guy shooting at me was going to be dead. so keep all that in mind. and if you carry a CCW remember to read everything that says when and where you can have it. the last thing you want is to go through all that work to get a CCW and then get arrested for the carring in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also an NRA member here.

The "Cop kill rounds" you mention wouldnt be hollow points, as hollow points tend to flatten out when hitting a hard object (like body armor) I believe what you thinking of, is armor piercing rounds, which I dont even think they make for a 9mm.

Thanks for the advice on location awareness I do know there are quite a few locations where its still not permissable even with a CCW. National Parks come to mind but again they dont like caches either. I am not looking to do this only for caching, its just that caching would be another time where it MIGHT be a good idea depending on location/situation.

To try and drag my comments back on topic, the reason I prefer hollow points for carry is the lack of overpenetration they offer. What that means is if i run across a predator (not snakes) and I have no choice but to use my firearm, ALL of the energy will be applied to the target by the bullet flattening out, instead of using a standard round nose bullet which would pass THROUGH the target (thus wasting energy) and possibly become a hazard for someone standing downrange of my fired shot.

The Laughing Gnomes

p.s. If this thread developes much farther to the gun choice topic vs the do you carry "protection" topic I may start one in off topic to carry on with it....

If folks are licensed and trained then I don't care if they carry or not. I don't own a handgun. I'm also not licensed to carry one so there is no way I would chance being found in violation.

When I'm carrying my caching bag there's a Leatherman in it but I don't carry it on my belt. On some caches I take my dogwood stick. It's a pretty nice stick and it works well for "thumping" in brush, turning rocks, "persuading" snakes, and keeping me from falling on my butt. The latter has actually been my biggest use of the stick.

Only once did I wish I was carrying. Three large dogs were at the base of a bluff snarling and running back and forth trying to find a way up to where I was. These dogs were NOT playing around and appeared to have nasty ideas about chewing me up big time. At one point I thought they were going to make it up the hill and was looking for the best place to put my back against the hillside so I could use my stick for defense. Who knows. The stick might have been enough to dissuade the dogs but I wasn't at all confident of that being the case. At that moment I understood EXACTLY why some folks prefer to carry firearms while caching.

At that moment I understood EXACTLY why some folks prefer to carry firearms while caching.

It really does matter WHERE your caching. If your out in the boonies, in the US it could be anything from feral dog packs/coyotes/wolves, bears, mountain lions, heck even a severly ticked-off rabbit. Or if your more urban it might be dog packs, rats larger then dogs, or even 2 legged predators that are intent on seperating you from your possessions, or worse yet you from your family (permanently).

The Laughing Gnomes

If you carry snake shot (I do, first two rounds up in my revolver) be sure to "pattern" with it before you decide to carry it, particularly in a snubby. At any range more than a few feet the pattern is appallingly bad, with openings big enough for almost any snake to be missed.

I carry a couple of snake loads up front, on my own property. Before I walked the property, I put down a layer of paperback books (not very good ones) and experimented with the spread at various distances from my right boot. I certainly observed what you describe. Still, having spanged a few .22 rounds off the target clip on the indoor range (I confess it: I'm a merely adequate shot), I'm terrified of ricochet. Especially from a larger round. Especially at close range. I figured shot-shells were going to be better than my stick, if push came to shove.

Rattlers where I come from are shy, but I've seen and heard about aggressive behavior from copperheads and cottonmouths. Or maybe it wasn't aggressive it just looked spooky...but, honestly, that's good enough for me. Call me speciesist.

I have a small gun collection, but they're sitting locked up in the basement, virtually untouched since I discovered that I enjoyed the "getting outdoors" part more so than following the seasons and regulations for hunting animals. I'm only hunting tupperware now, and I figure the odds are better that I'd shoot myself in the foot while reaching for a cache in some awkward position, vs. actually being in a situation where I would need a gun for personal protection AND be justified in using it.

