Advice On Unit

If you need the extra map memory go for the Legend CX. If the magnetic compass is important to you then the Vista C is the way to go. Both are excellent units and the C units can be had at a great deal these days since the CX units came out.

If you travel frequently and widely you may want the extra map memory in the CX. If you do most of your caching/traveling within 50 miles or so of home the Vista C will have enough map memory for you.

Moving to appropriate forum

I pick up a new Legend (online) delivered for $125 and its great - however I am in a metro area with over 3000 caches within an hour drive. I wish my GPSr could hold more waypoints. A better antenna would also help. I was out last weekend in a local park and the the GPSr (while hanging around my neck) lost the satellight signal under "not so dense" tree cover. I had to stop walking and hold the unit away from my body for several minutes to regain signal.

I guess I'm the opposite. I have had a GPS with a compass for 6 years. I stopped using it for caching a year ago just to see if it mattered. I really did not miss it at all.

The point where I find it most useful is when caching under heavy tree cover. It's usually difficult to get signal for long enough to get even one reliable estimate of position never mind keep a sat lock for long enough when moving to get a bearing too.

With the electronic compass I only have to get one reliable position when standing still and I know which direction I have to go in. Yes obviously you can do that with a normal compass too but it's just easier to have it built into the GPS so you don't have to keep aligning the map.

just getting started - not sure which unit to purchase. any advice?

I started out using a Garmin e Trex Legend and it works great for finding Geocaches.

You can get a new one for $119.00 from Tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...9&sku=G145-0026

I also just purchased a Garmin e Trex Legend CX because I wanted the auto-routing feature, figured it would help me find out of town job sites. I really enjoy the colorize maps better than the what the basic Legend has to offer. You can purchase one for $234.99 from New Egg

(List Price $249.99 - $15 instant savings = $234.99 plus 3 day shipping $4.99 Total = $239.98)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16858108029

Edited by IronmOn

I guess I'm the opposite. I have had a GPS with a compass for 6 years. I stopped using it for caching a year ago just to see if it mattered. I really did not miss it at all.

I agree, a Magnetic compass in a GPS for Geocaching for the most part is not needed and is a waste of money. a person would be better off spending the extra money a good hiking sox, DEET, a Hat, Sunglasses, water bottle, or how about this a Real compass that will never need batteries. Or haw about a walking stick

I also just purchased a Garmin e Trex Legend CX because I wanted the auto-routing feature, figured it would help me find out of town job sites. I really enjoy the colorize maps better than the what the basic Legend has to offer. You can purchase one for $234.99 from New Egg

(List Price $249.99 - $15 instant savings = $234.99 plus 3 day shipping $4.99 Total = $239.98)

If you are contemplating the Legend Cx, get the Venture Cx instead, and get a larger SD card and a card reader with a USB cable (same price as a USB cable :lol:). As the previous poster mentioned, you will still come in under the price of a Legend.

I would suggest Venture Cx. Then get a USB cord and a micro SD card. The combined cost is less than the Legend Cx and you end up with the same thing or one with a bigger card.....

PLEASE TELL ME Where can you get the Venture Cx , USB Cable and 64 Micro SD Cards for cheaper price than buying a Legend CX $234.99 from New Egg

It also seems that all the latest Legend Cx's are coming with 64mb cards instead of 32mb cards

PLEASE TELL ME Where can you get the Venture Cx , USB Cable and 64 Micro SD Cards for cheaper price than buying a Legend CX $234.99 from New Egg

If 64 megs are enough for you, go for it.

Otherwise:

Venture Cx at Amazon $210 with super saver shipping

+ Crucial card reader from newegg for $8 + $5 shipping (comes with USB cable)

+ Sandisk 512 MB microSD card 19.99 shipped, after rebate from buy.com (see previous posting)

Total: $243

Which is 3 bucks more than the vista, but you get a 512 MB card, a microSD->SD adapter and a card reader. I wouldn't hesitate to call this a no brainer.

If 64 megs are enough for you, go for it.

Otherwise:

Venture Cx at Amazon $210 with super saver shipping

+ Crucial card reader from newegg for $8 + $5 shipping (comes with USB cable)

+ Sandisk 512 MB microSD card 19.99 shipped, after rebate from buy.com (see previous posting)

Total: $243

Which is 3 bucks more than the vista, but you get a 512 MB card, a microSD->SD adapter and a card reader. I wouldn't hesitate to call this a no brainer.

Cool, thanks for the info, my wife wants a new GPS now, and I will look into tha