In my 2000 or so cache hunts, I've been in exactly *one* situation where I was justified in using force for self-defense. I don't think I would have been justified in using deadly force. So, with those odds, I am comfortable geocaching with trekking poles and pepper spray as my personal protection. I would have been justified in using either of those in the one bad encounter I had. As luck would have it, a right uppercut was sufficient to defuse the situation. :anicute:

I have a small gun collection, but they're sitting locked up in the basement, virtually untouched since I discovered that I enjoyed the "getting outdoors" part more so than following the seasons and regulations for hunting animals. I'm only hunting tupperware now, and I figure the odds are better that I'd shoot myself in the foot while reaching for a cache in some awkward position, vs. actually being in a situation where I would need a gun for personal protection AND be justified in using it.

In my 2000 or so cache hunts, I've been in exactly *one* situation where I was justified in using force for self-defense. I don't think I would have been justified in using deadly force. So, with those odds, I am comfortable geocaching with trekking poles and pepper spray as my personal protection. I would have been justified in using either of those in the one bad encounter I had. As luck would have it, a right uppercut was sufficient to defuse the situation. :anicute:

Note to self : Dont ever tick off a Kung Fu Hamster

Also an NRA member here.

The "Cop kill rounds" you mention wouldnt be hollow points, as hollow points tend to flatten out when hitting a hard object (like body armor) I believe what you thinking of, is armor piercing rounds, which I dont even think they make for a 9mm.

Thanks for the advice on location awareness I do know there are quite a few locations where its still not permissable even with a CCW. National Parks come to mind but again they dont like caches either. I am not looking to do this only for caching, its just that caching would be another time where it MIGHT be a good idea depending on location/situation.

To try and drag my comments back on topic, the reason I prefer hollow points for carry is the lack of overpenetration they offer. What that means is if i run across a predator (not snakes) and I have no choice but to use my firearm, ALL of the energy will be applied to the target by the bullet flattening out, instead of using a standard round nose bullet which would pass THROUGH the target (thus wasting energy) and possibly become a hazard for someone standing downrange of my fired shot.

The Laughing Gnomes

p.s. If this thread developes much farther to the gun choice topic vs the do you carry "protection" topic I may start one in off topic to carry on with it....

i had "Black Talends" they where hollow pionts too but they had the tephlon coating. and thats what made them go through a vest. they also make a nylon coating that will also go through a vest also a hollow point.

all you need is whats called a soft round. they fragment on brick walls but will stop a person in one shot. these rounds are to protect the people around the target. like here in Reseda a little girl was shot through a wall with a hollow point and killed in a drive by shooting. she was asleep in her own bed during the shooting.

i personaly hate all kinds of Gun Conrtol but if you are going to Carry then Carry safe. think of everyone around you're target not just the target and don't say that hollow points stay inside a person most gun fights take place in a 10 foot range or less a hollow point will make an exit wound the size of you're fist and that round needs to go some place.

as a geocacher i do not carry anything. when i was a secerity guard i never carried anything i only carried when i drove a cab and belive me i protect my home. just think of whats behind you're target if you are going to carry.

In my 2000 or so cache hunts, I've been in exactly *one* situation where I was justified in using force for self-defense. I don't think I would have been justified in using deadly force. So, with those odds, I am comfortable geocaching with trekking poles and pepper spray as my personal protection. I would have been justified in using either of those in the one bad encounter I had. As luck would have it, a right uppercut was sufficient to defuse the situation. :rolleyes:

that happened to me one time. i think the guy is still in jail and still can't walk straight and i had only my hands to defend myself. i broke his leg in 3 places. man that was fun. he tried to sue me but the judge through it out of court. :laughing:

Edited by b1rdbrain

I like my small, light weight S&W 357. I carry different loads depending on the situation. For caching I like snake shot for the first three. Hollow points to follow. Easy carry in the fanny pack. My first choice would be to try and remove myself from any bad situation.

i had "Black Talends" they where hollow pionts too but they had the tephlon coating. and thats what made them go through a vest. they also make a nylon coating that will also go through a vest also a hollow point.

ah yeah I remember the Black Talons when they first came out, those have been pulled from every state that Im aware of.

all you need is whats called a soft round. they fragment on brick walls but will stop a person in one shot. these rounds are to protect the people around the target. like here in Reseda a little girl was shot through a wall with a hollow point and killed in a drive by shooting. she was asleep in her own bed during the shooting.

I think what you are talking about is called a safety slug. I know that Glaser makes one type (there are other manufacturers Im sure)

i personaly hate all kinds of Gun Conrtol but if you are going to Carry then Carry safe. think of everyone around you're target not just the target and don't say that hollow points stay inside a person most gun fights take place in a 10 foot range or less a hollow point will make an exit wound the size of you're fist and that round needs to go some place.

as a geocacher i do not carry anything. when i was a secerity guard i never carried anything i only carried when i drove a cab and belive me i protect my home. just think of whats behind you're target if you are going to carry.

I couldnt agree with you more. If you MUST use a firearm in self defense be aware of not only the consequences of that action on the target but also those around you/behind the target, even if you cant see them.

As a member of law enforcement I have found that my most valuable weapon is actually... my mind. Being smart about the situation is the key.

However for those times when you are forced to use practical protection against an aggressor pepper spray works wonders. :D

I can vouch for pepper spray with a cs mix. Upon reaching my 18th year, the youngest age it was legal to buy some. I bought not one but 2 canisters of a truly evil mix. I figured Id have one for defense, but I wanted to KNOW that it would work, so like a complete numbskull I sprayed myself (in my (parked) car no less) and had to stagger into the house to wash out my eyes and drink some water. Then it took me the better part of an afternoon to clean all the spray residue out of the car while trying not to inhale it.

Thank God you get smarter as you mature...

:ph34r::D:DB)B)B):laughing:B):rolleyes::D

As a member of law enforcement I have found that my most valuable weapon is actually... my mind. Being smart about the situation is the key.

Very true.

However for those times when you are forced to use practical protection against an aggressor pepper spray works wonders. :rolleyes:

So, your department issues pepperspray instead of sidearms?

Even Mayberry's Barney Fife was allowed a gun and ONE bullet. :laughing:

Now I guess theres nowhere to escape gun violence.

I have the same problem with ignorant people.

I carry my wits and common sense and stay away from those parts of town. I also carry a healthy dose of manners and politeness that does wonders when out in the hills.

I also try not to pass judgement on others.... you would do well to learn that.

and when all else fails a nice glock 19 with Hydra shock is the last resort.

Edited by willy_j

I like to take this along. It helps to clear debris away from those ammo cans.

c3957bfb-009c-4d28-8914-d5c8cac08227.jpg

Actually, I have had a CCW for 10 years, and I rarely carry when caching. When I do, I have the choice of a 9mm Firestar plus or a .357. Both are loaded with Hydro-Shoks. :laughing:

Edited by H2OBob

I do not own a gun at the moment, there is a big part of me that would like a gun, but I have asked myself just what am I going to do with it? I do not feel the need to use it for protection. I do not hunt (at the moment, I have no desire to carry/drag it back to the truck or clean it, sounds to much like work) I could get in too competition shooting, but at the moment I have come to the conclusion that I will not spend the money on a gun as there are other things that I want to do with my money. In the years ahead I just might take up competition shooting, or may even change my mind on hunting, and then a gun will make sense.

So as asked what do I carry for protection? Nothing! In my 42 years on this planet I can not recall a single time where I even felt threatened to the point I needed any weapon.

I realize that could change at anytime. I Suppose I could learn self defense.

I do recall one incident years ago that I was going to pick up the young lady that I was dating (She is now my wife) As I got out of my car in front of her house there were two guys that were in the street (Two houses from where I was) one in his car the other (Standing next tot he car) had a baseball bat. I did spot the bat but did not think to much of it at first, but did, keep an eye on them. As I got to the house he guy in the car left, the guy with the bat turned and challenged me to fight. Well there was still at least 1 hundred feet between myself and him. I did not reply but just when in and called the police. Did I need any weapon that day? Well I say no, I had plenty of time to retreat in to the house. I do not recall if the police ever caught up with him.

I feel that I am more likely to get hurt as a result of an accident. And that is what I try (Still need) to prepare for.

The other thing is that I am very seldom anywhere that there are creatures that I would need any weapons to protect myself from. (Except the human creatures) Am I being completely clueless? Maybe somewhat, but I have made it this far, and I am still here.

I do carry a Gerber multi tool and a folding box cuter I suppose I could use them as weapon if the chips were down.

Jim

Kc8bdr

Edited by kc8bdr

It really depends on where you live if you live in the city and do most of your cache hunting in the city then pepper spray or a good walking stick can be all you need .I am not worried about people where i live i am more worried about Grizzly bears and bull moose,sometimes they are very stuborn and down right mean about sharing trails.I carry a Glock 30 45 cal.it is like insurance better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it....to those people in other countries that think we Americans are gun crazy remember this Citizens with guns are a goverened people, citizens without guns are a ruled people....:laughing:

To answer the OP's question: Yes.

What: Keltec .380 pocket gun or XD40, depending.

Why: feral dogs, goofs who think you're prey.

Not so much about the "goofs" part, but feral dogs can be a problem. We've encountered them in the past and they made us quite nervous. Get a people-aggressive pack leader and they can be very dangerous.

It's sad the number of dogs that are dropped off somewhere when they become unwanted. My dad has a real problem with them up around he lives. It's always open season on feral dogs. He sees a lot of strays up there before they go feral, too. He just calls the pound, because after years of rescues, he's dog poor.

While there haven't been any reports of feral dogs attacks in the region that I recall, there have been some jokers actually siccing their dogs on people for sport.

For those who say nothing bad will happen, this is just a few miles from downtown Los Angeles.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...;type=printable

ATVing in Colorado, my kids have had a cougar follow them on the trail. A 4 year old boy was attacked at Mesa Verde National Park a few years ago by a mountain lion. There are real dangers in the wild as well as in the city. Just being aware and prepared is the key, whether firearm, pepper spray, stun gun, knife or ugly sister. Most of us have a spare tire on our car that we never use, but all of us are sure glad its there.

I don't pack heat while caching, simply because I'm too lazy to go do the CCW training. :D

However, I will always have a 5 cell Maglite and either a 30 inch long piece of 1/2 inch pipe (Clothahump's +5 Wand of Poking) or a 6 foot staff (Clothahump's +10 Staff of Poking). I also have a knife of some sort handy. And I'll sometimes have SWMBO with me.

Given that I am a 5th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo and she's a 4th Degree, and that we teach the short stick, knife defenseand attacks, and the long staff in our school, I think we have the personal defense issues pretty well covered.

Is there any sort of protection one can use for snakes?

Snake bites are usually from the knee down, or on the hands and arms, so just the common sense stuff. Wear jeans or other heavy pants (good protection from brush too), over boots. Carry a walking stick, about as long as your height, use this to turn over items on the ground as well as for balance on uneven terrain. Leather gloves are also a good idea, OK to keep these tucked into hip pocket until needed.

Please note, above precautions not required when caching in urban areas, except in parks near water or unmowed areas.

Yes, and it is a method I recommend to all gun-owners.

The .38 and .22 caliber, and I am sure others, come in what is called snake-shot for just this purpose. Instead of a hard ball tip it is like a miniature shotgun shell, filled with small BB-like shot.

Many of the women I know carry, or have a pistol at home, and aside from protection from slithery critters it's a great non-lethal round for any situation.

Revolvers are almost fool-proof, so I recommend a variation on the .38 Police Special. The hammer sits on an empty cylinder, the first round is snake-shot, the remaining rounds are wadcutters.

In a snake-defense situation on the trail you, even if you are an expert, aren't very likely to hit a snake with ball ammo. Shot gives you a wide pattern, and therefore chance to actually hit something.

In a self-defense situation, unless you are a trained and experienced gun-handler (soldier, policeman) you will be so scared, upset and surprised that you aren't likely to hit the attacker with ball ammo anyway, shot gives you several advantages:

Never point a gun at someone unless you are willing to pull the trigger, but if you do;

you are less likely to hesitate if the first round is non-lethal.

you are likely to stop the attack and run off the aggressor by firing painful but non-lethal shot at him... remember, stopping the attack is the goal, not killing the aggressor.

you are much more likely to actually hit him with shot than ball.

you are much less likely to spend your life paying compensation to someone you shot with snake-shot than lethal ammo.

For home self-defense, you think someone is in your home, fire into the ceiling! Very few folks are gonna stay in your house after that! With snake-shot you can fix the ceiling with a bit of tooth-paste in the holes.

And, if you fire snake-shot into the ceiling, or even at the attacker, and hear your daughter scream "dadgum, Mom, I just came over to borrow some sugar!" you have much less of a tragedy on your hands. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler